FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Scr Does V8 Focus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
was just watching speed this morning, Sport Car Revolution was doing a V8 Focus.

SCR V8 Focus

and holy cow, are they ever cutting the bejesus out of the car to make room for the engine.
i heard about this project a couple weeks back .. sounds like its gonna be one wicked car

what episode are they on now?
Looks to be a good episode... just that their comments on the car don't look too appealing.

Quote:Sean Hyland takes us from mild to wild as he and his crew convert this 'pathetic' Ford Focus into a serious tire burning street/track performer.
:1repost:

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.php...=16021&hl=speed

:) I guess that counts as a repost no? how far are they on the project so far last I saw they were gutting it and ripping apart the rear
nass,Mar 25 2006, 11:45 AM Wrote::1repost:

:) I guess that counts as a repost no?  how far are they on the project so far last I saw they were gutting it and ripping apart the rear
[right][snapback]176886[/snapback][/right]

it would be a repost if the post was about it. :P

anyhoo... the episode I caught, they were ripping the car appart, and cutting out the firewall to fit in a 425HP crate motor.

but the thing with the V8 conversion that bothers me the most is that you're hanging a HUGE amount of weight ahead of the front wheels, and replacing the independent suspension with a solid rear axle. Sure the car is fast, but can it really be a good handler?
darkpuppet,Mar 25 2006, 01:44 PM Wrote:
nass,Mar 25 2006, 11:45 AM Wrote::1repost:

:) I guess that counts as a repost no?  how far are they on the project so far last I saw they were gutting it and ripping apart the rear
[right][snapback]176886[/snapback][/right]

it would be a repost if the post was about it. :P

anyhoo... the episode I caught, they were ripping the car appart, and cutting out the firewall to fit in a 425HP crate motor.

but the thing with the V8 conversion that bothers me the most is that you're hanging a HUGE amount of weight ahead of the front wheels, and replacing the independent suspension with a solid rear axle. Sure the car is fast, but can it really be a good handler?
[right][snapback]176890[/snapback][/right]

People who want a focus to run like a mustang generally don;t care if it handles like one either.:rolleyes:
darkpuppet,Mar 25 2006, 12:44 PM Wrote:Sure the car is fast, but can it really be a good handler?
[right][snapback]176890[/snapback][/right]
Handling is secondary when you have a 5 block headstart to slow down and turn. ;)
Actually you are putting less weight in front of the tires than you think. The entire engine/trans ass'y in a FWD Focus is on or ahead of the tires. With a V-8 you'd be putting half the engine and all the trans/bellhousing/clutch etc behind the front wheels. A small block ford with cast iron heads only weighs about 450 lbs. put on some aluminum heads and intake and you cut 50 lbs off that easily.
ANTHONYD,Mar 25 2006, 01:00 PM Wrote:People who want a focus to run like a mustang generally don;t care if it handles like one either.:rolleyes:
[right][snapback]176891[/snapback][/right]

A pre '05 Mustang handles? :rolleyes: :rofl:

NefCanuck

(Still remembers seeing a Mustang swap ends trying to negotiate a turn that the car following it aced with no issues <_< )

bluetoy,Mar 25 2006, 07:15 PM Wrote:Actually you are putting less weight in front of the tires than you think. The entire engine/trans ass'y in a FWD Focus is on or ahead of the tires. With a V-8 you'd be putting half the engine and all the trans/bellhousing/clutch etc behind the front wheels. A small block ford with cast iron heads only weighs about 450 lbs. put on some aluminum heads and intake and you cut 50 lbs off that easily.
[right][snapback]176941[/snapback][/right]

true I guess... considering how much firewall they cut out to make it fit, I'd say half the engine is in the middle of the car...
darkpuppet,Mar 26 2006, 12:00 PM Wrote:
bluetoy,Mar 25 2006, 07:15 PM Wrote:Actually you are putting less weight in front of the tires than you think. The entire engine/trans ass'y in a FWD Focus is on or ahead of the tires. With a V-8 you'd be putting half the engine and all the trans/bellhousing/clutch etc behind the front wheels. A small block ford with cast iron heads only weighs about 450 lbs. put on some aluminum heads and intake and you cut 50 lbs off that easily.
[right][snapback]176941[/snapback][/right]

true I guess... considering how much firewall they cut out to make it fit, I'd say half the engine is in the middle of the car...
[right][snapback]177034[/snapback][/right]

Don't know why they're doing that. You don't have to cut any firewall. Hardly any tranny tunnel changes either. Must be going very radical.
yeah, they were putting in a 400+ HP engine (can't remember exact numbers), so I'm thinking it's slightly larger than the 302 that Kugel mentions on their website.

to say that someone is throwing down a lot of money for this conversion would be an understatement.
It'll be cool to see what the finally product looks like.

Altho if i were gonna do it, i'd be putting wheel tubs out back to put bigger tires on.

Would definately make for a fun 1/4 mile car.
I'm doing my zx3 up to be a sleeper, I don't really care for an all out 1/4 mi car but something that will be scary if you stomp on it. I like the idea of keeping my back seat. My main concern is the fuel tank which is pretty specific due to only having limited space to put plus having a cell in a car is waiting for cops to nail me. I am going to a chassis shop to get a fuel tank built so it can hook up to my existing filler neck. I am not sure how many liters i'll be able to put in the tank but I'm hoping 50+ can be possible since I plan to use this car as its real function as a car. I am not into garage queens, cars have wheels they are meant to be driven.