FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: The Good With The Bad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just learned last week, that, in a cost cutting measure, my company is eliminating paid overtime for my job early next year.

The bad news is that I'm going lose out on nearly 20k of extra pay. I guess the good news is that I get 5-to-7 hundred hours of my life back each year.

anyone else's work doing similar cost cutting measures?
Someone retired in my already busy office and wasn't replaced; same idea.

On the plus side it means I have gone from valuable to irreplaceable.
Same here I usally had around 110 Hours each pay its been cut down to around 100 max. So ill be losing out on about 12K a Year hence me selling the Jeep and Focus :(

02ztsian

We had O/T cut last year. Absolutely no OT. Just waiting for Xmas season, though. Usually open the bank as we get busier.
Already in that boat and it has a huge leak. Someone get the buckets and start bailing :o
OT in my department has to be approved by the CIO. It gets approved, but it is such a headache, I usually take time in lieu.
Being salary means getting no cash for OT, just time off in lieu.

I usually have a balance of about ten hours OT, more or less at any given time.

NefCanuck
I get payed O/T stil but my work cancelled all raises for 2009, and I got around that by being put on a paycheck bonus thing,
Its nice to know I get that because they can't give me a real raise.
My company stopped paying for it years ago, yet still gets OT. They just say, if you don't like it go get another job...
NefCanuck,Aug 17 2009, 02:11 PM Wrote:Being salary means getting no cash for OT, just time off in lieu.

I usually have a balance of about ten hours OT, more or less at any given time.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]292836[/snapback][/right]

I'm salary but i still get to choose either i want my OT/travel time in $ or lieu time.
It's different for for each company ofcourse.
No official OT in my position, there are like many jobs "extra hours required", those hours are overseen by our manager who is very fair. He is well aware that the 'give & take' gray area is never on the employees side, and thus goes to bat for us always.
I have a great manager.
seems it's the way of the future.

On the one hand, I'm going to miss the 20-30k/year in OT -- like really miss it. And I'm concerned about being forced to work the hundreds of hours of OT (140 hours OT in the last 2.5 weeks).

but on the other, I'm looking forward to the extra time to do more of the things I want to do....
Overtime is expected in my line of work as well.
I get days off, tickets to events, golf games etc...
I'd rather the bread to be completely honest.

ANTHONYD,Aug 18 2009, 08:05 AM Wrote:Overtime is expected in my line of work as well.
I get days off, tickets to events, golf games etc...
I'd rather the bread to be completely honest.
[right][snapback]292863[/snapback][/right]

I dunno man, the spiffs sound really nice in your line of work (Of course one has to have the skills to earn the spiffs too ;))

Working for the government means being beholden to political masters who at any time can yank your chain any which way they feel like it. :ph34r:

NefCanuck
darkpuppet,Aug 18 2009, 07:34 AM Wrote:but on the other, I'm looking forward to the extra time to do more of the things I want to do....like play more video games
[right][snapback]292861[/snapback][/right]

a little fix B)
NikiterZTS,Aug 18 2009, 10:38 AM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Aug 18 2009, 07:34 AM Wrote:but on the other, I'm looking forward to the extra time to do more of the things I want to do....like play more video games

a little fix B)
[right][snapback]292880[/snapback][/right]

that's one of 'em for sure...

tho currently the PS3 spends the majority of it's time trying to cure cancer -- hopefully it can help extend my life long enough to actually go back and play it some more.

tries to keep his extra free time hidden from the gf...
darkpuppet,Aug 18 2009, 10:14 AM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Aug 18 2009, 10:38 AM Wrote:

a little fix B)
[right][snapback]292880[/snapback][/right]

that's one of 'em for sure...

tho currently the PS3 spends the majority of it's time trying to cure cancer -- hopefully it can help extend my life long enough to actually go back and play it some more.

tries to keep his extra free time hidden from the gf...
[right][snapback]292881[/snapback][/right]

Lotsa luck with THAT DP :P

Just holding on until I go on vacation for three weeks at the end of this month.

Kick off is the Track Guys event, what happens after that is still pretty fluid and right now that's sounding real good :P

NefCanuck
We've always been paid for OT when you're not management. Seeing as I'm not management just yet, overtime and I get along just fine. :P

We can also take time in lieu of pay. Management can only take time in lieu.

We had layoffs at the end of the year last year, and a few have come back but not many. Things are coming up, but the world has a long way to go as far as economic recovery is concerned - no matter what the taxpayer dollar-paid stuff suits would have you believe.
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 18 2009, 11:43 AM Wrote:We had layoffs at the end of the year last year, and a few have come back but not many.
[right][snapback]292885[/snapback][/right]

Yeah I wonder who... :D

Anywho let me put it this way, I'm pretty happy with the result overall. $$$$ :P $$$$
Bell stopped paying OT years and years ago, froze pay raises 4 years ago...

"Don't like it? Find another job!"
Pages: 1 2