FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Catching Dealer Lies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thought it was a pretty good read....well, pretty funny with what some sales men will try and get away with.

You guys have any stories of dealers/salemen trying to rip you off with your car?

Mine...

When my father was looking for the bmw he knew what he wanted....the 4cyl (318Is)

We went to Otto's on Ogilvie here in Ottawa.....they had lots of used Bimmers on the lot...but we didnt see any 318 badges on any of em

The salesmen came out...

"Were looking for a used BMw....1992ish....one with the 4cyl"

"Uhhh, BMW doesnt make a 4cyl"

"Oh...ok...thanks"

we left right after. :lol:
I guess the sales guy was thinking of the 320 that is the 6 cyl.

I know what u mean, I love going anywhere and seeing how ppl realy have no clue what they are talking about. I dont have much of dealer stories but everytime i go to RONA or HD its the same thing. I know more about their products then they do. ITs sad. very sad
Hopper's Pontiac bla bla here in North Bay. About a month before we bought the Focus.

"We can't let you drive the car until you're certain you're going to buy it."

"Do you know how to drive stick? Or are you just saying that?"

North Bay Chrysler - "We don't have any vehicles that you want available for test drives right now." Me - "What about the SX 2.0 we JUST looked at?"

"We don't have any dealer plates available" *car comes back on the lot at that point with their plates and we ALL saw it* "Can you come back next week? Will you be buying a Dodge for sure?"

What a bunch of putzes.

My personal fave - the Volvo dealer here in North Bay - "You can't possibly afford a BMW or Volvo, don't come back until you can" :rolleyes:
Forbes Ford.

Got a quote on my car by myself x number of dollars.

Went in the following night with my dad....Mysteriously, the car was cheaper....by a lot.

Testing out a used escape.

Hands me the keys. I notice its the same kind of key fob for my ZTS, with the remote start button on it.

I turn on the car as we are walking to it, and say "nice, its got a remote starter"

sales guy "no it doesnt, but we can get one installed if you want"

Me: "i just started the car now, didnt you hear it?"

sales guy : "no i think we left it running, did i tell you it has factory warranty on it still"

Me: "no you didnt how many KM's are on it?"

Sales guy : "160,000 km's"

RIGHT
There's not enough room for all the stuff I have...

I used to be a car dealer, and I now work for a sub-prime (high interest) vehicle leasing company... so, we deal with the less-than-prestigous dealers.... new horror stories DAILY.
NOS2Go4Me,Mar 30 2006, 03:43 PM Wrote:My personal fave - the Volvo dealer here in North Bay - "You can't possibly afford a BMW or Volvo, don't come back until you can" :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]178073[/snapback][/right]
Audi in New Market was the complete opposite. I walked in saying I just wanted a brochure for an A6, and they asked me if I wanted to book a test drive. I think I was 17 with my G2 license. I woulda done it if I knew I could get back for it. Great people they were. If I buy an Audi it's from them (though that was 4 years ago, maybe they changed). Surprising how treating someone like they're a human being makes a world of difference.

When I was looking for a car, I went a few places. Chevrolet told me they had no Caveliers, none at all. They did of course. Went to a Mazda dealership, they treated me like crap. Nissan dealership on the umm queensway? really helpful and nice.

Oh, Mazda in Orangeville was awesome too, I only said I was looking for a car and wasn't going to be interested in buying one for quite a while, and he handed me the keys and said there's lots of gas, come back when you want.

Hmm lies... most of the lies I got were from 'dealers' on Finch. Mostly stuff like "that'll buff out" or "I know a guy".
I always found it was easier to meet with people you know, I had a 98 CRV fully loaded and 5 speed for 48 hours on a test drive, and the current focus for a day, and a 2001 Golf Cabrio for a few hours as well, but what really got my attention was I got a better deal with the family friend at Ford.

Best worst dealership treatment for me was walking into Georgetown Honda and looking at the Civic in 2000 for a strong concideration, and the one guy made the crack to another guy that was with him, then repeated to me " you could never afford to lease this car " as he noticed I was in my work uniform.... I looked at him opened my wallet showed him a bank statement showing I had $5500.00 in there then I commented will look else where for better dealership.
mo_focus,Mar 30 2006, 02:39 PM Wrote:I guess the sales guy was thinking of the 320 that is the 6 cyl.

I know what u mean, I love going anywhere and seeing how ppl realy have no clue what they are talking about. I dont have much of dealer stories but everytime i go to RONA or HD its the same thing. I know more about their products then they do. ITs sad. very sad
[right][snapback]178070[/snapback][/right]

Agreed....Home Depot think they know the s*** but really they don't know anything

Tiketz,Mar 30 2006, 08:19 PM Wrote:
mo_focus,Mar 30 2006, 02:39 PM Wrote:I guess the sales guy was thinking of the 320 that is the 6 cyl.

[right][snapback]178070[/snapback][/right]

Agreed....Home Depot think they know the s*** but really they don't know anything
[right][snapback]178138[/snapback][/right]

Having worked at both Home Depot and Rona, I never trust the people that work there. That being said every dept generally has one or two people that know what they talking about, its just hit or miss whether you get those people.
there is always a lot of bull flying around when commission sales are involved. i absolutly hate that kind of environment, the only person to get screwed over is the customer.
FocusGuy7476,Mar 30 2006, 11:03 PM Wrote:there is always a lot of bull flying around when commission sales are involved. i absolutly hate that kind of environment, the only person to get screwed over is the customer.
[right][snapback]178154[/snapback][/right]

I refuse to shop at most stores that have commisioned sales people. I think futureshop is the worst for that. I don't think paying your sales people commision encourages them to give the best customer service, because if you're not buying something that day, the sales people don't want to help you.
Not really a lie but, took an 02 SiR for a test drive and the salesman would not shut up about the "rally inspired shifter". After 5 minutes I had enough. I asked him (fully well knowing the answer) "Does Honda even have a rally team??" salesman "Ummm, I'll have to check on that.".....Dumbass!