Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Removing / replacing Split Port Engine
I've managed to pull both engines and separate the transmissions. The replacement engine is unfortunately another split port, but it runs and the junk engine is destroyed, dropped a valve seal on the forth cyclinder. Three things I found out from removing split port engines that I could pass on. One: the drive shafts cause most of the problem in lifting the engine out with the transmission attached. Two: the starter is a nightmare to get out with three bolts instead of two, the bolt head can break off or strip to a round end. Three: it's very easy to break off the transmission cooling lines, I broke both even with separating the cooling element from between the radiator (which I remove entirely first) and the a/c radiator.
The starter shares the same metal gasket as the engine and transmission, and because the alignment pins are on the engine, you need to attach the starter to the transmission before joining the transmission back to the engine, which I didn't do and now I'm forced to remove the intake manifold bottom bracket to get the starter in. Of course the first of four bolts I tried to remove on it broke off.
Right now I have an engine and transmission suspended over an empty engine compartment and two shelves full of nuts, bolts and intake pieces.
I don't know how I'm going to get the drive shafts back on, as the driver's side one came apart at the rubber sleeve and the worst grease I ever saw dripped out on the floor. That will be a real challenge I'm sure.

It takes more than talk to get things done.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Removing / replacing Split Port Engine - ErnessW - 12-11-2013, 04:48 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Split Port Trouble Installing Starter on a 2002 Focus ErnessW 1 2,266 12-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Last Post: ErnessW