Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transmission flush
I have an 03 ZX5 5 speed with a 2L Zetec with 90,000kms. My owners manual says nothing about if I should change the transmission oil/lubricant for the standard transmission. Does anyone know when I should change it, how to change it and with what fluid to replace it with?
2003 ZX5
"I feel like a silver bullet"
SVT wheels
SVT suspension
AEM intake
With a hint of dip

[Image: 158491.png]
(09-06-2012, 12:52 PM)Lucster1000 Wrote: I have an 03 ZX5 5 speed with a 2L Zetec with 90,000kms. My owners manual says nothing about if I should change the transmission oil/lubricant for the standard transmission. Does anyone know when I should change it, how to change it and with what fluid to replace it with?

If you're having any issues with shifting then that's a good signal to change out the fluid - but even if it's shifting good it's still not a bad idea at all to upgrade the fluid at any time, or when doing the clutch or adding in an LSD or slave cylinder or such.

The best fluid in my opinion is what is known as "Ford honey" which is basically Ford's synthetic fluid - and BTW - our manual trannies take automatic fluid. The part number is XT-N5-QS for a quart and IIRC you need something between 2 and 3 quarts. I've heard that other premium synthetics are also good such as Royal Purple or Amsoil - just as long as it meets the Ford Mercon V spec.

Changing it is easy, especially if you do it with the car in the air - there's a plug at the front of the transaxle - you open it up, suction out the old (I don't think there's a drain plug) and pour in the new up to the point where it comes out of the hole - done.
2008 Fusion SEL MTX - DD1 * 2009 Fusion SEL - DD2 * 2007 Focus ZXW - R*I*P * 2004 Focus ZTW CD Silver - sold * 2004 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2003 Focus ZTW Black - sold * 2001 Focus ZTW Gold - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Black - sold * 2000 Focus SE Wagon (ZTW option) - Gold R*I*P

2003 Focus ZX5 infra-red Track Rat - R*I*P
2003 ZX5 CD Silver Track Rat - retired, but still in the driveway

New track rat: 2000 ZX3, Atlantic Blue * JRSC with lots more to come

* New Zetec crate motor - NFG - thanks Topspeed *