Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
loose steering.
So i am having trouble with my steering feeling loose , but there is no play in my steering wheel. Im replacing the wheel bearings so maybe i can take a closer look, but does anybody have some ideas of what it could be?
(04-11-2012, 02:22 AM)adamzx5 Wrote: So i am having trouble with my steering feeling loose , but there is no play in my steering wheel. Im replacing the wheel bearings so maybe i can take a closer look, but does anybody have some ideas of what it could be?

I just replaced the front lower control arms (including new ball joints) and I also replaced the stabilizer links and the tie rod ends - I couldn't believe how much tighter and quieter the front end is now - not to mention how much tighter the handling is.

You didn't mention how many clicks on your car, but the real test is to jack the tire off the ground and move the wheel itself to check how loose it is. Check for back and forth and up and down looseness.

The only time you'd feel any looseness in the steering wheel is if your rack was done. Having said that - if you leave a worn front end too long it will reduce the life span of your steering rack.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
my car only has 169000kms, im thinking it might just be in my head lol.
(04-11-2012, 05:22 AM)adamzx5 Wrote: my car only has 169000kms, im thinking it might just be in my head lol.

No you're due.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
They replaced pretty much all that when i bought the car at 139000 kms.
They hooked me up pretty good because my girlfriends grandpa owns the dealership i got it at lol.
When i had the front off the ground tonight , there was no play in the wheels.
The Wheel bearing could cause a floaty/loose feeling if it gets severe. Also yes the Racks are notorious.
02' SONIC BLUE, SVTF #2686 OF 4788
K&N FIPK
SCT XCAL-2 POWERED BY STEEDA
SCREAMIN' DEMON COIL PACK & LIVEWIRES
STEEDA STRUT TOWER BRACE (SONIC BLUE)
STEEDA STS
STEEDA REAR POLY MOTOR MOUNT
DEI HEADER WRAP
MBRP 2.5" EXHAUST
EBC GREENSTUFF PADS
EBC SLOTTED AND DIMPLED ROTORS
RUSSELL STEEL BRAIDED LINES
EURO SVT RIMS 17" General Exclaim UHP
ALPINE H/U

Winter package includes Euro SVT RIMS with Nokian WR'S
Grab a tape measure and a helper. Measure your front tires. Do the front then the back of the tires for a quick toe-in/toe-out check.