FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Bore-out Stock Tb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hear everyone talking about how they bored out the stock TB on the focus. I was thinking of buying a bigger but if this will work, I'll check it out. Before I do, do I need to upgrade any sensors or anything? Any help would be cool, thanks.
Boring a TB requires no extra sensors, no.

Focus Hacks Article
Awsome thanks...I'll let you know how it goes...going to take my time, should be done by this weekend. Wish me luck!
If anyone needs one done and doesnt want to do it themselves.... I got a dremel and time.... get me a burger for my efforts and Ill carve the most possible out of the thing.

Ive done 4-5 now from this board...
A burger? tsk tsk :P
tdot-zx3,Mar 27 2006, 05: Wrote:If anyone needs one done and doesnt want to do it themselves.... I got a dremel and time.... get me a burger for my efforts and Ill carve the most possible out of the thing.

Ive done 4-5 now from this board...
[right][snapback]177325[/snapback][/right]

A burger huh? I might take ya up one that in the near future...

And best of luck residentdud. Post progress pics if ya can.
Sorry, already back under the hood...only took me a few hours. Its more responsive now, and loud. I'll be doing some more work on my car this weekend, so I'll pull the intake off and snap a few...looks great too, nice and smooth and awsome.
Well if it doesn't work out and you manage to wreck it, I have one for ya,

01-yellow-ZX3

Stock TB for sale as well: $40.
How dificult was this to do? Did you replace the gaskets after you finished? What bits did you use on your dremel? This seems like an easy Mod to do yourself. Any tips or pointers you can provide would be great.

Thanks, Kevin.
I bought a set of bits from CrappyTire (15 bucks) along with some epoxy putty and fine grit sandpaper. If you take off your intake you will see that the inside of the TB dips in , then out again towards the back. All I did was take off the fins, and made the circle perfectly round...big difference felt/heard right away. What I was most worried about was the top of my manifold, and debris falling in while taking the TB off/on, just be very careful.
also...I had abit of trouble when trying to take off the cable bracket...I left it on and just removed the cables. And DO NOT modify the rectangular section. Oh yeah, wear eye protection...trust me.
Sorry....no it wasn't hard at all....about a 3/10. The gasket is rubber, and in perfect shape so all is good.

02ztsian

Focus man, Focus.,Mar 28 2006, 06:35 AM Wrote:How dificult was this to do?  Did you replace the gaskets after you finished?  What bits did you use on your dremel?  This seems like an easy Mod to do yourself.  Any tips or pointers you can provide would be great.

Thanks, Kevin.
[right][snapback]177504[/snapback][/right]

Well I wish I had pics; anyway, first thing remove your TB. Look into the top. You will see how the opening kinda dips in where the mouth is larger than the throat. You will need to get some JB weld or other two-part plastic steel, and build up under the pinch point elsewise you will bore through. Rough up the surface with sandpaper to give the putty something to grab onto. Grind away until all the little tabs are gone and you are happy with how the TB "flows", visualizing the airflow. I used a carbide tip as opposed to sandpaper which can melt the TB.
Secondly, and this is the part I have never seen done by anyone else. Go to the junkyard. Find a Ford Aerostar minivan with a large TB; it will have a brass butterfly ab. 2 1/4" wide with a hole in it. Steal it. This will replace your old wedge butterfly. This is the real key to improved airflow. Measure and kinda approximate the middle of the Aerostar butterfly. Hot glue a screwdriver bit holder to the butterfly, the kind that you can run in a drill and change tips. Stick it in a variable speed drill and spin it to see if you have it centered and square. Once it looks true use lots of hot glue to hold it in place, You are going to "machine" the brass piece by SLOWLY spinning it in a drill and using your dremel with a coarse sanding drum to grind down the diameter to match that of the stock butterfly (do this by removing the wedge and comparing sizes). It helps to have an assistant for this bit but I did two by myself. Sounds kinda ghetto but it works. Once you are real close in matching the diameter remove all the hot glue, smooth all the edges with a file and test fit in the TB. You will find the thickness is not the same so you will need two washers to shim it. Also, the holes are in different places so you will need to re-drill and/or open up the existing holes in the brass butterfly. Re-grind as necesarry to fit. You want the TB to just close as the bracket touches the stopper (looks like an adjusting screw) with out binding. Next, get a propane torch and some solder and fill the hole on the brass butterfly. A soldering iron does not have enough heat. File smooth, wet sand to make things shiny, install and enjoy. BTW, do not overtighten the TPS or it will crack, idle too high or too low and you will blame me for everything. :lol:
Give yourself one whole day to complete.
im sallin a brand new FC tb for '03-04'
so if anyone is intrested pm me
NikiterZTS,Jul 9 2006, 09:29 PM Wrote:im sallin a brand new FC tb for '03-04'
[right][snapback]196936[/snapback][/right]

You've gotta have 100 posts before you can sell anything bud.
habmann,Jul 9 2006, 09:45 PM Wrote:
NikiterZTS,Jul 9 2006, 09:29 PM Wrote:im sallin a brand new FC tb for '03-04'
[right][snapback]196936[/snapback][/right]

You've gotta have 100 posts before you can sell anything bud.
[right][snapback]196937[/snapback][/right]

DItto. Plus that avatar pic will get you banned dude.
oh jeez im sorry....plz don't kill me , all i said that i have a tb for sale.....ok fine cut my fingers off but i wanna keep my life :)