Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a little reminder why to buy oem replacement parts
Well, this weekend I finally got a clutch in the car with the knowledge and work of matt (burnin1). Everything was going wiked, nothing gave him issues and had it almost all wrapped up in 5-6 hours. We went to bleed the clutch and that's where the issue started, we weren't getting fluid to the slave, then we got pedal pressure for all of 2 minutes and then it goes soft... What gives?

After 2 hours of dicking around trying to relieve a possible air lock, we find the new clutch master cylinder I put in 3 months ago was garbage

The rod that attaches to the pedal broke inside the master cylinder, before we even had full pressure. Matt fortunately had a oem ford unit at home so we hauled, got that and proceeded to do a cmc swap out.

In the end, it worked out because luck was on our side for one thing, but the cmc I got was not an oem one off rock auto.

So for those who wonder, especially for things like this, buy oem. It turned a 5-6 hour job into a 12 hour job by time we were driving again
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
(09-10-2012, 10:25 PM)GFXjamie Wrote: Well, this weekend I finally got a clutch in the car with the knowledge and work of matt (burnin1). Everything was going wiked, nothing gave him issues and had it almost all wrapped up in 5-6 hours. We went to bleed the clutch and that's where the issue started, we weren't getting fluid to the slave, then we got pedal pressure for all of 2 minutes and then it goes soft... What gives?

After 2 hours of dicking around trying to relieve a possible air lock, we find the new clutch master cylinder I put in 3 months ago was garbage

The rod that attaches to the pedal broke inside the master cylinder, before we even had full pressure. Matt fortunately had a oem ford unit at home so we hauled, got that and proceeded to do a cmc swap out.

In the end, it worked out because luck was on our side for one thing, but the cmc I got was not an oem one off rock auto.

So for those who wonder, especially for things like this, buy oem. It turned a 5-6 hour job into a 12 hour job by time we were driving again

Experience is the best teacher. My own personal rule of thumb is to use OE wherever possible, but especially when significant labour is involved to replace it.

Having said that, OE in this country is uber expensive; too often the only choice we have is super expensive OE stuff vs. only slightly less expensive garbage from CT.

So my advice also is to buy in the US but also plan ahead and have spares on hand. I have a Ford clutch master cylinder in my garage as we speak along with a couple of sets of plugs, various filters, pads and rotors (track usage takes its toll) and all kinds of stuff I bought cheap in the US but wouldn't want to wait for if something broke.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
When i had bought it, i didnt really think to be honest. The ford one was more expensive of course, but they are visually identical in every way. I figured why not...

good thing i got the OEM slave from ya ken, i couldnt handle another mishap in one day... and with my luck well... you know.

At the end of the day, we got the CMC swapped out fairly quick, except for a rod that didnt want to go onto the pedal assembly and stay there... (popped off while bleeding clutch which is stupid stiff) it certainly didnt take the time it took the first time to do it, but when u have 2 people who have done them doing it as the same time... it goes fast.
2007 ZX4 2.0l unaturally aspirated
FSwerks stage 2 Turbo kit, Cosworth Intake Manifold, 3" custom HKS turbo back
regular stage 2 @10ps : 232whp/219wtq
stage 2 plus @ 13psi: 278whp/229wtq
Stage 2 plus @15psi: 296whp/240wtq

2013 Focus ST Tuxedo Black - The daily
As a heads up for those who don't know already, Tousley Ford in the US carries all the OEM parts at a significant savings. The downside is the shipping to Canada, which they have little control over.

Two ways around that, though; the easiest being having it shipped to a friend that can bring it over, the second is shipping it to the UPS depot in Niagara Falls (6601 Packard Rd) and pick it up (it's about 5 minutes from either the Queenston-Lewiston or the Rainbow bridge). If you ship it to the depot, it's sent as "customer hold"; they'll call you when the package gets there and you have to show your ID (ie passport) to get it.

To give you an idea, when the A/C clutch on my Ranger went, they wanted $240 for the assembly here (and you'll have to strip and install it from the compressor yourself). For $230 shipped I got a whole new OEM compressor with the clutch installed, oiled and ready to install. While I was over I bought enough cans of R134a refrigerant (THE REAL STUFF, not the Red Tek fake stuff) and then saved another $20 filling the truck's fuel tank.

New adjustable Mustang headrests ($117 vs $240 ea), California Special valance ($195 vs $350), etc. You generally save between 25-50%.
TEAM PITA: Don't settle for a wannabe, only accept the real deal.
*Magnetic Metallic 2015 Focus ST* *Red Candy Metallic 2012 F150 SuperCrew*
*Supercharged Roush Phase 2 Kona Blue 2012 Mustang GT*
(09-12-2012, 09:20 PM)OAC_Sparky Wrote: As a heads up for those who don't know already, Tousley Ford in the US carries all the OEM parts at a significant savings. The downside is the shipping to Canada, which they have little control over.

Two ways around that, though; the easiest being having it shipped to a friend that can bring it over, the second is shipping it to the UPS depot in Niagara Falls (6601 Packard Rd) and pick it up (it's about 5 minutes from either the Queenston-Lewiston or the Rainbow bridge). If you ship it to the depot, it's sent as "customer hold"; they'll call you when the package gets there and you have to show your ID (ie passport) to get it.

To give you an idea, when the A/C clutch on my Ranger went, they wanted $240 for the assembly here (and you'll have to strip and install it from the compressor yourself). For $230 shipped I got a whole new OEM compressor with the clutch installed, oiled and ready to install. While I was over I bought enough cans of R134a refrigerant (THE REAL STUFF, not the Red Tek fake stuff) and then saved another $20 filling the truck's fuel tank.

New adjustable Mustang headrests ($117 vs $240 ea), California Special valance ($195 vs $350), etc. You generally save between 25-50%.

Over the years doing this ^^ I've saved thousands of dollars and it's now to the point where I go down to the US every couple of weeks.

So if anyone wants to ship something to Niagara Falls and wants me to bring it back for them, let me know; for a modest compensation (much less than the cost of gas to and from) I will pick it up, clear customs and bring it back to the GTA for you. I also have an address you can use.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *