FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Meford's Brush With History
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So in the Nfld forum Meford tells us that his dad for a while owned the Ford dealership in St. John's --- well, if the timing was right, Meford (and his dad) were a part of the history of the very first Mustang evah; read on.

Brad Nevin, Ford Communications Network Wrote:While the public first saw the car [1964 1/2 Mustang] on April 17, the first production models rolled off the assembly line in early March since dealers needed to stock showrooms to capitalize on the upcoming national reveal. The vehicle identification number (VIN) for the first-ever Mustang was 5F08F100001, a Wimbledon White convertible with the 260 cubic-inch V-8. Shortly after it rolled off the assembly line, that car went on a Canadian publicity tour that took it to George Parson's Ford dealership in St. Johns, Newfoundland.

Enter Stanley Tucker, an airline captain who began flying when he was 19 years old. In the 1950s, Tucker flew small aircraft in eastern Canada, he flew Douglas DC-3s and Curtiss C-46s out of Montreal, and he later became a captain with Eastern Provincial Airlines based out of St. Johns.

One day, captain Tucker was driving his Pontiac around St. Johns and passed a crowd of people around Mustang VIN 5F08F100001. Tucker told Parsons he wanted to buy that Mustang, but Parson's originally hesitated wanting to hold on to the car to get a little more publicity out of it. When Tucker came with a check in hand the next day, Parson's sold the car to Captain Tucker.
[Image: Mustang01.jpg]
Mustang Monthly Magazine quoted Tucker about his first few years with the car: "For a long time, I was the only Mustanger in Newfoundland. It was quite an experience. Many times, other motorists would force me to the side of the road and ask me about the car -- what it was, who made it, how did I like it and how much did it cost? The car has been a real joy to own and drive. Getting into it is something like slipping into the cockpit, and I feel as much a part of the machine as I do when I'm flying."

Not long after Tucker unknowingly purchased the now-historic car, representatives from Ford learned that their Canadian promotional vehicle, the first-ever Mustang, had been let loose. Ford wanted the car back, but Tucker wanted to drive it. In the two years he owned the car, he put over 10,000 miles on it.
[Image: mustang1_02.jpg]

Sorry to disappoint. He owned it in 77-78.
meford4u,Apr 20 2006, 06:29 PM Wrote:Sorry to disappoint.  He owned it in 77-78.
[right][snapback]182461[/snapback][/right]
Yeah, well ... in the spirit of six degrees of separation, I still call "Meford's brush with history."
Who woulda thought the first ever produced mustand woulda been sold in newfoundland. I woulda thought it woulda gone to a dealer in windsor or another big ford plant city.
Thats pretty cool, good piece of information to know if your a Mustang guy!
the fact that you posted "MeFord being a part of history" is sadly true.. in many rediculous ways.
How so?
Paolo, I would love to hear your families "claim to fame" in history.

For instance, on my mother's side, my several great's uncle was General Brock. The General that kicked some US butt and sent the Americans packing to protect the land near Niagara Falls.

This is not a slight at you, but I feel your comments are a slight towards me. Let's hear your families brush with greatness.

or anyone's families brush with greatness would be interesting.
meford4u,Apr 21 2006, 05:34 PM Wrote:Paolo, I would love to hear your families "claim to fame" in history.

For instance, on my mother's side, my several great's uncle was General Brock.  The General that kicked some US butt and sent the Americans packing to protect the land near Niagara Falls.

This is not a slight at you, but I feel your comments are a slight towards me.  Let's hear your families brush with greatness.

[right][snapback]182710[/snapback][/right]

Closest I can come to that is the fact that A) I can trace my families bloodlines accurately all the way back to 1291 (blame the anal retentive Swiss recordkeepers :P) and the fact that my father runs the golf course that has hosted the Canadian Open in 2002 (My dad has the '02 Canadian Open winners signature on a flag from the tournament) and the course will host it again in 2007 (Angus Glen)

NefCanuck
meford4u,Apr 21 2006, 06:34 PM Wrote:Paolo, I would love to hear your families "claim to fame" in history.

For instance, on my mother's side, my several great's uncle was General Brock.  The General that kicked some US butt and sent the Americans packing to protect the land near Niagara Falls.

This is not a slight at you, but I feel your comments are a slight towards me.  Let's hear your families brush with greatness.

[right][snapback]182710[/snapback][/right]

My family are direct descendant of the Lundys (battle of Lundy's Lane http://www.battleoflundyslane.com/ ) and our lineage has been traced back far enough to confirm that I am a blood descedant of the emperor of Charlemange http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlemagne

Hows that :lol:
My great, great, great, great grandfather brought prositution to Canada.

His wife is the one that brought herpies here to.

Beat that biotches.
^^^^^ Classic

I once ate 3 doulbe 1/4 LB'RS from mickey D's
My mother's maiden name was Eaton.

Yes THE Eatons. My 3rd great Uncle was Timothy. My grandfather worked for the company for many years.

Unfortunately, I'm too far removed relationswise to benefit monetarily. :(
Heres one for you guys My grandfather was one of the first ppl back in the 70's to invent and manufacture Wheel chair lifts for the handicapped due to him being in a wheelchair. Then my father started his company in the 80's which at one time had the largest sales in canada.

My grandfather also invented the KFC buckets that use to spin back in teh day the old guys will remember those.

Also he invent the of the first "hand controls" for car that ppl could drive that had no use of there legs.

Man I miss him
DD1,Apr 21 2006, 08:48 PM Wrote:My grandfather also invented the KFC buckets that use to spin back in teh day the old guys will remember those.

[right][snapback]182746[/snapback][/right]
Man thats awesome. Those spinning buckets were so cool. I was always amazed by then as a kid.
habmann,Apr 21 2006, 08:58 PM Wrote:
DD1,Apr 21 2006, 08:48 PM Wrote:My grandfather also invented the KFC buckets that use to spin back in teh day the old guys will remember those.

[right][snapback]182746[/snapback][/right]
Man thats awesome. Those spinning buckets were so cool. I was always amazed by then as a kid.
[right][snapback]182748[/snapback][/right]

hes was drunk and slammed a coat hanger thru the bottom of the bucket and thought it looked cool