Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MTX-75 axle shafts - uprated ones?
Uhm, yup. Pretty sure that both of my axles are angry right now. High-speed clunk at times, like a wobbly clunk. Also, a clunk when applying torque and occasionally when removing load from the drivetrain.

OK, sometimes I DO flog it some - this I admit. It must be a combo of the race clutch and motor upgrades tho, because at least one of those axles is new. However, Fuzion HRis have the stickiness of olive oil on anything but dry roads so I think the "basic" axles are just crap.

So, where do I find uprated axle shafts for the MTX-75? Ken? (a helpful distraction from your current events? Smile ) Anyone?
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.
driveline clunk? check upper tranny mount?

i just had mine replaced and it definitely made a big improvement - then again, the old mount was bust.
2003 Focus ZX5 Racecar/Perma broke/Storage
2011 Volkswagen Jetta Daily Driver
(04-27-2012, 09:53 PM)NOS2Go4Me Wrote: Uhm, yup. Pretty sure that both of my axles are angry right now. High-speed clunk at times, like a wobbly clunk. Also, a clunk when applying torque and occasionally when removing load from the drivetrain.

OK, sometimes I DO flog it some - this I admit. It must be a combo of the race clutch and motor upgrades tho, because at least one of those axles is new. However, Fuzion HRis have the stickiness of olive oil on anything but dry roads so I think the "basic" axles are just crap.

So, where do I find uprated axle shafts for the MTX-75? Ken? (a helpful distraction from your current events? Smile ) Anyone?

Hey Adam. I'm not aware of anyone producing a high-performance version of our axles - but I'll tell you what I did for mine, but first: don't forget that the axle connects to the transmission (yeah, I know - duh!) but the point being make sure the problem isn't the tranny.

Just as a precaution when I supercharged the red track rat and put in the spec stage II clutch and planned on tracking with Azenis RT-615 I decided to go ahead and replace the axle shafts while the engine and tranny was out - so I went through the process of looking for replacements.

What I ended up doing was buying from Autozone in the US - they have what they call the "Gold" standard of remans that came with a life-time warranty. I can't remember what the tech told me they did differently (and truth be told maybe the extra 20 bucks just bought the warranty LOL) but the claim was that these remans were superior to the originals.

My experience so far has been excellent. All that time on the red track rat - including half a dozen track weekends and an off-road incident - and now on the silver car and they are noise free and trouble free.

Considering the warranty and the low cost (around $80 US per side) my feeling was even if I had to replace them every year it wasn't going to be too bad. Well - 2 1/2 years on and no sign of problem yet.

Hope this helps. Ken.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Yeah, Oscar and I have discussed this briefly, re: motor mounts. I might just get a whole VF Engineering kit.

Ken - Maslack (local parts guys) has a "better" version of the axles, and the "jobber" version. This last, crappier version is what I installed previously. I was going to see if the "better" version compares favourably to your mentioned axles. The tranny isn't suspect right now as it isn't doing anything else odd / out of the ordinary. The car still shifts, drives, runs. I'm also of the mind it's at least partly due to the axles because over, uhm, "the speed limit" there's a definite vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel and this was prevalent before when my last axles were done. They're not as bad as when I bought the car, but it feels like they're on their way there. (+1 internets for proper use of they're / their / there?)

I was wondering if you can get me a cost on a full replacement set of stock mounts, Ken. I had meant to ask you about a price earlier, but between work and our short convo it slipped my mind. Smile
Daily driver 1: 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport "S"

33" BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, lots of Rough Country gear - bumper, 2.5" lift, swaybar disconnects, Superwinch 10,000lb winch, Detroit Locker in rear D44 axle, custom exhaust, K+N filtercharger, Superchips-tuned.

Daily driver 2: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT

COBB Stage 1+ package - AccessPort tuner, COBB intake and airbox. Stage 2 coming shortly - COBB 3" AT stainless DP and race cat, custom 3" Magnaflow-based exhaust and Stage 2 COBB tune.