FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Zombie Attack Would Be The Death Of Us: Study
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Zombie attack would be the death of us: study

18/08/2009 6:01:59 PM

CBC News
Board up the windows of that abandoned hospital if you must, but if the dead ever come back to life as zombies and begin infecting the population, a group of Canadian researchers don't hold out much hope for our survival.

A group of University of Ottawa mathematics students and their professor came to their dire conclusion after developing a simple model similar to one researchers might use to track the spread of a pandemic.

The result is food for thought for those who worry the living dead might eat their brains.

"A zombie outbreak is likely to lead to the collapse of civilization, unless it is dealt with quickly," they write.

The research began as an exercise in mathematical disease modelling, said University of Ottawa assistant professor Robert J. Smith?, whose last name contains a question mark to distinguish his common name from that of other researchers.

Smith? asked his students to come up with their own scenario, and to consider the possibility that when tracking the spread of disease the dead might factor into the model. That advice, he said, likely was patient zero for the zombie scenario, the brainchild of students Joe Imad, Philip Munz and Ioan Hudea.

Scenario 'unlikely,' researchers say

While the authors said the model is an "unlikely" scenario if taken literally, Smith? said it could have real-world applications if applied to diseases with a dormant infection and provides a useful framework in instances when scientists are dealing with the outbreak of an unknown disease.

Key to the rapid spread of the zombie infection in the scenario is the assumption, based on popular films, that zombies are able to infect both living and the "newly deceased," giving them a steady supply of potential targets. Neither quarantines nor a cure for the zombie infection appear to stop the zombies from their eventual victory.

The researchers might have broken from Hollywood convention and been overly pessimistic, however, in their assumption that even a beheaded zombie could rise again if reinfected. Smith said the concern is addressed in the group's final scenario, in which the researchers outline a strategic eradication of zombies early in the outbreak, which resulted in the destruction of the zombies within 10 days.

As the researchers write in the paper, published in the journal Infectious Disease Modelling Research Progress, "the most effective way to contain the rise of the undead is to hit hard and hit often."
OMG, MJ might come back to life after all.
you know when I read this yesterday it was more detailed on the bbc website and I can't stop laughing when I read it, because when a friend or two of mine ask me about what would I do I always answer the same I have a plan, and using a gun would be one of my last resort.
Are we going to die?
Find the local Walmart Super Store and lock it down.
well, ain't that a bitch
The key factor here, and yes I'm trying to be serious, is where does the infection start (ground zero) and how do they find food?

If they have to see their food - buhbye, I'm already 4 hours north of prime Toronto zombieland (by car, not zombie feet) and I'm heading north. Way north. Lots of venison, wood for burning and lots of extra ammo and survival gear lying around.

The "funny" thing is that an escape / survival plan should be in everyone's books for what to do during extreme weather, war, etc.
Scorcher000,Aug 19 2009, 08:42 PM Wrote:Find the local Walmart Super Store and lock it down.
[right][snapback]293004[/snapback][/right]

Pfft. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart! :lol:
you know a funny thing no one really thinks about and going on the movies as a base point, is Zombies are attraced to sounds, and light, as well as food, so by going to a store where lots of light is, is well kinda a bad idea, it's why I'd say a weapon of choice would be a sword, or some kind of blade. also if you happen to be in a city if an outbreak were to occure being in an apartment building would be a safe place as the stair doors can be easily sealed on the ground floor and you can only exit out of them to the outside, the elevators would not be an issue as you can put them into service only mode. not to mention you'd have a advantage of height, and sight to your advantage.
Frost__2001,Aug 20 2009, 09:31 AM Wrote:you know a funny thing no one really thinks about and going on the movies as a base point, is Zombies are attraced to sounds, and light, as well as food, so by going to a store where lots of light is, is well kinda a bad idea, it's why I'd say a weapon of choice would be a sword, or some kind of blade. also if you happen to be in a city if an outbreak were to occure being in an apartment building would be a safe place as the stair doors can be easily sealed on the ground floor and you can only exit out of them to the outside, the elevators would not be an issue as you can put them into service only mode.  not to mention you'd have a advantage of height, and sight to your advantage.
[right][snapback]293027[/snapback][/right]

chances are if there was a zombie invasion, you wouldn't have to worry about power or such other infrastructure nuisances -- you should assume that the usual infrastructure will be either damaged or unreliable.

As far as weapons are concerned, I'd have a long blade for backup, but I'd still use a gun or a bare minimum tazer (with lots of extra cartridges). You'd be better off keeping the zombies a safe distance away. A man with a knife has a 10 meter effective range before a gun can go from holstered to fired.... so a zombie, that doesn't feel pain would be much more effective at infecting you within the short confines of a sword's range.

Better to shoot and run.

Just find a place with food, water, and an access point that can't be compromised. And if you're with a group of friends, remember

You don't have to run faster than the zombies, you only have to run faster than your friends.
The car of choice would be a F-250 without the 4:10 Gears diesel
The primary weapon would be a Small Lite Uzi (can't remember the name of it)
The secondary weapon would be a Katanna matched with some light armor.
The hideout would a Super Store Walmart, for its easy shut down ability, large size, food, clothing, small weapon, and access to tools and vehical acess too. Though one north would be a wise choice as stated before with the mass amount of retards in Tdot getting affected.
Scorcher000,Aug 20 2009, 01:15 PM Wrote:The car of choice would be a F-250 without the 4:10 Gears diesel
The primary weapon would be a Small Lite Uzi (can't remember the name of it)
The secondary weapon would be a Katanna matched with some light armor.
The hideout would a Super Store Walmart, for its easy shut down ability, large size, food, clothing, small weapon, and access to tools and vehical acess too. Though one north would be a wise choice as stated before with the mass amount of retards in Tdot getting affected.
[right][snapback]293044[/snapback][/right]

well any car would be good to use untill the streets become infested, so my choice ride would be a combine harvester wide enough to clear a 2 lane road. (imagine the mess after clearing a street after that?)

I'd only use a gun as a last resort myself mainly because if it's not silenced you'll only attract more zombies with the weapon fire. any yes when there would be more then 3 zombies around then yes I'd use one.