FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 2007 Parnelli Jones Limited-edition Mustang
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 2007.saleen.parnell.2.500.jpg]

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/New...d=109996#4

N.Y. Show: Saleen Introduces 2007 Parnelli Jones Limited-Edition Mustang
Date posted: 04-13-2006

NEW YORK — Saleen took the wraps off its 370-horsepower 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones Limited Edition Mustang on Wednesday at the New York auto show.

The specialty automaker said it will produce up to only 500 in honor of racing icon Parnelli Jones's win at the Indianapolis 500 in 1963.

Saleen said the vehicle will go on sale at Saleen Ford dealers throughout the United States in the fall, priced in the mid- to high-$50,000 range.[ :blink: :rolleyes:-SVT ZX3] The Saleen/Parnelli Jones Limited Edition is inspired by the Grabber Orange Boss 302 Mustang with the black striped hood the Jones drove to victory in the 1970 SCCA Trans Am Series. The new Saleen/Parnelli Jones Limited Edition, of course, comes in one color: Grabber Orange. Period details include a black striped "shaker" hood, race-style hood pins, black trunk deck and "302" side stripes.

The new Limited Edition includes a front fascia with racing-style air dam, side skirts, rear fascia, rear 1970 replica wing, trunk insert license plate panel with chrome trim, rear window quarter-panels and a racing-style billet gas cap. The car also has Parnelli's racing number, 15, as well as removable and reusable static-cling race decals. Borrowed from 1970 our the restyled rear-window louvered sport slats.

The Limited Edition is equipped with a Saleen 302-cubic-inch V8 the churns out 370 hp at 6,000 rpm and 370 pound-feet of torque at 4,000 rpm. Round off the Limited Edition are Minilite-style 19-inch front and 19-inch rear racing wheels and high-performance Pirelli tires.

Inside, the new Saleen is outfitted with orange and black racing-style seats and a vintage-look instrument panel with a black background and white numbers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cool car, but almost $60k USD?????????? Good luck with that :lol:
Man ... talk about memories. The bitter rivalry between Chevy and Ford in the late '60s and early '70s was amazing -- there really isn't anything like it today; and the battles between the Z28 and Boss 302 (on the track and on the street) were legendary even then. I used to go to St. Jovite and Watkins Glen to see the Trans-am races and there were sometimes as many as 4 or 5 carloads of us.

There were a couple of Z28s and Boss 302s at my high school and they used to go out at lunch and stoplight race. Funny how things change ... the "adults" back then would shake their heads and cluck-cluck in disapproval, but somehow street racing wasn't seen as the scourge that it is now.

I lost two buddies in the 60s due to street racing --- in one accident a Chevy II with a 427 stuffed in it got airborn on Jane street and ended up in Black creek (right near the original Harvey's) --- the cops figured he was going 120 mph (200 kph) and he had started at the lights just at Wilson.

Anyway, back on topic, the car this Mustang Jones edition is based on still exists and is owned by two guys in Vancouver.

Question for the Fordophiles - why isn't this thing called the Boss 302? Did they sell off this name the same as they did GT40? Just askin'.

But good on Ford for making the engine a true 302 ci.

[Image: Boss302Jones.jpg]
ZTWsquared,Apr 14 2006, 08:31 PM Wrote:Question for the Fordophiles - why isn't this thing called the Boss 302? Did they sell off this name the same as they did GT40? Just askin'.

But good on Ford for making the engine a true 302 ci.

[right][snapback]181236[/snapback][/right]

Too bad it's Saleen building it and not Ford. That's why it's not called the Boss 302 I bet.

Ever Driven a Boss 302? I have. :) Not to mention it was stuffed with 12.5-1 pistons and a .620 lift 314 duration cam. :D :D
bluetoy,Apr 14 2006, 08:40 PM Wrote:Too bad it's Saleen building it and not Ford. That's why it's not called the Boss 302 I bet.

Ever Driven a Boss 302? I have. :)  Not to mention it was stuffed with 12.5-1 pistons and a .620 lift 314 duration cam. :D  :D
[right][snapback]181238[/snapback][/right]
Makes sense .. although if Ford did in fact still own the Boss 302 name they could easily license it to Saleen -- I can't imagine that Saleen is doing this without Ford's blessing.

I've driven a couple of Boss 302s (I used to own a '73 Z28, last of the small bumper) and just about every big-block monster you could name -- and more than a few had a tooth-rattling idle like your hi-comp Mustang there.

Those things were brutes -- nothing subtle or refined about them at all. I recently drove a Contour SVT with a done-up 3.0L Escape engine (something like 290hp and 280tq) and it is amazing how nice that car was to drive despite how quick it was.

Cars have come a long way since the days of the original pony cars -- if you want to remind yourself just how sophisticated and refined your Focus is, try to get a ride in something like a Boss 302.