Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A/C Compressor not running on defrost mode.
Hey All,

I've been having some periodic issues with window fogging(on my '07) as the weather has been cooling down. The other night, it got really bad - even with the car at operating temp, I had to open the windows to clear the fog. While trying to clear the windows, I noticed that my A/C compressor was not cycling on when I moved the heater control into the defrost position. After a bit of Googling, one possibility I came across was that my refrigerant might be low enough to trigger the low pressure switch to disable the compressor.

Has anyone else come across an issue like this? If I am low on refrigerant, could it have just dissipated over time or is a leak a sure thing?

I did just notice the other thread discussing the air recirculation flap so I'll look into it tonight when I get home, although I don't think it would explain the A/C compressor not coming on.

Thanks!
-George
07' ZX4 SES - Steeda SRI - Xcal3 w/Steeda 91 tune - Hi-flow cat - Magnaflow 2.5 cat back - Massive Strut Bar
123whp - 137wtq (Out of date)
(11-27-2012, 07:10 AM)Scourge Wrote: Hey All,

I've been having some periodic issues with window fogging(on my '07) as the weather has been cooling down. The other night, it got really bad - even with the car at operating temp, I had to open the windows to clear the fog. While trying to clear the windows, I noticed that my A/C compressor was not cycling on when I moved the heater control into the defrost position. After a bit of Googling, one possibility I came across was that my refrigerant might be low enough to trigger the low pressure switch to disable the compressor.

Has anyone else come across an issue like this? If I am low on refrigerant, could it have just dissipated over time or is a leak a sure thing?

I did just notice the other thread discussing the air recirculation flap so I'll look into it tonight when I get home, although I don't think it would explain the A/C compressor not coming on.

Thanks!
-George

Happened to me last year, all I had to do was buy an A/C recharge kit and recharged the A/C. Blows ice cold in the summer and defrosts in seconds in the winter. The kits are around $60.00
2003 ZX5
"I feel like a silver bullet"
SVT wheels
SVT suspension
AEM intake
With a hint of dip

[Image: 158491.png]
Hey George - this may be a stupid question but does the a/c compressor cycle when you turn it on via the switch?

If yes then it's not your a/c charge - - if no, then that's where you should start.

(11-27-2012, 07:10 AM)Scourge Wrote: Hey All,

Thanks!
-George

2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Hey ken, it doesn't seem to come on at all. From what I've been reading, if the refrigerant charge is too low, the compressor won't come on without bypassing the relay. Also looks like I can only get R12A to charge it myself which requires a system discharge. It's looking like I'll just be taking it to a shop.

-George
07' ZX4 SES - Steeda SRI - Xcal3 w/Steeda 91 tune - Hi-flow cat - Magnaflow 2.5 cat back - Massive Strut Bar
(11-27-2012, 09:30 PM)Scourge Wrote: Hey ken, it doesn't seem to come on at all. From what I've been reading, if the refrigerant charge is too low, the compressor won't come on without bypassing the relay. Also looks like I can only get R12A to charge it myself which requires a system discharge. It's looking like I'll just be taking it to a shop.

-George

You are correct - it won't come on if the pressure is too low.

Although there may be something else at play here, your best bet is to first make sure the charge is what it should be, and that your system has no leaks.

If you're not in a big hurry I can get you an R134 recharge kit with valve, leak detector and lubricator/sealer for about 70 bucks in the states (if I recall the price correctly - I bought about a dozen for friends and family over this past summer) - might be a week or so before I go down there next.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

Thanks Ken,

Some other circumstances have left me with the morning free tomorrow, so I'm going to take it in to the shop for some other work and I'll have them do the leak test on it. It's good to know you can get the R134 kits though.

On another note, we moved last week and I have a garage to work in now, so I'll likely have some parts orders coming your way in the near future. Smile

-George
(11-28-2012, 06:16 AM)Scourge Wrote: Thanks Ken,

Some other circumstances have left me with the morning free tomorrow, so I'm going to take it in to the shop for some other work and I'll have them do the leak test on it. It's good to know you can get the R134 kits though.

On another note, we moved last week and I have a garage to work in now, so I'll likely have some parts orders coming your way in the near future. Smile

-George

You can buy a recharge kit from Canadian Tire, it worked pretty good for me. But the kit from ZTWsquared sounds much better than the one I used from Canadian Tire, if your in no hurry that's the kit to go with.
2003 ZX5
"I feel like a silver bullet"
SVT wheels
SVT suspension
AEM intake
With a hint of dip

[Image: 158491.png]
(11-28-2012, 06:41 AM)Lucster1000 Wrote:
(11-28-2012, 06:16 AM)Scourge Wrote: Thanks Ken,

-George

You can buy a recharge kit from Canadian Tire, it worked pretty good for me. But the kit from ZTWsquared sounds much better than the one I used from Canadian Tire, if your in no hurry that's the kit to go with.

If I'm not mistaken the Redtec or Duracool systems that CTC sells are both propane based refrigerants (R12 is basically propane minus the odorant IIRC) which has slightly different operating parameters and may represent a "can't-go-back" modification. There is also apparently some question about propane's compatibility with the ester based lubricants used in R134 systems but that could be propaganda - or, LOL, I might simply have my info wrong.

The reason these represent a viable option in Canada is because only authorized technicians with the proper (read expensive) equipment are allowed to work with R134 refrigerant - the last time I checked I was told it would cost 80 bucks just to check my system and then another 100 to service it assuming no leaks. So moving to a DIY propane based solution is relatively speaking very attractive.

Well, the A/C compressor was working fine last night when I checked it. Oddly enough, the recirculator flap is not working, but mine is stuck in the fresh air position. I had the mechanic check the system this morning and my pressure is fine, so no idea what caused the issue. I'm going to wait and see if it happens again.

I did however find out that the sway bar end links I replaced in August are pooched again, partsource is really going to regret their lifetime warranty. Smile