FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Michael Schumacher Calls Off F1 Comeback!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Michael Schumacher has called off his Formula One comeback, citing a failure to recover from a longstanding neck injury.

The German was set to replace Ferrari's Felipe Massa at the upcoming August 23rd European GP, sparking a huge rise in ticket sales as fans of the seven-time World Champion were eager to witness his brief comeback.

Schumacher's return, though, was dependent on his fitness as the seven-time World Champion is still recovering from a neck injury that he suffered in a motorbike accident back in February.

However, after undergoing various tests, including a run in Ferrari's 2007 Championship-winning car, the 40-year-old has revealed that his neck "cannot stand the extreme stresses" of competing in a F1 grand prix.

As such, Schumacher has called off his return.

"Yesterday evening, I had to inform Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo and team principal Stefano Domenicali that unfortunately I'm not able to step in for Felipe," Schumacher told his personal website.

"I really tried everything to make that temporary comeback possible, however, much to my regret it didn't work out. Unfortunately we did not manage to get a grip on the pain in the neck which occurred after the private F1-day in Mugello, even if medically or therapeutically we tried everything possible.

"The consequences of the injuries caused by the bike-accident in February, fractures in the area of head and neck, unfortunately have turned out to be still too severe. That is why my neck cannot stand the extreme stresses caused by Formula One yet.

"This are the clear results of the examinations we did on the course of the past two weeks and the final examination yesterday afternoon. As there were no improvements after the day in Mugello, I decided at short notice on Sunday to do that thorough examination already yesterday.

"I am disappointed to the core. I am awfully sorry for the guys of Ferrari and for all the fans which crossed fingers for me. I can only repeat that I tried everything that was within my power. All I can do now is to keep my fingers crossed for the whole team for the coming races."
he took the car for a spin around the track and realized he is not making fast times so he called it quits :)