FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: My Day Off
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So even though I took today off to go with Rob to mid ohio (which is now cancelled), I thought I'd still take the day to do some spring stuff...

repot a plant
get the t-max running again
go for wings

oh life is good.

But since potting a plant isn't that exciting, and I'm not drunk (yet), there's really only the t-maxx to talk about.

So it's been a couple of years since I stripped my home-made servo saver adapter for the high torque servo when I plowed the t-max into a hidden tree stump.

I cleaned it up a bit, but left it to sit for a couple of years... probably moe than a couple... time to see if this thing will live...

1st things first.. batteries... where all my batteries go?. Guess I'm heading to The Source for some 2600 mAh AA's.. I need 12 to get running, will eventually pick up another 12 to ensure a full set each time.

So lets' see if she'll turn over... charged up the starter battery, plugged it in, pressed the button..

*click*
*click*
*fzzzzzzz* SMOKE!!!!! UNPLUG UNPLUG!

ok, engine is seized, pop the airfilter and glow plug, douse with rubbing alcohol, turn engine by hand.. let sit, re-douse, turn, ah..finally..

Guess I better do something about the castor oil sediment in the tank (alcohol evaporated, leaving only the castor oil of the fuel)... fill with rubbing alcohol, rinse, repeat.. better, the primer now works...

now, try a dry run.. unhook the fuel line to the carb, hook up starter (glow plug still off), starter turns the engine with ease..sweet!

fill the tank, will let sit for a bit to try and disolve the remaining castor sediment..

later, I'll take the truck out to the balcony, and run a tank through it, tune the carb, and tomorrow I can work on epoxying a new steering servo saver and charge up some fresh batteries.. take this thing for a ride on sunday!

anyhoo.. lots of boring text, some pics ..

[Image: IMG_2725.jpg]

you can still see some beach sand.. that, mixed with castor oil vapours makes it freakin' hard to clean out. Lesson: don't take your nitro-powered vehicles on the beach...
[Image: IMG_2724.jpg]

niceeee

I have a battery one, not as fun as gas :(

but not as much hassle as gas either
mo_focus,Mar 31 2006, 09:43 AM Wrote:niceeee

I have a battery one, not as fun as gas :(

but not as much hassle as gas either
[right][snapback]178211[/snapback][/right]

gas is a freakin' pain in the ass! .. I've always done the battery thing before when I raced, but figured that gas, with longer runtimes and a bit more robustness would be totally kickass...

but it's an absolute pain!

break-in, maintenance and tuning are quite involved, not to mention the amount of gear you need with you just to run it. Electric, you set it up, pop in a battery, done.

With electric, I spent all my time fixing broken parts, not setting it up to run.
I've always had the hardcores (no, not kev :P)tell me that fueled is the way to go, but you can't beat the convenience of battery powered.

Nice setup Steve.
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 31 2006, 09:51 AM Wrote:I've always had the hardcores (no, not kev :P)tell me that fueled is the way to go, but you can't beat the convenience of battery powered.

Nice setup Steve.
[right][snapback]178216[/snapback][/right]

technically, you can't beat gas powered, this thing will haul it's ass around at 30Mph for over 10 minutes on a tank.

I don't think electric cars, even with 3000mAh batteries can do it that effortlessly.. but battery is much more accessible. You can still burn down your house, but you don't have to buy fuel to do it.
I hate nitro. I bought a car a few years back thinking it would be a fun way to pass time.

It;s broken more than it works. And it ain't cheap.
it lives!!!

IT LIVES! IT LIVES!

granted, it bogged at full throttle, but I thinks I can fix that...

now I smell like burnt castor oil
Bring it up... We'll see if we can break it.
bluetoy,Mar 31 2006, 08:04 PM Wrote:Bring it up... We'll see if we can break it.
[right][snapback]178319[/snapback][/right]
sure thing..

of course I already know it can be broken, because, um, well,you see, it's already broken :P..

maybe we can race your shifter cart :P
darkpuppet,Mar 31 2006, 10:33 PM Wrote:
bluetoy,Mar 31 2006, 08:04 PM Wrote:Bring it up... We'll see if we can break it.
[right][snapback]178319[/snapback][/right]
sure thing..

of course I already know it can be broken, because, um, well,you see, it's already broken :P..

maybe we can race your shifter cart :P
[right][snapback]178331[/snapback][/right]

Sold my shifter kart. Still got the 4 stroke though.
bluetoy,Mar 31 2006, 09:59 PM Wrote:Still got the 4 stroke though.
[right][snapback]178338[/snapback][/right]

So does darkpuppet but I don't think he talks about his disfunction online unless you have a credit card number.

:lol:
2001 ZTS,Mar 31 2006, 10:16 PM Wrote:
bluetoy,Mar 31 2006, 09:59 PM Wrote:Still got the 4 stroke though.
[right][snapback]178338[/snapback][/right]

So does darkpuppet but I don't think he talks about his disfunction online unless you have a credit card number.

:lol:
[right][snapback]178346[/snapback][/right]

That is low.
darkpuppet,Mar 31 2006, 10:22 PM Wrote:That is low.
[right][snapback]178347[/snapback][/right]

You don't know "low" but I have her phone number if you'd like.

How was "wings & beers"?
2001 ZTS,Mar 31 2006, 10:32 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Mar 31 2006, 10:22 PM Wrote:That is low.
[right][snapback]178347[/snapback][/right]

You don't know "low" but I have her phone number if you'd like.

How was "wings & beers"?
[right][snapback]178351[/snapback][/right]

not as good as "low" apparently.