FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I De-blinged My Clear Case At Home
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yes, ideas, e-pinions on a new case for my comp. I'll keep it simple, and I'll ask the mods to keep the BS outta the thread, please :) Computer-related discussion only.

Requirements:

ATX or E-ATX
Tool-less drive bays
Minimum 1 rear exhaust fan, 1 side intake fan. Opt: 2 side intake fans or in addition/replacement of sides, 1 front intake fan.
4 -5 internal 3.5" drive bays

Options:

Side window
Top blowhole exhaust fan (currently have one, only marginally impressed with it)
2 external 3.5" bays that don't detract from internal capacity
Front USB ports, IEEE1394 (FireWire), SATA/power ports

Not required:

Power supply (I already have a nice, stout 520W)
Other gimmicks or crap - LED fans, LED grilles, Cold Cathode or Liquid Neon anything
Vinyl or painted graphics

A picture (slightly blurry) of the "old hotness", all lit up:

[Image: th_SA400028.jpg]

Since then, only 2 LED sets remain... new top fan and PSU fans.

The entire case was gutted Tuesday night and re-wired, wires re-routed. It's a big improvement over the way I got it.

Cases currently being considered:

Sunbeam Transformer case - http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...facture=Sunbeam
Sunbeam Evil Eyes - my wife's comp is in one of these cases. It's rather easy to work with. I can't seem to find it at my fave haunts so far :(
Sunbeam Trio - I don't know why, I just like their stuff - http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...facture=Sunbeam
Coolermaster Stacker - only 1 external 3.5" bay... might have to flip to the rear expansion slot rheostat for the Venus 12. The Stacker's a seriously nice case. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...re=COOLERMASTER

Post away, all ye who consider yourselves computer guys/geeks. :)

EDIT - just saw this in the new NCIX weekly sale - http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...31&promoid=1015 - not too shabby! Simple, yet effective.
Just a question, how much hardware are you running inside the case?

Because unless you're running multiple 10,000RPM HD's, two DVD burners and a dual core CPU, I honestly can't see the requirement for that many fans.

I kept it simple when I bought my computer. A well built aluminum ATX mid tower so that I could move it around without relying on a hoist :P

NefCanuck
Opteron 170 dual-core @ 2.5GHz, single LG DVD DL burner, 2 Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 SATA1 80GB HDs in RAID-0, Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 PATA 133 120GB (scratch / swap file).

I love my computers running cool, even at the expense of a bit of noise. Even overclocked my Opteron idles at 31-32C and peaks at 46C with both cores loaded.

I'll be expanding my drive allotments soon, and adding another array so that when I re-image, I'll be playing with XP-64 on a separate array as well. I'm also doing a VMWare testing run at home and will likely upgrade to 2GB of DDR500 or so when feasible.
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 6 2006, 09:00 AM Wrote:Opteron 170 dual-core @ 2.5GHz, single LG DVD DL burner, 2 Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 SATA1 80GB HDs in RAID-0, Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 PATA 133 120GB (scratch / swap file).

I love my computers running cool, even at the expense of a bit of noise. Even overclocked my Opteron idles at 31-32C and peaks at 46C with both cores loaded.

I'll be expanding my drive allotments soon, and adding another array so that when I re-image, I'll be playing with XP-64 on a separate array as well. I'm also doing a VMWare testing run at home and will likely upgrade to 2GB of DDR500 or so when feasible.
[right][snapback]179386[/snapback][/right]

:blink: Wow, no wonder you need to look at some serious cooling. Having all that stuff in one case running simultaniously would probably be hot enough to boil water :ph34r:

NefCanuck
I ordered the Trio :D

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...facture=Sunbeam

I read another review for it on the net and was impressed by it - not by what they said or did, but by the fit and finish and the number of drive bays. The extra PSU is a bonus. I would have paid that price for the Trio alone.

http://www.ocia.net/reviews/trio/page1.shtml
Nice looking case. Are the gauges on the front functional?

I would have a case that looks like that but my fan controller wouldn't fit behind the door on the front.
Yeah, you can control one case fan with the volume-style dial on the lower right-hand side of the case. The others are functional as well (SPL and ambient temp), not sure how functional though. The one last review I posted or another I forgot to link said the ambient temp one worked fairly well.

Marker #1 ready for duty, completely OT but note the CCFL UV tubes I've yanked out :blink: Yeah, BE sucks, but the mask was free.
[Image: th_SA400007.jpg]

Wires? What wires? Deconstruction in progress the other night... time to blow out the HSF again! :lol:
[Image: th_SA400006.jpg]
NOS2Go4Me,Apr 6 2006, 04:57 PM Wrote:Wires? What wires? Deconstruction in progress the other night... time to blow out the HSF again! :lol:
[Image: th_SA400006.jpg]
[right][snapback]179469[/snapback][/right]

Nice case choice, boy dissasembling a computer... I'd rather eat ground glass :ph34r:

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Apr 6 2006, 06:35 PM Wrote:Nice case choice, boy dissasembling a computer... I'd rather eat ground glass  :ph34r:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]179477[/snapback][/right]

it's easy, all you gotta do is hold the case down with your left hand, and turn the screw driver with the right... :ph34r:

it's fun to tear apart.. what you should do adam is paint the interior... it'd be like painting a clear polycarbinate R/C body, come out supa glossy and pimp.

transparent is so March 2006
I love tearing my computer apart, cleaning everything, and putting it back together and trying to route the wires just perfectly for maximum airflow.
Actually I sold the Lexan case to a buddy. It's a pimpin case, but when it takes 12 flat brass screws and the removal of 2 of 8 major panels to get the drive stack out... no way. It was enlightening the first time, cool the second cause I did it in less than an hour... but that's it.

Removing a DVD drive or adding another 5.25" drive? Half an hour, round trip. Removing or adding a HD? Same deal. That slightly off-kilter drive stack is held together by ALL the drives. The stack itself is just two equal-length slabs of Lexan with 4 top and bottom-facing screw holes per end between them. To properly add something you need to unbolt all of one side. fun :rolleyes:

So I unpimped my case :D

I'll take a pic of the final, cleaned-up state before I switch cases.
darkpuppet,Apr 6 2006, 06:08 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Apr 6 2006, 06:35 PM Wrote:Nice case choice, boy dissasembling a computer... I'd rather eat ground glass  :ph34r:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]179477[/snapback][/right]

it's easy, all you gotta do is hold the case down with your left hand, and turn the screw driver with the right... :ph34r:
[right][snapback]179483[/snapback][/right]

Uh, yeah... maybe THAT'S why I don't like doing that stuff anymore :P :rofl: :rolleyes:

NefCanuck
Just get a nice lian li case...

That will be my next computer purchase...
^^ I find them too expensive for what they are.

I like my Antec P-180. Nice and quiet. Though it's a bit interesting to route wires the first time you see it. My friend hates the case cuz he found it too hard to work in, but like's how it looks and how quiet it is.

If only I could get a case like that for my fileserver. Nice EATX cases are hard to find.
YEAH WELL

I got a super hyper mega dark stealth case, 1000W psu (not available to the public), with 2 dual-cores, 5 HDDS, 11 dvd burners, 17 fans (and 5 fans running even when the comp is off to maintain ultra cool internal status!) external media bays, internAL media bays, usb3.0..(Im the only person that has this), 4 graphics cards (running dual SLIs and jumped together to make quad GPU) -->(I am also the only person to be doing this in THE COUNTRY...umm theres a bunch of other stuff that is too advanced for you rookiez,,

Man...time to go do some gaming..its been 2 minutes,,,

Now this is bling!!

[Image: abacas.jpg]

check out those brass corners!
dBlast,Apr 7 2006, 09:59 PM Wrote:Now this is bling!!

[right][snapback]179732[/snapback][/right]

s***!!

how many rows on that bad boy?
dBlast,Apr 7 2006, 08:59 PM Wrote:Now this is bling!!

[right][snapback]179732[/snapback][/right]

Thats a quality computing device right there.

But i think it needs some bling bling light up fans or something. :lol:
s***, I was gonna sacrifice my dash EL for that! :lol: