FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: For Those Of You Interested In A Car From The Us
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been looking for a car in the US for the last 3 months and have come across some cars that appear clean but have a salvage title on them in the past with the current owner stating it was just minor body work.
Apparently these cars are coming in loads from the flooding of the past hurricane season and are salvageable, but they will in the end, rust out faster than a Duke's of Hazzard car chase.
Just some info to be aware of.
I saw a report on TV about this, 90,000 lexus or something that was previously flooded and fixed with stolen parts.

So #1, the car sucks and #2, the cops may sieze it should they find out it has stolen parts....

I bet there are tons of cars toot hat didn't even get reported as salvage and end up getting sold to unknowing people.....
Actually ANY car with a U.S. salvage title sold in Canada are NOT ROAD LEGAL, they are ment to be scrap and nothing more. US Salvage title means that the car was a write off, or was heavly damaged they do sometimes come across the boarder as Salvage ment only for parts, but the ones that Have a US salvage title and are being sold as used with " minor damage " and got the title are illegally put on the road when they were never ment to go back on the road.

Police can Repo your car and your out the money you spent on it, not to mention they are Repoing mainly because these cars are a major safety risk then they appear to be.

Keep in mind a car in New Orleans that was totally under water, cleaned up and sold here is a major health risk too as the airbags will rust out and could explode on you at any point in time, not to mention that with all the water damage, there is the risk of mold, and what not being in the car at all times.
i carfax my car before i bought it.. showed the registration history, checked for any salvage titles issued etc. well worth it when buying a used car...

if you run a carfax and you see the car was registered in a hurricane state.. huge heads up right there even if there is no salvage title that its something to steer clear from..

A salvage title just means the car had more $ woth of damage than what it is worth and the insurance comany "totaled it". In some states if you fix a car with a salvage title you can have it inspected and get a different title that says rebuilt or something like that. Other state will allow you to fix it and just put it back on the road.

So if you get in an accident in an older Focus and mess up the bumper, grill, fenders, hood, lights, and blow off the air bags it may get a salvage title and it may not have any structural damage.

Also if someone destroys a car that is not covered under insurance they can fix it and nobody will ever know. And if are car is sold between states some states will give a clean title even though it had a salvage title in the last state.

Inspect a used car carefully before buying. Good luck.