FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Logitech Harmony Remote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to buy an Onkyo receiver off of ebay, its a 2005 model receiver but it does not come with a remote.

If i was to buy a logitech harmony remote, (internet programmable) does anyone know if it would have all the features of the stock remote programmed.

I'm mostly worried about the programming/OSD features that the stock remote has... volume and inputs... etc are a given...

scoobasteve,Apr 7 2006, 10:24 AM Wrote:Hey Guys,

I'm looking to buy an Onkyo receiver off of ebay, its a 2005 model receiver but it does not come with a remote.

If i was to buy a logitech harmony remote, (internet programmable) does anyone know if it would have all the features of the stock remote programmed.

I'm mostly worried about the programming/OSD features that the stock remote has... volume and inputs... etc are a given...
[right][snapback]179600[/snapback][/right]
My neighbour has one, loves it. Whatever isn't in the manual can be downloaded from the Logitech site, he said the support line is good for the very few issues he had.

Costco near me had them on sale for about $110 IIRC, I'm happy with my Sony RM-AV3100 or I'd have picked one up.
scoobasteve,Apr 7 2006, 10:24 AM Wrote:Hey Guys,

[right][snapback]179600[/snapback][/right]

Another thumbs up for the Harmony, it's so simple to set up I'm sorely tempted to buy one for my father for Christmas this year (He only has three remotes but watching him trying to simply watch a DVD is like watching a car crash :( )

NefCanuck
I got one....this thing is the greatest ever.....You can not only program for each component but also program for specific activities within your component capabilities.....total thumbs up....best money I have spent in a very long time.

Periodically you can confuse it if you use another remote to , for example, turn something off.....if this happens just push help on the remote and it will ask you a series of quick questions and solve the programing issue.....

I would buy the more expensive one next time as now I am convinced the tech works so the extra minor investment would be worth it....
so do you guys think the harmony could control all functions that the onkyo remote would have? I dont want to buy the harmony and then pay 70$ us for a new remote...
absolutely....just load the program disk in your computer.....it goes online for you and asks you what components you have and downloads the file....done...

it will have any file for any component within the last five years or more. My friend bought one and downloaded a file for the remote to control his six year old Harmon Kardon reciever....works mint....
Thats awesome... Thanks guys!
Even my wife and kids can use the Harmony. Love the activity keys. I used to have a $400 Sony remote, with programmable macro keys, but the Harmony remote blows it away. You can also customize the soft keys and Display. I created a Kareoke and VCR activity.

My HDTV has various video inputs, and I love how the harmony selects the correct inputs on both the TV and Reciever. It also controls my MTS Digital set-top box.

You just program it via the Internet and a USB cable

Best remote ever made!!
My boss has one, it's really slick. I'm tempted to get one myself.
I picked up the Harmony 880 last year, and let me tell ya... this thing rocks.

I bought it to replace my neo pronto, which, while extremely configurable, was a pain to program everything yourself... I'm fussy, so making my own graphics and everything for the touch screen became a chore... and a technical glitch with a firmware/software update lost EVERYTHING, so I said to hell with it (anyone wanna buy it?).

Anyways, the harmony 880.. you enter in all the components from the interweb, and if you're missing something, (my remote at least) has a learning capability that'll allow you to capture the buttons, configure it, and upload it to the web for everyone to use.

I found it necessary to add component specific functions to the activities, (ie. it would be nice to skip-to-next-disc when just listening to CD). but the web interface makes it relatively simple.

I did find that it's possible to accidentally disable the tilt sensor in mine so the backlight doesn't come on without hitting a button, it only happened once (I have no idea how as there's no menu option to set it without hitting the internet).. but just reloading the configuration from the computer worked just dandy.

Also, I've dropped this thing on the parquet flooring MANY times.. not a scratch, not a rattle.. even the color LCD screen, while not the highest quality, is quite robust.

I like the help menu function, but I found that some ludites still won't figure it out even with the help screen stepping them through everything, but it's a minor trade-off... Most people agree this remote is a lot more accessible than the neo pronto it replaced, even though it doesn't quite have the 'bling' factor of a totally programmable soft button interface.

p.s. the tiny print and somewhat dull blue backlight can be difficult to read at any distance, and the fact that the remote needs regular charging (convenient enough with it's cradle) may deter some people who are not good at putting the remote away.
darkpuppet,Apr 7 2006, 12:55 PM Wrote:p.s.  the tiny print and somewhat dull blue backlight can be difficult to read at any distance, and the fact that the remote needs regular charging (convenient enough with it's cradle) may deter some people who are not good at putting the remote away.
[right][snapback]179632[/snapback][/right]

Are the batteries proprietary or just standard NiCads? (That's the one thing I dislike about my Sony RM2100, it eats rechargeables way too fast, I have to keep a set of alkalines on standby in teh fridge or lose all my programming :ph34r: ) If they're just standard niCads, the Sony may get banished to its box...

NefCanuck
I have to ask, why Onkyo? I can vouch for the Harmony as I have seen it in action and it is four thumbs up, bitch.
But why Onkyo? they used to make a great receiver/integrated amp, but now they have gone the road of the cheap bastard route and IMO have downgraded themselves to "Kenwood" status.
When I was looking last year for a new IA, I wanted Onkyo as I have alot of their equipment now. I wasn't impressed.
I ended up buying A Harmon Kardon, which is still the box in my basement that I was supposed to redo but won't because I am moving, but that's another story.
Hey, if you want to wait, I will have some equipment for sale. But i don't have an Onkyo IA. Kenwood. IE>>>>The need to step up(for me)
NefCanuck,Apr 7 2006, 07:50 PM Wrote:Are the batteries proprietary or just standard NiCads? (That's the one thing I dislike about my Sony RM2100, it eats rechargeables way too fast, I have to keep a set of alkalines on standby in teh fridge or lose all my programming :ph34r: ) If they're just standard niCads, the Sony may get banished to its box...

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]179714[/snapback][/right]

the harmony 880 uses a lithium ion battery pack... so it's sorta proprietary... The remote will last 3-4 days of HEAVY use, or 7 days if you don't surf channels.. after the 1st year, the battery lasts about 2-3 days of heavy use..... lithium ion is good for about 500 charges, and then deteriorates, so expect more charging as the battery ages..

but as far as lithium ion batteries go, it's a standard (and generic ) size, so I expect that people will be able to easily replace and upgrade the battery in time.

However, since the harmony 880 hasn't been available for a full year, give me until June to tell you exactly how the battery holds out. Right now it's a non-issue.
For those of you that are thinking of buying one of the Logitech remotes, Staples is having a "Staff Shopping Day" on April 23 and the remote will be on sale for $40.95 for staff and friends. So, if you know someone who works at Staples, you are in luck. If not, you better start making some friends there! Good luck!