FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Cooler Thermostats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got a 170deg thermo from steeda, running deionized water and water wetter. Now I assumed that I would be running cooler than before, but my coolant temps are still about 200deg, and peak out at maybe 220 when I push the car hard. The coolant temps generally drop within a few seconds down to 200deg range but I assumed that it would be below 200.....??

Yeah, and?

Regardless of what t-stat you run, the car will stay around 200 degrees, as that's its optimal operating temperature. The water wetter will just make sure that when it gets higher than that, it will come back down faster.

One thing to keep in mind is that in our cooler climate, trying too hard to brings your temps down will actually kill your fuel economy. If your cooling system is doing too good of a job, your engine will run rich to compensate to keep the operating temperature up. Kinda like when you first start the car... it squirts more fuel to kill the efficiency and create a bunch of heat to get it to where it needs to be.
Thermostat is one thing. Fan Activation switch is another. I believe the focus is like my transam. I had to put a 160degree thermostat in my transam when I chipped it so I could get away with 87 octane gas however the temps would still rise. When I talked to my buddy about this he recomended I get a 166/170 fan relay switch.

I wouldn't recomend this switch if you drive your car all year round though. Might be kinda cold in the winter months.