Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rust solving question
Hey everyone, i just realized that my zx5 is starting to bubble on the rockers, which is a piss off considering they've just been done not too long ago ( deal told me when bought the car ).

Im just wondering if im able to sand it and shoot it with rockguard, then paint it matching color over that, this car is mostly my DD, so looking great isnt a concern, but i dont want it to look bad. The rockguard finish on the rockers would be bad at all, atleast in my mind lmao

Need help please!!

Thanks in advance
JM
Vehicle: 2002 Focus ZX5 SES
Interior: '00 ZX3 shifter knob, Street Edition cluster, Full Street Edition interior swap
Drivetrain: MBRP Catback
Audio: JVC headunit, 2 10" Sony Subwoofers, Sony Amplifier
Exterior: Rear Wiper Delete, Blackhousing Headlights, 6000k HID's, Stubby antenna mod , SVT 5 Spoke rims, Mach1 front lip
Suspension: Eibach Sportlines, KYB AGX, SVT rear swaybar
do what you said there, sand, rocker paint, then I'd grab a couple cans of Corrosion Free Rust Cure and spray the inside and outside of the rockers as much as you can.
http://corrosionfree.com/rust_care.htm

I used about 6 cans and did my entire car with it.
And its clear? So it also acts like a clear coat then?
Vehicle: 2002 Focus ZX5 SES
Interior: '00 ZX3 shifter knob, Street Edition cluster, Full Street Edition interior swap
Drivetrain: MBRP Catback
Audio: JVC headunit, 2 10" Sony Subwoofers, Sony Amplifier
Exterior: Rear Wiper Delete, Blackhousing Headlights, 6000k HID's, Stubby antenna mod , SVT 5 Spoke rims, Mach1 front lip
Suspension: Eibach Sportlines, KYB AGX, SVT rear swaybar
Make sure the drain holes aren't plugged. Sometimes undercoating seals them shut, leaving the water to find a way to start rusting.
(12-09-2011, 12:10 AM)JMCustoms Wrote: And its clear? So it also acts like a clear coat then?
No it's just a rust protection.

Carquest does custom make spray cans by paint code with clear in it for $24.99.
You could use a can of that over your rockers after you spray on the rocker guard.
I second the point about checking the drains. My similar story is in this thread:

[url=http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=19604][/url]

The easiest way to get rustproofing into the rockers (after you clear the bottom drains) is the pop off the plastic trim on the door sills. It just pries up, usually starting from the back and working towards the front. That will reveal some rectangular slots that are open into the rockers below.

Good luck,

Bob the Duck Canuck