Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rustproofing Rocker Panels
I have seen several Foci with rotted out rocker panels, so I want to try to make sure mine are protected. However, I am confused about how to get oil spray into them.

I have three Foci: 2010 SE four door, 2005 ZX5 SES, 2003 SE Wagon

The 2010 has never been treated, so I assume its drains/access points are as it left the factory. That car has a series of punched holes on the bottom face of the rocker. However, they have another panel just above them, which would make it tough to spray into.

On all three cars the inner vertical edge of the rockers have a series of what I called "formed passages" in the attached photos. On the 2010, all of those are open, and a wire goes in several centimeters. On the 2005 and 2003, some of those passages are blocked with what might be sealer. On the 2003, that sealer looks like it was meant to be there.

So, can anyone tell me the best way to get oil into the rockers? Should all those "formed passages" be open? Are there access points that I have not thought of?

Thanks for any help or opinions,

Bob the Duck Canuck

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Update:

I think I am figuring this out, with a little help from Google. I pulled the plastic interior sill (kick plate) trim off the 2010. There are large rectangular holes where the clips come out. Shining a light up from under the car, I can see those "formed passages" I mentioned. I think it is pretty clear that they are meant to be drains.

That means that the '03 and '05 have had those drains blocked by some helpful person on the assembly line (maybe just over-enthusiastic application of the goop between the rocker and the chassis side). In any event, I am going to start poking away at the sealer to get rid of it.

I guess I'll remove those interior trip strips on all the cars so the oil spray guy can get easier access....

Other comments or experiences still welcome.

Bob the Duck Canuck
Good eye, i've unplugged these in the past... only had it on my 05 that was rust proofed by the previous owner, but our 07 was clear of the crap and has never been sprayed for rust protection.
'14 Escape 2.0t
2012 5dr Ti : Traded
(10-28-2011, 08:49 AM)euro_zx5 Wrote: Good eye, i've unplugged these in the past... only had it on my 05 that was rust proofed by the previous owner, but our 07 was clear of the crap and has never been sprayed for rust protection.

Wow, I can't imagine why Ford wasn't dragged over the coals for that screw up. I have seen MANY rotted out Focus rocker panels in parking lots, and now I know why.

When I cleaned out the blockages on the 03, dust came out of the drains! I suppose that is better than water.... I wonder if I should try to hose them out before I take it to be sprayed.

Anyway, the 2010 went in and got sprayed today. It got an excellent treatment because I asked to talk with the guy who was going to do the application. I think it must be rare that anyone asks to see him, because he really enjoyed the discussion, and then he spent over an hour doing the application.

I'll have to clear the drains on the 05 over the weekend and take it back to be touched up.

Bob the Duck Canuck
(10-29-2011, 11:23 AM)duckcanuck Wrote:
(10-28-2011, 08:49 AM)euro_zx5 Wrote: Good eye, i've unplugged these in the past... only had it on my 05 that was rust proofed by the previous owner, but our 07 was clear of the crap and has never been sprayed for rust protection.

Wow, I can't imagine why Ford wasn't dragged over the coals for that screw up. I have seen MANY rotted out Focus rocker panels in parking lots, and now I know why.

When I cleaned out the blockages on the 03, dust came out of the drains! I suppose that is better than water.... I wonder if I should try to hose them out before I take it to be sprayed.

Anyway, the 2010 went in and got sprayed today. It got an excellent treatment because I asked to talk with the guy who was going to do the application. I think it must be rare that anyone asks to see him, because he really enjoyed the discussion, and then he spent over an hour doing the application.

I'll have to clear the drains on the 05 over the weekend and take it back to be touched up.

Bob the Duck Canuck

Good update - thanks. Sounds like you're recommending the shop you went to - which one?
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
(10-29-2011, 05:02 PM)ZTWsquared Wrote: Good update - thanks. Sounds like you're recommending the shop you went to - which one?

I went to Canadian Auto Mall, on Hazeldean Road near Stittsville (West of Ottawa). They spray Dominion Sure Seal, which is the mostly-clear-slightly-yellow product.

I chose them over Crown because Crown wanted to drill twenty holes in the car, to get access. To me, those drilled holes are going to rust later on.

Of course, it really all comes down to the guy doing the application. "Mike" seemed like he took the job seriously, and listened to the suggestions I had.

Bob the Duck Canuck