FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Nascar Pullout?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thinking The Unthinkable.

Detroit. It has come to our attention that serious discussions are taking place for the first time in the conference rooms of one domestic manufacturer in particular on a subject heretofore unthinkable in Detroit. The subject? Pulling out of NASCAR. Yes, it has been mentioned before, and I have predicted it for months now - ever since the announcement was made that Toyota would be buying its way into the France family circus - but we have confirmation that not only are the discussions taking place, they're so far down the road that a timetable for a pullout has been created, taking into account the end dates of existing contracts with individual racing teams currently aligned with this particular manufacturer.

The fact that it has finally come to this is no real surprise. Several years ago, we pieced together evidence that each of the Detroit-based car companies were spending in the neighborhood of $140 million each, annually, on their NASCAR endeavors. That figure accounts for engineering and wind-tunnel work, direct payments to the teams, personal services contracts with the drivers, promotional programs, race sponsorships, advertising, etc., etc. In the Big Picture of things, when multinational companies are spending double that amount for the "privilege" of competing in Formula 1, that would seem like no big deal, but taking into account the factors that matter most to the Detroit car companies right now, that dollar figure is a very big deal.

And what are those factors? Beyond the obvious pressures being generated by Detroit's dire financial straits, one thing in particular is driving these "pulling out of NASCAR" discussions to critical levels - and that is NASCAR's full-on push and investment in its much-hyped "Car of Tomorrow." The COT is NASCAR's new "spec" car, and it takes NASCAR's template philosophy to its logical conclusions. The COT could easily be called a "NASCAR Special" or whatever the marketing name that the hype-masters in Daytona Beach will want to call it, because any connection to what the manufacturers are producing has been well and truly broken. I contend, of course, that the connection was broken long ago, but the Detroit manufacturers have been clinging to a shred of a connection and amusing themselves with the annual massaging of their various models' grille openings, nose shapes and headlight decals.

Until now, anyway.

Now, the realization has finally sunk in for one manufacturer, apparently, and taking everything into account and putting everything on the table, there's no longer the blind allegiance to NASCAR at this company, which is a seismic shift if you know anything about this town's slavish devotion to all things NASCAR on and off for the last 50 years.

NASCAR has been living large off the Detroit car companies' cash trough for so long now that they don't even care anymore, as all sense of reality left the NASCAR offices in Daytona Beach and New York long ago. The NASCAR attitude goes something like this: If a Detroit manufacturer drops out, it's "whatever" - because Toyota is stepping up to the plate. And if another manufacturer drops out, no worries, because eventually we'll just market our own NASCAR "Specials" and then we won't have to pay any manufacturer rights fees ever again.

But for one particular Detroit manufacturer it's no longer "whatever" - and messing with the sanctity of the NASCAR budget is no longer unthinkable - it's very real, very calculated and very imminent.

This Detroit manufacturer has decided that if it competes in motorsports in the future, it will only compete in three basic areas: 1. In production-based racing series that by rule and specification retain more than a passing resemblance to the cars they sell and the competitors they compete against in showrooms. 2. "Technical" efforts, in other words, engine programs for open-wheel and prototype racing series, but stopping short of Formula 1. And 3. Developing an effort to compete for the overall victory at Le Mans. Any other efforts, grass-roots racing, drag racing, etc., would be covered as the need and budget allow.

This particular manufacturer has finally come to the stark realization that their NASCAR involvement has done more for NASCAR than anything else. NASCAR exists for its benefit and profitability first and foremost - everything else is secondary to that fundamental premise. The relentless hype of NASCAR and its sponsors by NASCAR itself and its enablers at the TV networks has resulted in dramatically diminished returns for the participating manufacturers - and pretending that NASCAR's popularity has done wonders for these car companies in the showrooms amounts to the Big Lie. The fact of the matter is that the increase in the popularity of NASCAR over the last ten years has seen a corresponding decrease in the participating domestic manufacturers sales fortunes. And there's not one NASCAR-sponsored survey that can possibly suggest otherwise, no matter how hard they try to "cook" the numbers.

Immersed in a battle for the hearts and minds of American consumers, this manufacturer has finally taken the blinders off and decided that the blind devotion to all things NASCAR has run its course and now must come to a stop.

In other words, the $140 million that was previously earmarked for NASCAR, will be put to very good use.

Stay tuned, because we'll have more on this story in the coming week

my bet is for a FORD PULLOUT
Wow thats pretty interesting, altho not all that shocking considering the car of the tomorrow.

I'd say its either ford or gm. I'd lean towards GM cuz they seem to be in a more precarious financial situation. And the fact GM is already involved in other forms of racing ie: C6 corvette
I agree. There's only a handful of Ford teams anyhow. Dodge just got back in it and Chevy has too many teams. Ford #1 vote Dodge #2 vote. It would be a shame. I'm not shy I'm a Nascar fan, It'a about the personalities more than the racing but I'm a Nascar fan.
I did in some way see this coming. I think this my be a GM pull out. They field the most teams and their matket share in automotive sales is falling. They have to many product lines and they all market a different version of the same car. I can see GM leaving.

I think Toyota will be a welcome addition to the NASCAR family. Change is good.
I would also say GM. They're taking bold moves like selling off stakes in other makes. They also field several teams for both Chevy AND Pontiac. They're working on liquidating assets and reducing costs...

That, and Le Mans.... Cadillac fields some LMP teams, Ford does not.
it would probably be GM, they pretty much loose money on every car they build. they have great success in Le Mans racing, the C6R pretty much wins every race unless they break.
yeah, GM has a lot more dedication to racing, but Ford has been getting more involved as well.

Consider their commitment to WRC, formula series, and other stock-car based racing like drifting and whatnot.. They seem to be putting more effort into smaller racing series lately, so maybe this is what's going to happen.

Of course, consider how their business model is moving backwards in performance, I'm not sure how it's going to play out.

I'll vote Ford for leaving for now.
Ford will leave....

It would be the "sulking pouty" route but I'll bet the others will follow.
Now...would ford please spend the money usually spent on Nascar development on building a decent car???
Maybe if it is ford thats pulling out they can take the nascar money and realocate that to SVT vehicles.
don't forget the $$$ they give "john force racing" every year after all his car is a "mustang"
The news doesn't surprise me, I two am a Nascar fan but the truth of the mater is that the cars have become generic, take the fake lights off and they are all basically the same. My opinion, Nascar f%#ked up in the eighties when they started to make all the cars as close to the same as possible, remember Bill Elliott's T-bird, it looked like a T-bird you could go buy. Look at a Nascar Fusion then go try to pick one off the showroom floor, ain't happening!!
Ford pullout my vote - more money for the WRC / real racing by the best in the business !! NASCAR sucks.
Nascar wouldn't be the same withought Ford or GM. I hope Toyota dies.
I would find it quite humourous if Toyota entering Nascar turning out to be their jumping the shark.
darkpuppet,Apr 20 2006, 08:09 AM Wrote:I would find it quite humourous if Toyota entering Nascar turning out to be their jumping the shark.
[right][snapback]182269[/snapback][/right]
NASCAR jumped the shark a while back, when it became the WWF of the racing scene.
OAC_Sparky,Apr 20 2006, 08:21 AM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Apr 20 2006, 08:09 AM Wrote:I would find it quite humourous if Toyota entering Nascar turning out to be their jumping the shark.
[right][snapback]182269[/snapback][/right]
NASCAR jumped the shark a while back, when it became the WWF of the racing scene.
[right][snapback]182273[/snapback][/right]

I meant it being Toyota's jumping the shark...

Nascar jumped the shark long before I could even get interested in it.
NASCAR addicts will freak, but there's no skill anymore. Everyone's just preying on everyone else's lack of attention for a split second, and then it's over. 1st ---> 5th place and someone else wins.

If you run a perfect line 24/7 you'll do fine, but come on... who does that day in and day out?

When they're all restricted in power, technology, weight... the end result is a herd of high-octane turtles going around the track, with a larger herd watching. Go fast, turn left, 3 turtles report to the winner's circle please.

Le Mans - exotic, but at least you can recognize the players. WRC - colourful, but challenging and there's individuality. A WRC Focus looks nothing like a Mitsu or anything else, but you can get a fairly similar Focus the next day at Ford. Even sport truck racing / enduro runs (more exotic, akin to rallying) still shows trucks that bear a significant resemblance that you don't have to "read between the ads" to see.

NASCAR - The Whore of Babylon. Vanilla bodies, identical performance and appearance across the board, and more advertising than should be allowed. It stopped being a sport quite some time ago and turned into the WWF of motorsports. Wrestlers have personalities too, but the competition is just as fake.

I hope Ford leaves. It will be money better spent elsewhere.
Playing Devil's Advocate for a minute here (and I do legal work for a living so I'm used to this ;) ) I think a pullout by any of the NA manufacturers would do more to hurt them in the long run than by any short term savings that they may gain.

My reasoning goes something like this. Like it or not, the NASCAR fans tend to be loyal to the manufacturers involved in the series, at least more so than with other forms of racing.

Maybe it's because the "average" NASCAR fan is a traditionalist at heart and still remembers the "race it on Sunday, buy it on Monday" mantra that used to dominate when it came to NASCAR. Now of course realistically the cars they run today have as many "stock" parts in them as an F1 racecar, but don't try telling that to average NASCAR fans, lest you be torn limb from limb :P

Why do you think that NASCAR has steadily moved away from their "roots" and moved to other places to race and promoting drivers that aren't from the Southern US? They want a bigger and broader fanbase from which to extort $ from. Hell, that's why NASCAR is welcoming Toyota with open arms. NASCAR knows what kind of demographic that Toyota can bring to the table and is just salivating over it.

Having said all this, if any of the NA manufacturers pull out, it will look like they're waving the white flag of surrender and I'll bet that'll go over like a fart in a church during Sunday sermon with the NASCAR hardcores...

NefCanuck
I'd say its GM - Ford Exec's aren't smart enough to come up with a plan like this, even if it is "The Way Forward"...
Honda Toyota and maybe Hyundai need to get into NASCAR, whip the bejesus out of the Detroit boys and then leave. That would be entertainment for an other wise boring sport. Sorry I don't find NASCAR entertaining, they hardly crash anymore which was the main reason I watched it before. Left hand turns get boring after awhile too. I do although really like how they totally immerse the fan into the sport, you can get a channel just on your fave. driver and watch the whole race based on that driver. No other motorsport offers anything like that.... as far as I know.
Pages: 1 2