FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Home Audio Speakers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, so I can't fit my current speakers anywhere in my living room so I'm after some much smaller ones. I currently have a pair of Energy Veritas towers which sound amazing but don't fit. I need something small, a set of bookshelf or smaller, but they have to be clean and clear. These will be just temporary until I finish the basement where I will do a full 7 speaker setup.

Suggestions??
Paradigm. You don't have to get crazy if they are just temp.. Get a small bookshelf and be done with it. Good pricing and amazing sound.

You can get them in St. Catharines at that audio shop right next to the QEW Between Niagara and Welland Ave.

I have a set and they are terrific sound.
Bose.

Freakin' awesome.
I'll put in a vote for paradigm... amazing speakers for the price.

I've also heard, in person the B&W DM600 S3 ... holy frick.. of course they were hooked up to a tube amp, but they did sound quite amazing.

Also, if you have the money, Dynaudio Confidence C1 are pretty freakin' pimp..

but a good (but still expensive) middle road between those two would be the Paradigm Reference Studio 20, and it's slightly more expensive bigger brother, the Paradigm Reference Studio 40.
ANTHONYD,Mar 9 2006, 02:28 PM Wrote:Bose.

Freakin' awesome.
[right][snapback]174139[/snapback][/right]

I would have to respectfuly disagree. I got a sounddock for my ipod and sent it back the sound just never lived up to the hype. I would rather spend the $400 on a better set of speakers for my office.
darkpuppet,Mar 9 2006, 03:01 PM Wrote:I'll put in a vote for paradigm... amazing speakers for the price.

I've also heard, in person the B&W DM600 S3 ... holy frick.. of course they were hooked up to a tube amp, but they did sound quite amazing.

Also, if you have the money, Dynaudio Confidence C1 are pretty freakin' pimp..

but a good (but still expensive) middle road between those two would be the Paradigm Reference Studio 20, and it's slightly more expensive bigger brother, the Paradigm Reference Studio 40.
[right][snapback]174140[/snapback][/right]

Guys how much bass will I get with these speakers, I'm used to a bit not much but you know just enough to fill out the range? I'm liking the Studio 40 just wondering if that will be a bit too big. Hmmmm

Edit: never mind I answered my own question. :rolleyes:
One more question. With home theater speakers how much power do you really need? I have a Denon AVR-3805 reciever which is supposed to make 120 at 8 ohms per channel which I guess since these speakers take a max of 140, not like I'll ever have them up anywhere near full. At only 30% my energy speakers were distrubing loud. But they had a recomeded power rating of 250 watt, I guess that was total power right??

Guess I just don't know much about home theater..... yet.
You don't really need alot of power fo home theatre.

I have seen rear speakers that are decent for 25 watts.

But that is not the important issue. Clarity with a good receiver is. And your Denon is decent so find what you need for now and get a matching tuned set of high quality speakers for that special room later.

Believe me when I say I am right behind you. And I have a very good friend in the business
Klipsch Refference (if you can afford it) hands down. Or the Synergy series, though I don't know of many places that carry that model line. I have the Klipsch Refference series myself, though I don't have the rears yet. I have an RC25 Center, RB25 Fronts, and an RW10 for the bass. They just replaced the series I have with the Refference Mk 4, but principally the same...

Klipsch tend to have a huge soundstage, and an even larger presence, due to having Horn Loaded tweets, ceramic/alumium hybrid woofers, and internal wiring by Monster Cable. They can be VERY loud, with only a modest amount of power driving them. But they can easily hanlde more power than they are rated for. The speakers I have are rated for 75W max, though they can handle peaks up to a few hundred. I have all of my speakers being driven by a Marantz THX 7.1 receiver, with 10 Guage Monster Cable speaker wires, and the sub has an internal amp that is capable to over 500W when needed.

I like klipsch because they have a no-holds-barred sound to them. In your face, but doing so delicately...like a kiss on the lips. Their Forte is Jazz, or any music with a lot of Brass....they are also awesome with voices, both in surround modes and especially in stereo.

Give them a look...
Euro Ford Fan,Mar 9 2006, 05:15 PM Wrote:
ANTHONYD,Mar 9 2006, 02:28 PM Wrote:Bose.

Freakin' awesome.
[right][snapback]174139[/snapback][/right]

I would have to respectfuly disagree. I got a sounddock for my ipod and sent it back the sound just never lived up to the hype. I would rather spend the $400 on a better set of speakers for my office.
[right][snapback]174166[/snapback][/right]

Ipod speakers as oppose to their home theatre(s)?

BIG difference.

Don't write them off because the 3" speakes in the Idock were not to you liking.

My father has them... Super nice sound.
power per speaker, you should aim for a bare minimum 50 watts/channel to get decent fidelity from the amp to the speakers.

While <50W/ channel systems usually do alright, the fidelity just isn't there (not that most people would notice).

Your amp can drive a lot of power per channel, so don't be shy getting some decent reference-quality speakers. I like to err on the safe side of getting speakers that can handle more than the amp can give.
I agree with Puppet.

I've got Design Acoustics DAT-1010s... 40" of bass between them, rated for 250W RMS @ 4 ohms if memory serves. They run my front channels for my home theatre. They're also discontinued, but you just can't beat a solid set of speakers that have proper cut-offs for each component.

With my Panasonic SA-HE75... it's just golden. I don't even run a subwoofer and hardly miss it.