FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: MKX wheel fitment. Calling wheel experts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 2008 MKX. The Mod bug recently bit me and I bought a set of 2nd Gen Ford Edge Sport 22's for it. I assumed they would fit with no issues. Well that's not the case apparently the hub size changed between generations from 70.5 mm to 63.4 mm. When I test fitted the 22's the wheels wouldn't go right up against the hub.

[Image: 5CD89D08-62DC-437F-8F7B-E8F90C5CEBE7-563...82e88f.jpg]

I can't find any info on other forums. On the edge forums I found a guy that had a 2nd Gen and needed to put a 7MM spacer to fit a 1st gen wheel for the winter. I wonder if I can do the same to go put a 2nd gen wheel on a 1st gen. If so Something like this should work.

Ebay 7MM Spacer

8MM Spacer in Ontario

Will that do the trick or do I need to get full 1" adapters?

I already have aftermarket lug nuts and waiting for Ford to stock the lock nuts again.

Here's how it looks with the 22's

[Image: A4AAD494-2992-4B97-B730-9ED575D23202-563...5f577a.jpg]
I would think you could also machine the hubs in the rim to fit over yours, but I think spacers are easier.

I would think 8mm spacer should do it, you just want the rim to be flush, and take care tightening the bolts as thats all you have now for alignment of the wheel.
Get the hub bored out to your size. Spacers are not a good idea if they are not hub centric. You have a lot of wheel and a lot of vehicle riding on studs only then.
Would adapters be a better option then having the hub bored out? Also what happens when I want to put the stockers back on for winter time?

Ohh wait a sec do you guys mean have the actual wheel bored out? Who does that, Carcone?
(09-30-2013, 11:35 PM)ZX3_2NV Wrote: [ -> ]Would adapters be a better option then having the hub bored out? Also what happens when I want to put the stockers back on for winter time?

Ohh wait a sec do you guys mean have the actual wheel bored out? Who does that, Carcone?

Yeah that's what I took from his post - get the wheel bored out - but it seems to me that you might not be able to find a major company to do that - they'd probably cite safety/liability concerns about altering a stock rim like that.
I googled a few wheel repair places and Carcone and I asked them if the bore out hubs and all the responses I got were no.
talk to lou at rockstar motorsports he does wonders with wheels and custom work
Go see a machine shop for boring the wheels out. I know one down here who would do it. At the end of the day you can always sign a waiver of liability if someone feels vulnerable

I gotta get my tsw's done this winter
Jamie, I don't mind coming out to your guy if you trust them. Let me know the contact info
I'll go talk to him today about it for cost since I have a set that needs doing anyways. I'll let ya know what he comes up with. He's one of those old boys who can make and machine just about anything. He did my Cossie modification for me too
Cool Thanks Jamie, Much appreciated

02ztsian

Do it yourself!
Take this...
[Image: DSCF8767.jpg]

One of these...

[Image: DSCF8768.jpg]

Measure carefully before attempting and you get this...
[Image: DSCF8766.jpg]

It's how I made the BBS rims with a 57.1mm bore fit the Merkur with a 63.4mm bore.
Did you find a rotor wheel in the bore size needed, or have to work it around?
(10-04-2013, 09:52 PM)GFXjamie Wrote: [ -> ]Did you find a rotor wheel in the bore size needed, or have to work it around?

Yeah the router bit bearings are available in different sizes - I gotta say though that the bit that's picture above looks like a massive cut to take in one pass - especially in metal. Your router must have some good torque.

02ztsian

Bought a rabbeting set from Lee Valley.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.as...46176&ap=1
Again, careful math and measuring and if necessary a spacer and you can bore out the center bore to fit.
(Original center bore minus desired center bore) divided by 2 will give you the amount of offset.
In the case of the Merkur-(63.4mm-57.1mm)/2=6.3mm/2 =3.15mm converted to imperial=0.124" or close enough to 0.125 which is 1/8".
And no I did not make one pass! I'll tell you I wasn't 100% sure the bit would cut aluminum and my butt was clenched tight as I made the first cut.
It cut no problem but I made a lot of smaller passes for sure and made a hell of a lot of shavings!
Practice first-use scrap board to determine the amount of offset you will actually get.
Wow you did a great job, but i'm not willing to try that myself.
So I took the drive out to Burlington to meet with Nous Spacers. I brought a wheel with me and test fitted the 8mm Spacer. It fit fine and still had enough tread for me to tighten the bolts properly. The rim barely sits on the lip of the hub but it seems perfectly fine. I've been cruising on them for a couple of weeks now with no issues.