FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: College Teachers Strike
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well now that the strike is almost 3 weeks old, i've become incredibly frustrated by this strike. So i decided i would make my voice heard. A few nites ago i started righting a letter that has now been sent to the Premier, my local MPP, the minister for Colleges, the president of my college, the chair of my program, the local media, and both the colleges and the teachers union.

As the college teachers strike heads towards the end of its third week, I find myself as a student caught in the middle of this strike with more questions than answers. The only thing that I know at this point is that the only party losing anything during this strike is the students. At the end of this strike, whenever that may be, colleges will re-open and things will return to normal. Students will apply to start new courses in the fall and nothing will have changed for the colleges. At the end of this strike, teachers will return to their classrooms and resume teaching, maybe teaching less hours, but still teaching and things will go back to normal for them. At the end of this strike, what will happen to the students? The students will return to their classes, and be expected to learn what would have been taught in half a semester now compressed into a few weeks. This proposal does not seem to meet any college’s goal of a quality education.

Many people argue that the quality of the students’ education is at the heart of this strike. The reality of this strike is that, we the student cannot receive the service for which we have paid. In terms of strikes, this is one of the only times where the customer ultimately suffers as a result of a strike. For example, if an airline goes on strike, the paying public can use a different airline. If a steel mill goes on strike, the customer can buy their steel from another mill. In the case of the students, who are paying customers of the colleges, what option do we have? I cannot go to another college, they’re all closed as a result of the strike. Equally I cannot complete my semester by attending a University, that is not a workable option. This situation ultimately leaves the students stuck in the middle of a power struggle between two groups that claim to have the interests of the student at heart but have only hurt the students to this point.

To assuage the fears of students, the colleges have come out with their “Semester Completion Strategy” This strategy includes extending the semester, teaching classes in the evenings and on weekends, and cutting out non-essential class material. Has this plan eased the fears of students? Well it has not eased mine, or anyone else that I have talked to since they were unveiled. The plan to save the semester is at best wishful thinking and at worst just a diversionary tactic because the colleges do not really know what they are going to do. I would rather the colleges come out and say we do not know what we can do until the strike ends. That would be the truth. Instead, students are forced to accept “the plan”. How will scheduling extra classes during the evenings and on weekends affect the students that work during the those times, whether it is out of necessity or just to have extra spending money to enjoy their lives. Early responses from the colleges to the aforementioned problem are that if you show financial need, you will be accommodated. Under this plan, students that are in a better financial situation will not be accommodated. If you are going to take away my ability to work during the evenings and on the weekends, then I should be compensated for my lost wages regardless of my financial situation. Of even more concern to students is the plan to extend the semester into the month of May. Personally, every week that I am in school during the month of May, I will lose over $550 dollars. At this time colleges have no plan to reimburse the students for wages that are lost because of this strike. Once again the students loses. Alternatively, a solution could be to take the wages the teachers would have earned during the strike and distribute those wages to students that are losing because of this strike.

Perhaps an issue that has been overlooked so far involves the information that the students have learned thus far into the semester. When the strike does end, students will be required to continue their classes with no leeway time to recall former course material that has not been covered in almost two months. Thus, in addition to having to cope with the increased work load that can be assumed because of the compressed timetable to finish the semester, students will also be expected to review material from before the strike started on their own time. This does not provide students with the best opportunity to succeed in their program. As for the probable classes on evenings and weekends, this does not leave the students time to do the assignments, homework, and study for tests and the quickly approaching exams. Under this plan, once again the student loses out.

I have pointed out many problems involved with the consequences of this strike. Perhaps it is time to allow the students, who in my opinion are the most affected by this situation, to help resolve these issues. Teachers say that increased class sizes have increased their workload because of the increased number of classes and labs to be taught, and assignments and tests to be graded. A solution to this problem can be seen by following the example of local universities. Most universities employ higher semester students to work as teachers assistants. These new college teachers assistants could teach the labs, mark assignments and grade tests. This would greatly reduce the workload of the teachers of early semester programs where the student to teacher ratio is the highest. This would cost far less then hiring all the extra teachers that the teachers union would like to see hired to solve the problem. It would also give the students valuable experience when they finish their program.

The students have been described as the pawns of this strike. Well in chess it is the pawns that are sacrificed first while the more important pieces are put in place. And we have seen this is exactly what has occurred during this strike. I say it is time that the students are put first and this strike ends. I dare suggest that if both sides agree that students are the priority then we should finish the semester now and this strike should continue when it does not affect the students. I now call on the student leadership across the province to begin organizing anti-strike protests. It is time that the students’ voice is heard. I suggest that these protests continue at all the colleges until this strike ends. It is time for the pawns to become the kings and queens of this chess game and bring about an end to this strike and completion of our semester.

That is the letter in its entirety. What do you guys think?

in your last paragraph you say that the strike should end now and continue when it doesn't affect students. My question is, when would that be? can't be summer time cuz there are MANY programs that run during the summer, some of which being the final semester to 3 semester programs.

the only way it'll somewhat work out for the students is that if the teachers are ordered back to work while the talks still continue with both parties
schade,Mar 24 2006, 05:38 PM Wrote:in your last paragraph you say that the strike should end now and continue when it doesn't affect students.  My question is, when would that be?
[right][snapback]176819[/snapback][/right]

Well i've never seen a teacher protest during reading week when students aren't in the classroom, or over winter break when the students aren't in the class room. I realise that students do have classes in the summer and that prolly isn't the best time, but they could protest outside of class hours to get their msg out. The could protest on weekends. But they don't choose to do that, they do it when they hurt the students most. Towards the end of the semester during class time.

Well a new development has sprung from this. I emailed letter to the local TV station CHTV, and a producer emailed me back so I may be going in next week to talk about the effect the strike has had on me. The more exposure i can get from this the better. Maybe if we can get the students talking about this and involved we can bring an end to this strike.
OMG too much reading, can anyone read it to me please. I've been gone from school too long
great letter very well written.....for me during the strike i am trying to put as many hours as i can because when i go back its going to be hell learning the stuff i forgot ...and the new stuff i really hope my classes are not extended i already have 3 hour classes i cant sit longer then that

personally i think they shold let us drop our general education course that we were forced into taking
Personally I have the money saved up from previous co-op jobs that i don't need to work. I've put in a few extra shifts during the strike tho, the extra money doesn't hurt. My point is i shouldn't be punished when the teachers come back because I am in a better financial situation. The respose i got back from Mohawk College doesn't seem to understand that.
_JC_,Mar 24 2006, 07:44 PM Wrote:great letter very well written
[right][snapback]176828[/snapback][/right]

Really? I stopped reading after I read the first paragraph.......

habmann,Mar 24 2006, 11:24 AM Wrote:Well now that the strike is almost 3 weeks old, i've become incredibly frustrated by this strike. So i decided i would make my voice heard. A few nites ago i started righting a letter
[right][snapback]176741[/snapback][/right]

righting a letter? I may not be perfect at writing, but if this was sent out to anyone officially I would make sure everything was perfect before I wrote it.
Wow! Your thing is wayyy too long for me to read!

Either way, I'm in the same boot as you. What college do you go to? I'm attending Sheridan College. I noticed your from Hamilton, so you may go to Mohawk... if so, my boyfriend goes there.

They all have different ways of getting the semester completed, and I don't think any way is good. I believe that what the teachers are fighting for is good, but I don't think right now is a good time. Your probably thinking, when is a good time? Never. However, it would have been better to finish the semester and cut it into summer programs, because only a quater of students go into the summer time. Now people graduating in a few weeks are screwed.

I'm not sure what the best way is to go about handling this situation, but I know that if we DON'T get back to school soon... a lot MORE things are going to explode.
Well... agreements are approaching. Thank god.
laidman,Mar 24 2006, 11:31 PM Wrote:OMG too much reading, can anyone read it to me please.  I've been gone from school too long
[right][snapback]176825[/snapback][/right]

yeah it would be nice to have some cliff notes haha
Guess it doesn't much matter now, we're heading back to class on tuesday. They finally agreed to some form of mediation/arbitration.
Cliffnotes would be good :P

teachers want less kids per class.
More full time staff vs part time
More money (12% over 3 years)

Government removed the tuition cap
Did not legislate teachers to ....teach
Did not budget anymore spending for Post secondary

Colleges Offered 12% over 4 years
Somewhat smaller classes

Students got:
Bent over for 18 school days
Bent over for tuition (ontario's already one of the most expensive places for post secondary in North America)
Left in the dark over most of it, class resumes in 48 hours and no word on completion strategies

So given the above who's going to continue to get f***ed?.