FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Faulty Alternator?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
im having the same stumbling problem again wiht my car, symptons suggest DPFE or EGR. but i jsut had that whole system checked and fixed 1 month ago. so im skeptical that is the problem again.

im thinking it coudl possibly be the alternator and hear are my reasons why:
-car still doesnt idle right, sometimes jsut above or below the "correct idle"
-engine stumbles under steady throttle in any gear at any rpm, worse at lower rpms in higher gears.
-feels like its low on power, i know its low on power
-ive been getting the "alternator whine" threw the speakers.
-the last few days, ive been hearing a humming noise from under the hood when stopped at a light. i tried to check it when i got home but it wasnt doing it.

anyways do these sound like the symptons of an alternator takign a s***? would it cause all of these things listed?
bad ground somewhere, change your main NEG cable

I know some guys here have done this is the past
check my warranty post.. i had similar symptoms with my idle, it turned out to be a leaking ac compressor, and a voltage regulator..
Yeah, it does sound like a bad ground (alt whine)... the easiest thing would be to check your grounds first, then go from there.
check your MAF sensor in your intake. May need replaceing. If that strut bar is pressing against it, the bar may have damaged the sensor. Don't worry its only $250 for a replacement....i think
laidman,Apr 4 2006, 11:42 PM Wrote:check your MAF sensor in your intake.  May need replaceing.  If that strut bar is pressing against it, the bar may have damaged the sensor.  Don't worry its only $250 for a replacement....i think
[right][snapback]179106[/snapback][/right]

checked it recently, everythign seemed fine, im really thinking its electrical, ive noticed sometimes my lights will dim whenever the idle shifts up or down also. that and when the cooling fan kicks on the idle jumps and then drops below "normal"

might be time to try the "big 3"
its probly a good thing im not running any sort of a system right now.
Check that alternator buddy, before mine crapped out on me my car was doing the same sort of stuff you just listed. The car barley ideld, then when I added an extra power wire that went direct to the battery it drew to much from the alternator and she went kaput. Do you have underdrive pulleys on that baby?