FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Help ! M3 Mirror W/led Turn Signals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Someone , anyone...please help. :( does anyone have any instructions on how / where to wire up the turn signals on the M3 style power mirrors? I can figure out the power part but the signal part :blink: :blink: I'm hoping to do it this weekend so any and all help / advice would be GREAT!
the easiest way to do it is to get a power source that is only on when ur car is on like stealin some from your power windows then get the negative from your bumper markers it has an alternating negative that will make it blink
i learned that the hard way when we wired it to the positive first and it didnt turn off
pm me if you have any other questions
if your set is like mine you'll have 3 wires. Black White and Blue. Black is ground, blue is for blue LED white is for the amber. Find a good ground I'd suggest somewhere on the car not on the door itself. Now take the blue/white wire and tap into either the side or front marker. I used the front marker since it was easier to get at. On the harness there will be 3 wires, 1 for ground 1 for signal 1 for parking light. You'll have to play around and see which wire you should tap into. make sure to seal up where you tapped into, these wires will be exposed to the elements and you don't want issues later on.

As with any mod take your time, don't cut corners and take pics :)
OK guys, sounds not TOO bad , now stupid question number 2 :( how did you route the wire from the door to the front marker??
there are plenty of ways to do it. The way I did it was to take the door apart. Run the wire on the inside of the door and through the wire loom where all the other factory wires go. Once inside the car I tied both side mirrors together and put it through the firewall where I have my amp power cable going. That might not be the best way to do it but it's one way :)

Good luck
Well, I only skinned one knuckle, but the mirrors are in. The power adjustment works, the only thing left is to hook them into the marker lights! (DOH! the wire that came with them was too short) Will post pics when i have them working!

One more question, should they light up when the markers are on and blink when the signal is on or just blink???
momswgn,May 1 2006, 04:00 PM Wrote:Well, I only skinned one knuckle, but the mirrors are in. The power adjustment works, the only thing left is to hook them into the marker lights! (DOH! the wire that came with them was too short) Will post pics when i have them working!

One more question, should they light up when the markers are on and blink when the signal is on or just blink???
[right][snapback]184336[/snapback][/right]

That all depends on which wire you tap into. From what I remember there are 3 wires, one is for ground one is for parking light and the other is flashing. You'll have to play around with it you find out which one is which. If you tap into the wire that only has juice when you have the turn signal than your mirrors will only flash and not stay on all the time.
When I did my install, I went right to the fuse panel for all the connections. I had to use 2 diodes, but I saved me from splicing into any other wires. Plus, I set it up so I had the blue as the light that is on with the headlights, and the amber indicates. It is illegal in NB to have a colour other than amber or white indicate.
When I had these I spliced them into my side markers (bad move) cause now I find my self splicing in a custom harness of my own for my side markers to work *correctly*. If I were you i'd go with what MR2 said, thats the brighter Idea :)
Showa des pics!!!~ sounds like a cool mod!
where did you get these from, I've been looking for a set for a couple years. can only find the manuel mirror ones.
silvermist,Aug 2 2008, 12:42 PM Wrote:where did you get these from, I've been looking for a set for a couple years. can only find the manuel mirror ones.
[right][snapback]269771[/snapback][/right]
momswgn hasn't posted in exactly 2 years (to the day) - so don't hold your breath waiting for your answer ... if you want to check momswgn's posts and threads click on their "name" - he might have posted about where they were purchased.