FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Boring
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, its now been a month, yay for me!! I am now considering some other field, my only issue is that all I know is my trade, I have little else to go on. I am lucky that not only I still live at home, but I can also collect EI for now. I would love to try something new but what, I am a blue collar guy, work with my hands, get dirty, and I like to make stuff, and create. I've thought about construction, maybe. Only crappy part to that is that I would start out pretty low on the pay scale, and with my EI being what it is, it almost isn't worth getting anything lower than 13$/h to be worth it to me. Yes I am a mooch from the government, but I have worked had for the last 8 or so years, so I can. I really don't know, what else I can do. I've thought about moving to Alberta to get into the oil fields, I hear theres good money in that, but then its the move that scares me. What is a good field that pays good right now, or something that I can move up rather quickly in pay and in the business that I can enjoy my work again.
Three year co-op and when you are done you start at $60,000/yr:

http://marinetraining.ca/marine-programs/m...ing-technology/

We are ALWAYS short of engineers.

Other things you can do with that diploma is work, in all seriousness, in a nuclear power plant. They are always stealing our engineers, steam turbines just like on a ship.
geese 3 years seems like a ways to go for that kind of employment
laidman,Mar 25 2006, 09:05 PM Wrote:geese 3 years seems like a ways to go for that kind of employment
[right][snapback]176957[/snapback][/right]

There are two parallel programs: Marine Navigation and Marine Enginerring. I took the Nav but I was guessing you are more the engineering type.

It does take a special person for sure and it is real honest to god work. Some say it is like being in jail with the added bonus that you could drown. FYI during your co-op you do get an "allowance" each month while onboard a ship ($800-$1200/mo ten years ago).

I was lucky enough to make $50G as a 1st year co-op student because I was enthusiastic and considered good enough to replace existing employees during vacations. FYI my company is the only one where such things are possible (different union agreements than the other companies). I was a CAW member at the time, they are an affiliate and still hold the contract but are known as the CMU (Canadian Maritime Union) which I believe is CAW Local 7704? You may have funding options .

Irregardless I highly recomend the career and can obviously talk more about it.

I spent 12 years in the Navy and believe it or not my work on/with "merchant ships" has been far more exiting/interesting and rewarding.

I am on the "Advisory Commitee" for the College plus I perform the co-op student interviews. If you (or anyone) wants to know more about the program and lifestyle just let me know.

For the right person it is fantastic, 6 figure salary and work 6 weeks "on" (a ship) and 6 weeks "off" (at home).

I don't see much wrong?
Owen sound right??? wow thats a ways to go just for schooling/co-op. Hmm, I would almost have to get a job up there and go to school just to make ends meet and then there is the co-op. All for three years, hmm... It sounds like a good thing, I would probably enjoy it alot more than what I am doing. definitly have to think about that one..
i'm unemployed and not on EI at all, trust me you don't have it that hard. i've been looking for work since the begining of januray.
Look into any forms of service techs, check with any of the telecom companies, and cable companies the last two will be looking hard for people as the ground starts to thaw. For those the only major requirement is not being scared of heights (climbing a pole), and leaning on a strand 25-30 feet above the road (I personally loved it but its not for everyone).
Alberta is looking for people. Companies are offering all sorts of incentives to entice new employees. There are even bringing people in from Mexico albeit on a temporary basis for as long as their work visas last.

Our company has some ties to Alberta. Our human resources manager recently went there to scout the job market in relation to a small like company our parent was looking at purchasing. He could not believe how many jobs were available and how competive the employors were in trying to keep and find new people. The help wanted section was the thickest part of the newspaper.
dBlast,Mar 26 2006, 07:00 AM Wrote:Alberta is looking for people.  Companies are offering all sorts of incentives to entice new employees.  There are even bringing people in from Mexico albeit on a temporary basis for as long as their work visas last.

Our company has some ties to Alberta.  Our human resources manager recently went there to scout the job market in relation to a small like company our parent was looking at purchasing.  He could not believe how many jobs were available and how competive the employors were in trying to keep and find new people.  The help wanted section was the thickest part of the newspaper.
[right][snapback]176999[/snapback][/right]

What kind of work is up there, aside from the oil. Don't get mad, I really don't know. And how can get in touch with these companies...
laidman,Mar 26 2006, 09:10 AM Wrote:
dBlast,Mar 26 2006, 07:00 AM Wrote:Alberta is looking for people.  Companies are offering all sorts of incentives to entice new employees.  There are even bringing people in from Mexico albeit on a temporary basis for as long as their work visas last.

Our company has some ties to Alberta.  Our human resources manager recently went there to scout the job market in relation to a small like company our parent was looking at purchasing.  He could not believe how many jobs were available and how competive the employors were in trying to keep and find new people.  The help wanted section was the thickest part of the newspaper.
[right][snapback]176999[/snapback][/right]

What kind of work is up there, aside from the oil. Don't get mad, I really don't know. And how can get in touch with these companies...
[right][snapback]177010[/snapback][/right]
i heard they are looking for anything, litterally anything, like even if your job is to fix garage doors, they are looking for people. I also heard that you could start at $91,000 a year if you go out there, and that they work from October to May, becasue in the summer they can't work because its a bog.

If i can't think of anything to go to school for, or if anything happens, im driving out there and not coming back.
you go to Fort McMurry and you'll have a job in day, two max. Edmonton is pretty much the same thing. the only thing that is stopping me is that i'm not a big fan of alberta.
Ever thought about Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic / Diesel Mechanic. I know in the mining trade we always can use some.
Im telling you, Alberta has jobs everywhere.

Some of my clients that cash cheques and take payday advnaces are roughnecks and riggers out in Alberta. They do a 10 days on 7 off type thing, and the samll end of the payscale is like $2000 every 2 weeks.

But ive seen as much as $4000 semi montly/bi-weekly. But you have to be tough for most of the work. Like working in extreme cold, and crazy conditions, like boiler rooms that are 40-50C.

Not to mention alot of them develop drug problems and spend most of their money on prostitutes or gambling.

But as long as you got some balls and a good head on your shoulders. Their is MAD money guarnteed out on AB.
FociPhil,Mar 27 2006, 11:19 AM Wrote:Im telling you, Alberta has jobs everywhere.

Some of my clients that cash cheques and take payday advnaces are roughnecks and riggers out in Alberta. They do a 10 days on 7 off type thing, and the samll end of the payscale is like $2000 every 2 weeks.

But ive seen as much as $4000 semi montly/bi-weekly. But you have to be tough for most of the work. Like working in extreme cold, and crazy conditions, like boiler rooms that are 40-50C.

Not to mention alot of them develop drug problems and spend most of their money on prostitutes or gambling.

But as long as you got some balls and a good head on your shoulders. Their is MAD money guarnteed out on AB.
[right][snapback]177210[/snapback][/right]

wow, thats what Im looking for, aside from the drug, gambling, and prostitutes. Got any companies in mind, or even someone that can get me in the right direction...
i could look up some accounts and get the business names, maybe even some phone numbers.

What skills do you have? (welder, machine op. etc.)
MIG welding exp, steel.
TIG Welding exp, steel, aluminum

Mould Maker/Machinist. I can run various machine shop machines
K, ILL SEE WHAT I CAN DIG UP!!!
MIG WELDER EDMONTON
CNC MACHINIST NISKU, AB OR TEXAS
JOURNEYMAN WELDER, CALGARY
EDMONTON WELDER

Bunch more at Gov. website

And just looking through some of my clients files i found:

Precision Drilling 1-866-733-3729 and also Precision Well Services, and in Saskatchewan Cameco and Thyssen Mining/ Construction, but i dont have phone numbers for them. Hope that helps.

Let me know if ya need anything else.
osh mui gosh!

$54K , or $25 an hour for Mig welding???

wtf am i welding down here for??
Yup, that kind of money is out there you just have to lok, and be willing to move to get it. Thats what I am willing to do now.
Pages: 1 2