FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What Would You Do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, perhaps this topic has been covered before, but if not, I wanted to start it up by asking what all of you would do if you could be hired on by the marketing dept of the big 3?

I think the biggest problem with both Ford and GM, is that they have commercials that tell you next to nothing about the car, and that they have too many commercials that talk about an image or lifestyle that you'd have with their car. Sure, for a lot of people a certain type of vehicle is a status symbol, whether it be legit or poseur...but I don't buy a car because of it's possible image it projects.

I think that they should have commercials that show what can be done with the cars, and have different types of people, not folks with 2-5 kids and 2 golden retrievers watching a movie from the back of the newest van while camping. To me, that's an add for the Gucci A/V system in the vehicle (which they always use the term "available" in asociation with them).

Ummm, not sure what I'd do speciffically...but I know I'd not have any stupid CGI stuff, or people taking a leisurely drive down a smooth road with a few leaves on it and all that jazz.

What do all of you think, or more exactly, what would YOU do?
It's all about status now... status and pointing out that if you don't have one of Brand X's new models, you're lacking in status.

Have you seen the new Miata commercial? I actually got to watch it last night... what a crock! Obviously single buddy is out cruising in his new Miata, pulls up to a light and some "hot" chick writes her number in lipstick on the windshield. He doesn't even smile back at her, then he wipes it off with the wipers and keeps driving.

Huh? :huh: Miatas replace sex? I wasn't aware that was currently possible!

Cars need to start being more about transportation first and status second. On that note, non-involved modding and customization should be the way to seek "status", not by having to spend assloads of cash at the dealer to have the same car as 100s of other "status seekers".

What would I do? As a people-conscious car maker, I'd offer a raft of customization possibilities right from the showroom. The Ford Focus 2006 GFX package would be the tip of the iceberg if I ran Ford. More FRPP selection right from the showroom floor, minor boltons don't void the warranties (ala Mopar Stg 1/2 work for the SRT-4) when done by the dealer or a certified shop, etc.

Of course, I'm a customization freak and not a corporation CEO, so this commentary is coloured and slightly biased :P
As a buyer, I tend not to believe any marketing whatsoever so I'm a little biased to buying upon facts, not as much on bling.

But if I could recommend on some of the things to do, #1 would be to increase advertising in the truck line (not including SUV). The big 3 make really good trucks IMO. As for small cars, especially hybrids, more money should go into engineering to make a product that is good to sell before it gets pitched to the public.
Right now if I was the head of any of the Big Three I would be absolutely cracking the whip when it comes down to quality of the product and dealership experience (esp. as it relates to servicing)

Nothing turns off a curstomer more than buying their new "XYZmobile" and having to return to the dealer multiple times to fix niggling glitches that should never be occuring in the first place and having to deal with service staff who act as though you should be honoured that they deigned to look at your problem at all.

THEN and only then, do I as the head of the company, go on TV, issue a mea culpa admitting that we screwed it up and that now we've learned our lesson.

As to ads after doing all this? They would entertain yes, but they would also inform. I mean the new Focus ads are so bereft of hard data that the only thing that sticks is (IMO) the vapid tagline "Stay Focused" :rolleyes:

NefCanuck
marketing is not all about advertisments. if i was working in the marketing department in the big 3, i'd frist have all the market research done for each market out there. that means there would be about 6 months of information gathering for the Canadian and US market.

once the research is done, treat each vehicle as a brand and market them to the target audience. it wouldn't be hard with Ford cause they have about 7 or 8 major vehicles. Be easier to do this than market the brand as a whole.

they have to stop advertising the discount on vehicles in order to sell them, this give the idea of a cheap car to begin with.
double post.