Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rough week... First a leak, then another...
It's been a rough week for the Focus. First was coming home yesterday, moving the car around, and realizing there was an inch of water on the passenger side floor. Damnit. Cowl wasn't sealed properly and it poured all day, so now I have to re-seal it. Clear caulking FTW!

Then today, on my way back to work after lunch, I notice a burning smell. I get to my companies 'other' office, by then there is smoke, and pop the hood. The high pressure power steering line has rusted through right above the exhaust manifold, and power steering fluid spraying down onto the manifold and catalytic converter. Luckily, the 'other' office is right next to Canadian Tire. I run in, pick up some Mercon ATF, top up the ps fluid reservoir, and head to my office. By the time I get there (about 3 minutes), the cabin is full of burnt ATF smoke, and the whole area is hazy. I pull in the parking spot, shut it down, pop the hood, and let it air out. Smoke billowed out for about 5 minutes. Went inside, called around, ordered a new PS line ($60 from No Limits Autoparts vs. $110 everywhere else!) and called CAA and had it towed home. Thank God for CAA Plus! It's currently in my garage, up on ramps, ready to go.

Now I know what I get to do for the weekend... Does anybody have any tips for removing the old PS line?

-Ryan
Ryan and the Silver Sedan
++++++++++++++++++++++++
2008 Mazda5 GS/Copper Red Mica/2.3 MZR 5AT/22% Tint
[Image: 49951.png]
2011 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew/Race Red/3.5 TT EcoBoost
That really sucks man. Now you have me worried about my PS hose. LOL. I have 600+ KM of driving to do this weekend.

It should be pretty straight forward to do. Let us know how difficult it ends up being. I think I am replacing my rad hoses this weekend.
Focus man, Focus........ Team Psychological Disaster
2008 Taurus X to be modded.
2002 ZX5 parted out. Forever known as the "SLOCUS".

2010 Dyno #'s 102.96HP/105.84TQ
2011 Dyno #'s 111.44HP/115.17TQ
Still The Weakest LinkBlush

Dial 1-800-AUTO-PARTS for your local speed shop.
sounds like when I bought my new focus, with the list of repairs I can now add, leaking brake fluid from the clutch peddle is the newest issue, and thats not including the $1100 I've spent just repairing basic things that should have been repaird before I got the car.
I was the only member on this board with a Yellow Focus Sedan, and a 2002+ Euro Facelift on a sedan.
This might help:

SECTION 211-02: Power Steering 2000 Focus Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION Procedure revision date: 12/14/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power Steering Pump to Steering Gear Pressure Line

Special Tool(s) Installer, Set, Teflon Seal
211-D027 (D90P-3517-A) or equivalent
Disconnect Tool, Spring Lock Coupling
310-041 (T90T-9550-C)

Removal

All Vehicles

NOTE: Whenever the hoses are disconnected from the power steering pump, make sure the accessory drive belt is not contaminated with power steering fluid.

Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.
Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.

Using the special tool, disconnect the fluid cooler hose.
Insert the special tool into the hose quick- release coupling.
Move the special tool along the pipe to release the locking tangs.
Allow the fluid to drain into a suitable container.

Detach the power steering line support clamp.

Disconnect the power steering lines from the steering gear.
Remove the bolt.
Rotate the clamp plate.

Vehicles with 2.0L Zetec engine

Disconnect the power steering line from the power steering pump.
Allow the fluid to drain into a suitable container

All vehicles

Lower the vehicle

Detach the power steering line support brackets.
Remove the bolts.
Detach the speed control cable (if equipped).

Vehicles with 2.0L SPI engine

Detach the power steering line support brackets.

Disconnect the power steering line from the power steering pump.

All Vehicles

Remove the power steering pump to steering gear pressure line.
Installation

All Vehicles

Using the special tool, install a new O-ring seal onto the steering gear to power steering pump union.
Push the new O-ring seal onto the special tool.
Locate the special tool onto the union and install the O-ring seal.

CAUTION: Make sure the line is routed correctly.

Install the power steering pump to steering gear pressure line into position.

Attach the power steering line support brackets.
Install the bolts.
Attach the speed control cable (if equipped).

Vehicles with 2.0L SPI engine

Connect the power steering line to the power steering pump.

Attach the power steering line support brackets.

All Vehicles

Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.

Install the power steering line to the power steering pump.

CAUTION: Make sure the power steering lines are correctly located in the valve body.

Connect the power steering lines to the power steering gear.
Rotate the clamp plate.
Install the bolt.

Attach the power steering line support clamp.

Connect the fluid cooler hose.

Lower the vehicle.
Connect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01.
Fill and bleed the power steering system. For additional information, refer to Section 211-00.
PPSSSSSSSSSTTTTT......CHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

2000 Black zx3-daily driver> Stealth bomber
custom "bigman" turbo, all Black everything, SVT blue interior,
SVT suspension, Magnaflow exhaust, AEM gauges
2000 Yellow ZX3...stock with MRBP exhaust...
1979 Mercury Capri 5.0 swap (work in progress)
2002 focus SE-wrecked/scraped/parted out RIP
1993 Vw Passat 1.9L tdi...das diesel sipper sold parted RIP
1993 mazda B2600 4x4 POS, parted, rusted to pieces
1990 Toyota 4runner 4x4 mud beast
If the new PS line doesn't come with the pump-side connector (looks like a tube nut, but isn't) ... you will need to get a new one.

These are one-time connectors and you won't be able to detach the existing one from your old line - it has an internal snap ring that is impossible to disengage.

Most Ford Canada dealerships stock them, but most counter personnel get it wrong ... the part number is F5RZ3R608B and it's about $8 ... pricey but there isn't any alternative available in the aftermarket.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *
Thanks Ken. I'll check it out. I picked it up tonight. Its an 'Edelman' brand, if that means anything...
++++++++++++++++++++++++
(10-09-2010, 08:07 AM)reldridge Wrote: Thanks Ken. I'll check it out. I picked it up tonight. Its an 'Edelman' brand, if that means anything...

Plews Edelman ... speaking of the connector, I got this from their website - sounds promising:

Exclusive Stake-Nut Design
Edelmann continues to be a problem solver. Ford Motor Company designed a snap-ring retained male fitting which worked well on the production line, but proved to be a problem area for the mechanic in the replacement market. Installers frequently over-torqued the fitting, causing it to rupture. Tightening the fitting beyond the recommended setting collapsed the snap ring and caused the tube to blow out of the threaded fitting.

Other aftermarket manufacturers duplicated Ford's design, and in doing so, re-created the same failure problem.

Edelmann designed the positive-stop stake-nut fitting to eliminate rupture due to over-torque. This unique design is exclusive to Edelmann power steering assemblies."
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

Checked it out. There is a nut on the pump end. The rack end has what looks like a compression fitting. Do I need a special tool for that end?
++++++++++++++++++++++++
(10-09-2010, 11:27 AM)reldridge Wrote: Checked it out. There is a nut on the pump end. The rack end has what looks like a compression fitting. Do I need a special tool for that end?

I don't think so ... IIRC you simply push the tube in by hand and then swivel the locking plate over the tube ... and then tighten down the locking plate.

I'm feeling your pain. I don't think there's anything worst then power-steering or transmission fluid spewed all over an engine compartment. It's a nasty, messy clean-up. I've always wanted to have my engine steam-cleaned after, but usually it happens when the funds aren't there.
Looks like I'll be in business once I have the time to work on it. Dang holiday weekend. Smile I've soaked everything in PB Blaster to get the mounting bolts loose.

What do people recommend for PS fluid? The manual says "Mercon ATF". Is Dextron III/Mercon good enough, or should I refill with Mercon V?
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ok, so I've had some trouble. I couldn't get the high pressure line off of the PS pump. So, I cut the line off as close as I could, and removed the PS pump, and then removed the fitting on my work bench. That's after disassembling most of the front passenger side of the car (head light, grill, coolant overflow, etc.). Then, I traced the broken line to the rack. I removed the clip retaining bolt, and it won't budge. I see there is another 'clamp' holding the high pressure line as well as another line on top of the steering rack.

Is there a small bolt holding it on? Anybody know what size it is?
++++++++++++++++++++++++
(10-14-2010, 01:49 PM)reldridge Wrote: Ok, so I've had some trouble. I couldn't get the high pressure line off of the PS pump. So, I cut the line off as close as I could, and removed the PS pump, and then removed the fitting on my work bench. That's after disassembling most of the front passenger side of the car (head light, grill, coolant overflow, etc.). Then, I traced the broken line to the rack. I removed the clip retaining bolt, and it won't budge. I see there is another 'clamp' holding the high pressure line as well as another line on top of the steering rack.

Is there a small bolt holding it on? Anybody know what size it is?

Definitely a bolt there - probably in the 8mm to 10mm size - it holds down what Ford calls the "clamp plate" - sorry I couldn't be more helpful

Ok, I got that bolt out of there. Weird, it took a 7/32 socket to get it out. Too small for a 6mm, too big for 5mm.

Now, I can't get the freaking line out of the rack. Bolt and 'clip' came out no problem, but the line is being a bugger. Seems to be plenty of rust on it holding it in. Anybody got any tips? I tried to get Vice Grips on it to maybe wiggle it, but no luck. I started collapsing the old line.

Anybody? The car has been down for a week (and up on ramps in the garage), and I'm out of town this coming week, so I want to leave the garage empty for the wife's car.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
After soaking the SOB in PB Blaster, I finally got it out today, and put back together tonight. Just in time to, I'm away on business all this week, so the wife can park in the garage while I'm away. Smile
++++++++++++++++++++++++