FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What Will I Need For The House?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, the day is coming...June 6th is just around the corner, and if the builders get my house up on time I'll be moving in then.

I'm putting together a list of stuff that I will need....figured since a few of us have bought houses recently, maybe you guys could help me out.

I already have 2 couches, for the basement and for the dogs to go on. I want to buy some nice leather couches for the living room on the main floor, ones that the dogs will not be allowed to go on. I have a lawn mower, air compressor, lots and lots of tools, a washer and dryer, microwave, you know....s*** that I had at my old house/apartments.

My list of things needed so far is:

-Fridge
-Stove
-Love seat (leather, probably Tan)
-Couch (same as above)
-Couch covers (On the couches for the dogs)
-Garbage cans (outside & indoor)
-Mop
-Toaster
-Vaccum
-Coffee maker
-Curtains
-Blinds
-Dining room table (living single & in apartments, you dont really go out of your way to buy these things when you eat by yourself most of the time)

I know I'm probably missing a s*** load of stuff, probably a lot of little things that wont come up until I move in and be like "Oh yeah, we'll need that!!" :lol:
BBQ
Jacuzzi
Pool
Sauna
70" widescreen HDTV
7.1 Surround Sound.

Oh yeah :lol:
CLEANING SUPPLIES
Even though it's a new hiuse... you might want to tidy stuff up. (lot's of dust)

Also you might want to swap out the toilet seats. (the builders have probably been using them.

Drop cloths/ strips of carpet so you can move in with your shoes on.

A good solid dolly would help too.
Oscar The Grouch,Mar 28 2006, 12:46 PM Wrote:BBQ
Jacuzzi
Pool
Sauna
70" widescreen HDTV
7.1 Surround Sound.

Oh yeah :lol:
[right][snapback]177542[/snapback][/right]

Other than the BBQ (which I have), those are things that are "I want to have, not needed though"

Entertainment center will be done in the winter when I finish the basement. I'm looking more for stuff that will be needed rather than, would be nice to have. ;)
Coffee Table?

Keggerator?

ANTHONYD,Mar 28 2006, 12:48 PM Wrote:CLEANING SUPPLIES
Even though it's a new hiuse... you might want to tidy stuff up. (lot's of dust)

Also you might want to swap out the toilet seats. (the builders have probably been using them.

Drop cloths/ strips of carpet so you can move in with your shoes on.

A good solid dolly would help too.
[right][snapback]177544[/snapback][/right]

Cleaning supplies, didnt even think of that.

Good call on the toilet seats! :lol: & the drop clothes!

Got a good dolly. Check.
I'm gonna be watching this thread closley... see if i forgot anything for the condo this weekend :D
Got 2 new coffee tables.

Kegerator is on the "I want list" :P
a shovel.

and outdoor furniture.
also, what they told us on delivery of the house in brantford...

get a roll of green painters tape. and stick a piece everywhere where you find an imperfection in the house

drywall, scratches. missing caulking.. etc etc...

it makes it much easier to fill out your month end tarion report

Also, makes sure you have a retract-a-bit skrew driver in your pokect. You'll find you may have to take things apart in order to move tham.

Also, keep toilet paper within easy reach, there won't be any when you get there.

A garden hose to rinse off any mud if it's a new development.
light bulbs. Energy saving ones if your smart.

and a garlic press.
I'll have my tool box there, so any tools needed will be available, plus the parents are a 5 minute drive

House already comes with the energy efficient light bulbs.

Garden hose is a good idea.....it is a new development....lots and lots of mud. <_<
Door mats...vipe yuu feeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!

get one of those little hedgehog spiky things to brush the crud of your loafers!!
A shotgun to shoot kids stepping on your lawn :ph34r:

depending on the house layout (or if you have grass) get a few planks of wood. and back the moving truck as close to the door as possible.

02ztsian

Unless you have sliding doors, shower curtains are a must. Also get several pairs of those grey and blue gloves from Home Depot, kinda rubbery on the blue(palm) side. You have no idea how much easier it is to move cardboard boxes with these on.
OMFG!!! how could we have missed this one!!

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!

and blankets, to cover walls and things being moved from stratching surfaces.
haha, i allready said keggerator!

beat ya to it!!!!!

SKEET SKEET SKEET
Oh there are so many things you will never think about and it's all those things that cost the money. Kitchen utensils, I had plates, glasses and silverware but I wanted better ones so we went out and $600 later we had new stuff. Figure about $50 - $100 for every project you need to do.

I've probably spent about 2G misc stuff since we moved in 3 weeks ago.

Just remember to enjoy it, you only get to move into your first house once and getting all stressed out will totally ruin the experience. Trust me, it happens.

Oh and don't forget a BBQ
Euro Ford Fan,Mar 28 2006, 02:03 PM Wrote:Oh and don't forget a BBQ
[right][snapback]177570[/snapback][/right]

Beat you to that.

Hmmm other necessities:

- Land Mines
- Pop up spike strip for the driveway.
- Trap door at front door. Take that you pesky Girl Guides.
- Razor Wire, ELECTRIFIED!!!!
- Trenches, yeah gotta have trenches.
- Moat, with crocs in it.
- Nothing says "Hi Neighbor" like a well placed howitzer gun. :D

Real stuff you may need:

- Edge trimmer for the lawn.
- Rake
- Garden hose
Pages: 1 2