FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Sell My Car....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering if you guys had any tips/tricks... ideas where, how to sell my car..

Its a 2003, Focus SVT ZX5... 94500 KM now... Piling on fast. so i want to sell it fast.

I tried trader in the off season...
Had a few bites.. but no time for them.

I guess i shouldnt have Listed the car the same week i was moving to brantford.

the car was on ebay earlier this week. But there was a problem with the listing and you couldnt find it through Ebay motors vehicle search.

only by typing Focus SVT on regular ebay.

There is alot of competition on ebay for focus/focus svts. but mine was the only one in canada that was on there...

Result 3 people watching the auction (but no bids... 2 days in when the auction was pulled, and i was credited)

Now, On autotrader there seem to be 4 svt focus'

all seemingly 02 models... which means theyre all 3 door hatch's

Ranging from 19000 - 16900 (ones with 60km or less) and there are 2 with 70k + going for 13900

In order to make this sale worthwile for me, i figure it would be fair to list for 14500 or 15000 w/ snow tires and rims. Since its an 03 5-door.

My question is, do you think ebay or Trader would be a better bet? Or do any of you have any other options where i can put the car for sale.

Thanks
Truth. Just like real estate and everything else in life, if you aren't getting offers than your asking too much.

Keep the price low and reasonable for those tire kickers to give you a decent price.

I have seen 02 SVTF on eBay for less than $10kUS. That's alot lower than your price.

It really isn't important to a buyer what you want or need to get out of the car, it's what the market and the buyer will pay.

And don't judge what Jay got for his car as an idea of market value. He, IMO, got very lucky finding a unique buyer for his unique car. Many would never had paid that price.
I understand that...

i had my listing starting at 11800USD... and had a couple people watching it.

Jays car was unique. I'm just going by the other cars on autotrader, and a bit of research that ive done otherwise. i believe asking around 14k for my car is fair. and i dont see myself taking much lower for it.

the ontario SVTF market seems to go go from 14 - 19k cdn.. so starting at 14k doesnt seem to bad to me
here, this is what I am talking about

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-FOCUS-...1QQcmdZViewItem

keep in mind it's a year older, but half the mileage of yours.
I know i'll have trouble on the american market.... there are more cars there. for lower prices... But to me it seems like there's too much hassle to get a car from the states... and just the car + shipping youre looking at about 13000... then add DRL. pay all duties and taxes. it adds up.

Nevertheless, that one sounds sketchy to me...

side of car repainted....
allow 15 days for removal of liens...
all that stuff would scare me away a bit from that car.

I went through all of that searching for a wrx... now i've decided to buy something localy

But also... there are some smoking deals on there for SVT's with the EAP...
they have a 2004-05 Subaru WRX at Mega City Auto Wreakers, needs a hood, grills, bumper driver side head light and maybe an air bag, it's for sale, and it would be a hell of alot cheaper to repair that one and put it on the road then buying one from a dealer ship's lot.
I still have people from autotrader calling me about it to. Just have to find the right person. Jarrods car for example is still up for sale on the car lot.

I would ask for 16G or best offer. Just be patient.

If you want to sell it right now. Strip it down to stock and sell it to a used car dealorship. Might not get as much but they will take it. Thats what my backup plan was if I wouldnt of sold mine.
scoobasteve,Mar 29 2006, 04:36 PM Wrote:I know i'll have trouble on the american market.... there are more cars there. for lower prices... But to me it seems like there's too much hassle to get a car from the states... and just the car + shipping youre looking at about 13000... then add DRL. pay all duties and taxes. it adds up.

[right][snapback]177886[/snapback][/right]
Who, what where???

There are no duties to import a car into Canada.
If you buy the used car at a good price from a US DEALERSHIP, they will help with the export. Atleast that's what I found out.
I didn't find it that hard. And if you want help. Ask.
Your right in stating that it can add up, but the taxes on the car are what you would pay if you bought the car here. Only more here because the car is more expensive.
I searched for Western NY dealers and emailed 5 with 3 returning my eamils ( no wonder Ford is in trouble)
There was 1 that stood out and was willing to help me and gave me alot of info and advice. To me, it seems like a no-brainer. Especially with the value of the Can $$

The problem is you want to sell it fast AND get what you want for it which is very tough IMO. Usually it has to be one or the other.

Here whats out there on Canadatrader right now (East to West coast except for your Ontario region).

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/result....&dm=1&mph=false

meford4u,Mar 29 2006, 04:47 PM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Mar 29 2006, 04:36 PM Wrote:I know i'll have trouble on the american market.... there are more cars there. for lower prices... But to me it seems like there's too much hassle to get a car from the states... and just the car + shipping youre looking at about 13000... then add DRL. pay all duties and taxes. it adds up.

[right][snapback]177886[/snapback][/right]
Who, what where???

There are no duties to import a car into Canada.
If you buy the used car at a good price from a US DEALERSHIP, they will help with the export. Atleast that's what I found out.
I didn't find it that hard. And if you want help. Ask.
Your right in stating that it can add up, but the taxes on the car are what you would pay if you bought the car here. Only more here because the car is more expensive.
I searched for Western NY dealers and emailed 5 with 3 returning my eamils ( no wonder Ford is in trouble)
There was 1 that stood out and was willing to help me and gave me alot of info and advice. To me, it seems like a no-brainer. Especially with the value of the Can $$
[right][snapback]177901[/snapback][/right]

If I had it to do over again, I would have brought in an EAP car in the colour I wanted from the US, instead of buying the last one on the local lot.
i thought i read there was a some sort of tariff you had to pay at the border.

haha, and i asked for help with importing a car... 3 or 4 times. nobody could give me a difinitive answer.

Jay... Theres no way i could get 16k for my car... so i'm not even gonna bother try...

I'll list it for 15000. w/ snow rims/tires. and we'll see where i go from there.

now i just have to choose a method of sale..

Ebay or Trader...

(canadatrader seems to have horribly overpriced cars)

i mean... godddamn... i paid for my car new, than some people are selling theirs for.. 23k... hgaha
SVT ZX3,Mar 29 2006, 05:53 PM Wrote:The problem is you want to sell it fast AND get what you want for it which is very tough IMO. Usually it has to be one or the other.

Here whats out there on Canadatrader right now (East to West coast except for your Ontario region).

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/result....&dm=1&mph=false
[right][snapback]177904[/snapback][/right]

The thing is i have time... i mean, i can hang onto the car forever. but i'd really prefer to sell it before i hit 100,000km. which will probably be sometime in mid may.
$9,000 cash :P
scoobasteve,Mar 29 2006, 06:05 PM Wrote:i thought i read there was a  some sort of tariff you had to pay at the border.

haha, and i asked for help with importing a car... 3 or 4 times. nobody could give me a difinitive answer.

Jay... Theres no way i could get 16k for my car... so i'm not even gonna bother try...

I'll list it for 15000. w/ snow rims/tires. and we'll see where i go from there.

Ebay or Trader...

i mean... godddamn... i paid for my car new, than some people are selling theirs for..  23k... hgaha
[right][snapback]177907[/snapback][/right]
There is a $210 fee at the border for paperwork. That's not enough to make me not look in the US.
And I only found out this info recently as I delve further into buying a US car.
meford4u,Mar 29 2006, 06:44 PM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Mar 29 2006, 06:05 PM Wrote:i thought i read there was a  some sort of tariff you had to pay at the border.

Ebay or Trader...

i mean... godddamn... i paid for my car new, than some people are selling theirs for..  23k... hgaha
[right][snapback]177907[/snapback][/right]
There is a $210 fee at the border for paperwork. That's not enough to make me not look in the US.
And I only found out this info recently as I delve further into buying a US car.
[right][snapback]177916[/snapback][/right]
theres also a $1000 fine if you buy the beer on this side of the Duty Free and not cross the boarder, trust me, i know <_<
list it on ebay and in the trader/buy and sell/triad ... get it out there so as many people see it as possible ... it might cost alittle more now but if it sells it'll be worth it
once you pass the 100k wall your value declines raplidly.... hope it sells its a nice car.

I think i've seen your car around most places I've frequented......i'd say just trader, I think its the best bet.