FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Car Wont Start!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I went to start my car tonight like any other night....but the key wouldnt turn...and the steering wheel is locked..!!!!!!! So basically my car is still at work..Hopefully my dad will be able to start it.

2001 focus zx3

anyone can help?????????????????????????/ :( :( :( :( :( :(
commomn s***box problem

you now need a new tumbler.

i think there is a ford tsb for it.
meford4u,Apr 13 2006, 09:19 PM Wrote:commomn s***box problem

you now need a new tumbler.

i think there is a ford tsb for it.
[right][snapback]181157[/snapback][/right]

whats that???????????????????
the tumbler is where you put the key in for the ignition. You are lucky the problem didn't happen while you were driving th car, went to shut it off and couldn't get the key out. That is normally the case.
But this is a common issue and I am not sure, but someone will know and post in the next 24 hours if this is a TSB and will be covered under warranty. Is your car still under warranty?An no, a 2001 is not.

This is probably going to require a trip to the dealer.

Best advice I can give is try to loosen the lock the steering wheel is in while someone tries the key. But if it does work, i would still change the tumbler or your going to get stuck again.
meford4u,Apr 13 2006, 09:30 PM Wrote:the tumbler is where you put the key in for the ignition.  You are lucky the problem didn't happen while you were driving th car, went to shut it off and couldn't get the key out.  That is normally the case.
But this is a common issue and I am not sure, but someone will know and post in the next 24 hours if this is a TSB and will be covered under warranty.  Is your car still under warranty?An no, a 2001 is not.

This is probably going to require a trip to the dealer.

Best advice I can give is try to loosen the lock the steering wheel is in while someone tries the key.  But if it does work, i would still change the tumbler or your going to get stuck again.
[right][snapback]181161[/snapback][/right]
thanks
Ya definately the tumbler. Not gonna be a cheap trip to the dealer unfortunately. Mine went last summer, IIRC it was about 300-400 to have it replaced.
stuff like this should be covered by ford... I'd be pretty pissed if they made a defective part and I had to pay to fix it.
habmann,Apr 13 2006, 09:53 PM Wrote:Ya definately the tumbler. Not gonna be a cheap trip to the dealer unfortunately. Mine went last summer, IIRC it was about 300-400 to have it replaced.
[right][snapback]181165[/snapback][/right]

ughhhh 300-400 with towing?
Melanie_L,Apr 14 2006, 03:42 PM Wrote:
habmann,Apr 13 2006, 09:53 PM Wrote:Ya definately the tumbler. Not gonna be a cheap trip to the dealer unfortunately. Mine went last summer, IIRC it was about 300-400 to have it replaced.
[right][snapback]181165[/snapback][/right]

ughhhh 300-400 with towing?
[right][snapback]181221[/snapback][/right]

Had the same problem....It sucks!
If you can get Dad to go at it with a drill, it is easy enough to replace. Mine went on me last year. Got the new cylinder (about $90cad iirc), armed myself with 10mm steel drills, decent power drill, extension cable...and drilled it out.

I'll see if I can find the link for the how-to.

S.

Ok, found it...go HERE for instructions. Print out and read all of it before attempting the job.
Mine took me about 45 minutes to do, but was working in the dark, so had to go slow.

When you buy the cylinder assy, it will come with tumblers that you must match to your original keys. It's quite easy, and there are complete drawings/instructions with it.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Scorp.
Very common problem. There is a TSB out for it with a new revised part, but you pay for it. Its not a recall.

Try having that happen when your at the hospital and the tow truck cant get into the parking lot. :blink:

Guiding a focus with a locked steering wheel out of the hospitsl parking is not fun. <_< :angry:
Hey
Thanks for the help guys...Finally I got the tow guy to get my key into the ignition with a lil bit of tapping and then brought it to ford on the next day..
It cost me 315$ for labour and parts...The guy told me tho if the towing guy hadnt done that it would of been at least another 2 hours of labour at ford...another 160$.

I was told to keep awhole of my receipt due to the fact that its way to common..ford might be working on a recall for it.