Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oddball Rear Brake Noise I've Never Heard Before
I guess that is one way to describe it.

Anyhow, have an 05 with rear drums. Last weekend I replaced the shoes and drums. Everything went just fine, and I've driven it for a week with no issues.

Yesterday I started hearing a little tick type noise when I applied the brakes. Seems to come and go. It was only on one side.

Today it started again, and now its really loud. Doesn't matter if I'm turning left/right. I just have to apply the brakes and its a pretty loud tick tick type noise from what sounds like both sides now.

I wish I could put sound to words a bit better to describe the issue. Or maybe like a thud thud thud type of noise. Definitely isn't squeaking.

My only guess is I possibly screwed up installing a spring and it popped off. But I don't see how both sides would pop off, and I only did one side at a time so i'd have a reference when changing them out. Possible problem with the brake cylinders? Again, both at once seems a little out there.

Any ideas? Its driving me nuts. Hopefully its not a big problem since I have to go to Brampton 3 times this week for work. Boo!
The new: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
Probably the pins are dry
oil them up andsee how that goes.
Currently - 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Work Truck. Needs a Super Charger
2012 F150 Eco Boost Work Truck < Died several times and now it's some farmer problem.
No Longer Sleeping/In Surgery Having A Heart Transplant - 2005 Focus ZX5 Sonic Blue Modified
Sold - 1992 Astro Van CS Sky Blue Stock
Sold - 1994 Excel 2DR HB Teal First Car

could be lug nuts are loose..
BLACKBOX(DASHCAM) | LED | HID | REMOTE STARTER + SECURITY | 12 VOLT ACCESSORIES | CAR ENTERTAINMENT | PERFORMANCE UPGRADE | MAINTENANCE REPAIR
[Image: banner_468x60_zps1c433cb9.gif]
info@motormaniac.ca | 905.508.3737
If you are calling after hours, please leave a pm or detailed voice mail and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thanks for those tips. I'll check the lugs again just to be sure.. easiest thing. If thats not it, looks like I'm tearing the rear end apart tomorrow to grease things up (the regular grease you use for the backing plates I assume).
The old: 2005 ZX4 - MBRP 2.25", Marcy Motorsport CAI. SCT Tuning, Eibach Pro-System
--
Team PITA
Could be an adjuster rubbing on the drum? Had that happen once with the old Mustang...
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
well drums come off tomorrow night. had a guy i've been working with listen to things with me, and he thinks its either the brake adjuster being screwed up, or maybe a spring popped off.

But he couldn't hear anything from outside the car when i drove past and pulled the brake.

Hopefully it'll be something easy.
--
Team PITA
Ok I took the drums off, checked everything out. All the springs are in place, no weirdness showing when I checked out the shoes and drums.

Drum possibly out of round? I'm out of ideas.

I beveled the edges of the shoes a bit to see if that would do anything if something was hanging, but no good.

I took pictures of what I saw when I took the drums off, and I'll put them up after dinner. But I can't see anything wrong.
--
Team PITA
Pictures of stuff..

Passenger's side:
[Image: P7303474.jpg]
[Image: P7303475.jpg]

Driver's side:

[Image: P7303476.jpg]
[Image: P7303477.jpg]

And what are these called? Looks like they're in need of replacing (both sides) :
[Image: P7303478.jpg]

Still out of ideas. Any springs look backwards? (can't find any pictures when i searched)..

somehow got air in the line?
--
Team PITA
Problem solved. The shoes were bad. On a whim, put the old drums back on since they weren't too bad, and went for a test drive. Same noise. So that narroed things down.

When I removed the old &quot;new&quot; ones, the leading edge on the back shoe was torn up really bad, and there wasn't much wear on the rest of them.

Got new ones, bedded them in and beat on them, and they stop. Yanking the parking brake also worked like a charm. Even adjusted that in my moment of triumph.

--
Team PITA
Good work!

How much were the parts? I need to do mine soon.
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
I got the &quot;premium&quot; quality shoes at Partsource for $64 on sale instead of $75 (the midrange are still at regular price for $69 - go figure). I forget the brand name on the box though. Don't forget brake cleaner &amp; lube while you're there.

Drums.. I bought those in NY when I was home, and they were $50 each, with new bearings already installed and greased. Hardware kit (springs, clips, and pins) was like $9.

Plus you get the added bonus of having nice pictures for reference!
--
Team PITA
Glad you got things sorted out Todd. When do I get my tools back? LOL :lol: :rolleyes: :D
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Lemme know when you'll be around! I don't believe I'm working at all this week, so my schedule is pretty open.
--
Team PITA
You should come out to the meet tonight. We can cruise out together.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
Sorry was busy yesterday. Also, the car needs a REALLY good cleaning before I take it anywhere.. its a disaster, and driving back roads all weekend didn't help it's appearance.
--
Team PITA
Looks like the shoes weren't bad. Maybe it had something to do with the earlier noise.

BUT, the problem is back after a couple of weeks. I can't figure it out. Everything was working great, and all the sudden its back to it's old tricks.

Short of bleeding the brakes and/or changing cylinders, I'm out of bright ideas.

One thing I do recall now from the first time I did them, is that I was screwing around in the driver's seat screwing around with the radio and accidently pushed the brake pedal, which sent the pistons out pretty far and leaked a bit (drums weren't on yet). Maybe air snuck in when I pushed the pistons back?

I'm noticing the pedal getting a little spongy, so going to bleed them and see if that remedies both situations.
--
Team PITA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  svt rear brake question drunkinmonkey 3 1,803 05-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Last Post: GFXjamie