FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Oops, I Did It Again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Don't know how it happened, but I managed to back out of my garage with the door halfway down again. Last time I used my wings west spoiler as a battering ram and knocked my double garage door off its rails. This time the door was a little higher, so I managed to slice off a layer of my roof rack.

Hey Jeremy, you still have the roof rack you removed from your wagon?

Man thats pretty rough.

How did you not notice that the garage door was only half way up?

Got any pics of the damage?
Personal Driving Rule #1 -- Always back into garages and parking spots.

Chances are less you'll back into something when you park, you tend to be less careful when you leave.
OAC_Sparky,Mar 30 2006, 11:19 PM Wrote:Personal Driving Rule #1 -- Always back into garages and parking spots.

Chances are less you'll back into something when you park, you tend to be less careful when you leave.
[right][snapback]178159[/snapback][/right]

I thought I was the only one that actually made a point of always backing into spots..
microbunny,Mar 31 2006, 06:07 AM Wrote:I thought I was the only one that actually made a point of always backing into spots..
[right][snapback]178177[/snapback][/right]
Naww it's an obsessive-compulsive pet peeve of mine.

Ask my wife. :twak:

:lol:
OAC_Sparky,Mar 31 2006, 06:43 AM Wrote:
microbunny,Mar 31 2006, 06:07 AM Wrote:I thought I was the only one that actually made a point of always backing into spots..

[right][snapback]178178[/snapback][/right]

I do it too. I even took a "safe backing" course when I was in the military. Plus when you back in you dirve past where you will end up so can check for obstacles and it is a straight shot out with everything in sight. EVERY year you hear stories of parents who back over their own kids in their own driveway. Shouldn't happen.
yeah, we were always taught that too.. I do it mostly out of habbit now....

but one year, I drove home only to find out that my younger brother decided to put the basketball net back up. Low and behold the post holding the net fit nicely into c-pillar of the intrepid I was driving.
I remember taking my young driver's course and they made you back into parking spots. The only exception they made was if both spots were open you could drive right through. Good habbit to have though I know myself I have almost backed into a few people walking on the sidewalk when I leave in the morning, I just assume sometimes that no one is there :(
If you can't drive as well and as smoothly backwards as you can forwards, you need more practice. Nuff said.

Not flaming anyone, just relating what I learned quite some time ago.
[Image: 01-Driver-s-Blind-View-Spot.jpg]
ZTWsugardaddy,Mar 30 2006, 11:01 PM Wrote:Don't know how it happened, but I managed to back out of my garage with the door halfway down again.  Last time I used my wings west spoiler as a battering ram and knocked my double garage door off its rails.  This time the door was a little higher, so I managed to slice off a layer of my roof rack.

[right][snapback]178153[/snapback][/right]

:lol: :lol:

I feel so proud
ZTWsugardaddy,Mar 30 2006, 11:01 PM Wrote:Don't know how it happened, but I managed to back out of my garage with the door halfway down again.  Last time I used my wings west spoiler as a battering ram and knocked my double garage door off its rails.  This time the door was a little higher, so I managed to slice off a layer of my roof rack.

[right][snapback]178153[/snapback][/right]

you know, you should make sure the door is fully open before you back out. .it could be all that carbon monoxide that's getting you half asleep at the wheel.

glad it wasn't too damaging.. roof racks are relatively easy to replace.
2001 ZTS,Mar 31 2006, 06:52 AM Wrote:

I do it too. I even took a "safe backing" course when I was in the military. Plus when you back in you dirve past where you will end up so can check for obstacles and it is a straight shot out with everything in sight. EVERY year you hear stories of parents who back over their own kids in their own driveway. Shouldn't happen.
[right][snapback]178179[/snapback][/right]

I know what your talking about, I'm still active in the CF and drive an F-250 Super duty crew cab long box (8foot one) with a cap on it and I always back into spots with it (well we have to or the MP's will ticket us) so it is second nature for me to back my car in wherever I go. I'm so use to it that I even give my car horn a little honk when I start to back up because the military train us to do that too, boy do I feel foolish when I do that a a place like timmies when people are around. :unsure:
PIGEON1,Mar 31 2006, 11:35 AM Wrote:I know what your talking about, I'm still active in the CF and drive an F-250 Super duty crew cab long box (8foot one) with a cap on it and I always back into spots with it (well we have to or the MP's will ticket us) so it is second nature for me to back my car in wherever I go. I'm so use to it that I even give my car horn a little honk when I start to back up because the military train us to do that too, boy do I feel foolish when I do that a a place like timmies when people are around. :unsure:
[right][snapback]178247[/snapback][/right]

if people stop and look, you know it's working.
:lol: @ dp

See, the morons that sell the fakes don't think of the safety of others, it's all $ $ $ to them. I hope they get what they deserve.
PIGEON1,Mar 31 2006, 04:35 PM Wrote:

I know what your talking about, I'm still active in the CF and drive an F-250 Super duty crew cab long box (8foot one) with a cap on it and I always back into spots with it (well we have to or the MP's will ticket us) so it is second nature for me to back my car in wherever I go. I'm so use to it that I even give my car horn a little honk when I start to back up because the military train us to do that too, boy do I feel foolish when I do that a a place like timmies when people are around. :unsure:

I do the same thing all the time. We have to at work or the damn MP's will get after us.
I back in at home & and work because whenever I'm leaving I'm usually in a hurry to get somewhere and backing out will slow me down and get on that last nerve I have :P

NefCanuck
dannyq,Mar 31 2006, 12:43 PM Wrote:
PIGEON1,Mar 31 2006, 04:35 PM Wrote:

I do the same thing all the time. We have to at work or the damn MP's will get after us.
[right][snapback]178270[/snapback][/right]

Obviously a few vetrans of the "safe backing course". My favourite part: "anytime there is a second person (passenger) they MUST exit the vehicle to help "spot" the backing process. Don't forget "they don't see you unless you see them" plus the universal hand signals.

Not a big hit on "first dates" let me tell you. That requires a special woman.
I have a service truck for work (materials, tools, etc,) and a guy in my division was backing out of the SwissChalet at lunch and had the whole rear of the truck ripped off by a "speedy parking lot racer"...you've seen these people...Ever since, it has been company policy to back into spots. But you should have seen the mess!
If you'd turn your head around and look out the back over your right shoulder you can see everything. There's no excuse for backing over or into things. Your rear view mirror is NOT for backing up.
Pages: 1 2