FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Air Compressor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Looking to get a new compressor for the shop/garage and I am not sure what is good, or what to look for as far as specs...etc

I'm going to check out crappytire...

any other ideas? makes? specs?

Any info is appreciated!

Also, I am not interested in any pancake style compressors
microbunny,Mar 25 2006, 03:54 PM Wrote:Looking to get a new compressor for the shop/garage and I am not sure what is good, or what to look for as far as specs...etc

I'm going to check out crappytire...

any other ideas? makes? specs?

Any info is appreciated!

Also, I am not interested in any pancake style compressors
[right][snapback]176899[/snapback][/right]
Not sure where you live, Bunny, but I got mine at Sears in the US. It's a 30gal, big enough to do 99% of the anything you'd want to do, and came with an impact gun, air ratchet and air hammer.

With the CDN dollar being so high, look for a sale, it's worth the drive if you live in the GTA

OAC_S

Edit: This is the one I have.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...pid=00916732000

At the time the tool kit came as a bonus. Still not a bad price.
Try Princess Auto.
MAlby7,Mar 25 2006, 05:43 PM Wrote:Try Princess Auto.
[right][snapback]176905[/snapback][/right]

Costco also has a couple of big-ass compressors.
MAlby7,Mar 25 2006, 04:43 PM Wrote:Try Princess Auto.
[right][snapback]176905[/snapback][/right]
Although I buy some of my air tools there, I don't know if I'd trust their compressors, considering the difference in price between the one I have above is marginal.

My 2 cents.
it all depends on what air tools you plan on using with it .. if your just using impact guns/ratchets and air blowers ... then you don't really need a big one that offers alot of cfm .. if you plan on using air grinders/sanders then you would want to look into one with a bigger tank/more cfm

princess auto has some a really great prices' and there quality compressors
I've got a central pneumatic air compressor I think these guys make the princess auto stuff. Its decent for the price. Something about PA, don't buy stuff thats not on sale.....

I think the main thing to look for:
Larger tank - Stay away from those little 2-5gal tanks, unless your just using a nail gun or some small things for a few minutes they are junk.
Check out the CFM @ 40/90psi. Make sure it can output at least 5cfm @ 90psi.
Oil Lube I find is much better than oilless.
Belt drive compressors are less noisy.

Ok, this is not a smart ass remark. But what is wrong with the pancake type compressors?
I am also in the market for a compressor and I am trying to gain all the info I can. I am not going to paint with it, very little (if any) pneumatic tool use, and I need it to be portable and lightweight.
It is mainly going to be used as a crown stapler and for putting in trim.
Any info would be appreciated. And I am trying to keep it under $500 for the compressor, hose, couplings and atleast 1 gun, preferably 2 for now.

meford...

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the pancake style compressors..I just was looking at a larger cylinder on a dolly with wheels...perferrably..
meford4u,Mar 26 2006, 09:12 AM Wrote:I am also in the market for a compressor and I am trying to gain all the info I can.  I am not going to paint with it, very little (if any) pneumatic tool use, and I need it to be portable and lightweight.
It is mainly going to be used as a crown stapler and for putting in trim.
Any info would be appreciated.  And I am trying to keep it under $500 for the compressor, hose, couplings and atleast 1 gun, preferably 2 for now.
[right][snapback]177011[/snapback][/right]
Look at Home Depot. They have some small Rigids that come with guns, should be just what you need. Dual cylinders, not bad price.

The only problem with the small ones is that the tanks drain too fast to keep certain air tools running. That's why I went with the one you saw the other day, I can run my air grinder, cutoff wheel, shear without waiting for the pump to keep up.

I never showed you, in the garage I have a nipple to route air to the (future) basement workshop and for when I go to frame it up.

Edit: Here's a Porter Cable pancake kit
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/...3&storeId=10051
It has to be portable, in the sense take it to a customers house.
meford4u,Mar 26 2006, 10:12 AM Wrote:Ok, this is not a smart ass remark.  But what is wrong with the pancake type compressors?

Well, I had a pancake style compressor, and they are exactly only good for what you want to do. Portable, and can pack a punch for what you need. Provided thats pretty much all you do.

I myself found with the pancake compressor I had I couldn't even fill up car tires effectively. With what i have now I still find that its small for me, but I only paid $180 for it, so I will keep it for now.

Look at my edit in the post above, Meford.
that's what i have been looking at. and what i borrow to use now
This is an even better deal:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...20&%20Inflators

A little heavier duty, that's US dollars. Pick it up in Niagara Falls.
OAC_Sparky,Mar 26 2006, 09:54 AM Wrote:This is an even better deal:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...20&%20Inflators

A little heavier duty, that's US dollars. Pick it up in Niagara Falls.
[right][snapback]177026[/snapback][/right]

that's a good deal indeed. I can't figure out what guns you get. I would like a crown stapler, a 18g finish 1"-2" approximately and a framing nailer.

And that's in the US. Guess I would ahve to make a trip and pay some duty.
meford4u,Mar 26 2006, 10:00 AM Wrote:that's a good deal indeed.  I can't figure out what guns you get.  I would like a crown stapler, a 18g finish 1"-2" approximately and a framing nailer.

And that's in the US.  Guess I would ahve to make a trip and pay some duty.
[right][snapback]177027[/snapback][/right]
I only had to pay the GST on mine (Plus NY sales tax)

Niagara Falls store at Summit Park Mall is out at the moment, You'd have to order it in, it takes a day or two.

Looks to be a crown stapler, finish nailer and brad nailer. Most smakk compressor kits don't come with a large framing nailer. But HD or Princess Auto has them reasonable, and seeing the money you save on the rest of the kit you could invest in a decent one.

Road Trip!
OAC_Sparky,Mar 26 2006, 10:05 AM Wrote:
meford4u,Mar 26 2006, 10:00 AM Wrote:that's a good deal indeed.  I can't figure out what guns you get.  I would like a crown stapler, a 18g finish 1"-2" approximately and a framing nailer.

And that's in the US.  Guess I would ahve to make a trip and pay some duty.
[right][snapback]177027[/snapback][/right]
I only had to pay the GST on mine (Plus NY sales tax)

Niagara Falls store at Summit Park Mall is out at the moment, You'd have to order it in, it takes a day or two.

Looks to be a crown stapler, finish nailer and brad nailer.

Road Trip!
[right][snapback]177028[/snapback][/right]

I emailed them. Thanks for the tip.

I have a ingersol rand 60 Gal stand up joby it sits in the corner of my garage waiting for me to hook up 230VAC to it its yours for a million bucks
DD1,Mar 26 2006, 07:49 PM Wrote:I have a ingersol rand 60 Gal stand up joby it sits in the corner of my garage waiting for me to hook up 230VAC to it its yours for a million bucks
[right][snapback]177087[/snapback][/right]
For $500,000 I'll hook it up....:lol:
Pages: 1 2