FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Window Tint Ticket
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well of all things to get pulled over for, I got pulled over for having as the young cop put it " Very Dark Windows " and then gave me a ticket for having Colour Coating Obscuring Interior to the tune of a fine of $110.00.

I'm totally calling this a B/S ticket, as I was not speeding, and I just made a left turn from a intersection on a fresh green light. I told the officer I never had any issues with the window tint before and when I did get the last ticket for speeding well over a year ago that cop had no issue with the window tint.

He then asked me when I got the car, I said nov. 03 and it was used, and came with the windows already tinted, I asked if my Black interior could play a part of " him not seeing me in the car " and he said no......... :closedeyes: he then walked away and gave me the ticket.

I know that my front two windows are 35% tinted, and the rear 5 are 20%

I was wondering if anyone got a ticket like this before and what to do about it, I plan on fighting it, but should I call one of those points places ? I'm kinda at odds about this and could use some advice.

thanks guys
Well thats a complete BS ticket. I have had cops WARN me about my tint and mine is 20% front and 5% rear. Way darker than yours. The thing I know about window tint is that a ticket can be given to you at a police officers DESGRESSION. There is no law about dark windows (so I am told). If he had NO other reason to pull you over then fight it big time. That is bulls***! The only time they have warned me is at a ride program. The reason he told me that my windows are to dark is because it endangers an officer when they cannot see who they are approaching in the car (meaning you could have a gun pointed at the glass or a knife ready or whatever). Besides, from what I am told you should be "legally safe" with 35% tint on the front any how. The rears can be spray painted black if you wanted them too, there is no restriction on those.
So make sure you take that one to court, you should win.

Matt
Isn't if you can put your driver's licence in the interior window and if you can read it outside it's legal??

It would make alot of sense..
I think that 35% is legal for tint on the front, as for the rest of your car I dont think it matters. If you go to a tint place and they can get some kind of legal document to show that the tint is what it is, I'm sure the court will throw it out. But FOR SURE fight it!! If your not sure about the legalities of tinting, check it out first.
Unfortunately, window tint is a subjective ticket, it's like "excessive noise", if the cop feels that your interior is obsured, he can cite you for it, even as a nuisance.

From what I've heard, there's supposed to be a "test" (tint meter) to judge the tint darkness. But it still comes back to whether the cop feels that he could identify you or not.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statute...08_e.htm#73.(1)

Quote:Colour coating obstructing view prohibited

(2)  No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway where the surface of the windshield or of any window of the vehicle has been coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver’s view of the highway or any intersecting highway.  R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (2).

Colour coating obscuring interior

(3)  No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the driver’s seat has been coated with any coloured spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle.  R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (3).

I would call a tint shop, ask their advice.
focusonthis_88,Mar 5 2006, 12:14 PM Wrote:Isn't if you can put your driver's licence in the interior window and if you can read it outside it's legal??

It would make alot of sense..
[right][snapback]173427[/snapback][/right]

It's still illegal to drive with the front plate in the window.

When I was pulled over for some idiotic reason (you fit the description of a burglary suspect) the cop asked me if the tint was legal, took out his flashlight and did some bulls*** look-through, and sent me on my way.
My understanding is if the cop can't see the driver, he has the right to pull you over.
I work at a tint shop and 35% on the front 2 and 20%on the rest is 100% street-legal in the province of Ontario. Call Pointts, and take this to court...you'll get off, cause if you don't then alot of other people shoule be expecting tickets too!

Fight it man..
I've got 20% all around and like 1 foot tint banner on the windshield and have never had a problem. I've been pulled over enough times too! Only thing is i've upgraded my 3 dome lights(1 dome + 2 map) to the xenon bulbs, that might be what saved my ass. I've also been thinking of adding a second dome/map light for in the back too, cause i can't see s*** back there at night

oh and every time i see those wonderful flashing lights behind me first thing i do is power down both windows, hit on the dome and map lights, then open the glove box :lol:
microbunny,Mar 5 2006, 02:33 PM Wrote:I work at a tint shop and 35% on the front 2 and 20%on the rest is 100% street-legal in the province of Ontario. Call Pointts, and take this to court...you'll get off, cause if you don't then alot of other people shoule be expecting tickets too!

Fight it man..
[right][snapback]173437[/snapback][/right]
The problem is that POINTTS isn't free. It'll cost you more than fighting the ticket.

It would be better if you could produce a receipt or something from a tint shop and defend yourself in court.
I got one of those. Cop was going in the opposite direction middle of the day, pulled a u-turn and put on the lights. I took it to court and he never showed up, and therefore was let off. Although my car had 20% fronts and 15% sides and 5% rear, (black car with black interior) LOL. Only time I got hassled for it though.

Go to a shop get some proof (make sure it is a reputable shop and not johnny and bobby's tinting) Could probably even go through ford for some document. Then you could fight it yourself. In the end though I don't know how a ticket like that effects your record or insurance. IMO taking the time off work, going to the court house, possibly paying for parking etc. For $110 if it won't effect your rates isn't worth it to me, but then again guess boils down to principle. I only fought mine cause I was in school at the time and knew I would have the time without losing any pay etc.
justice of the peace... havea talk with him/her and just tell him how it is. You have had this for years and no problem. The officer must have been bored or what not. 9 times out of 10 the JP will let you off or atleast reduce it especially if you hav a clean record.

As far as I know there is no legal limit, no real way of testing tints everything is very subjective as others have said. A buddy and I got the exact same tint on the same colour car at the same shop at the same time. He's been pulled over more than once for the tints and I never have. The only difference besides the cars is that he's darker skined than me :). He had a bone stock 89 prelude and I had a 90 Audi that was modified.

Justice of the peace is your best free bet. Good luck
TAKE THE FRONT TINTS OFF, take a picture of your car with the tints off and take it to the court. Most likely they will drop the charges knowing the tints are off.

Next time you get pulled over make sure you turn the interior light are on the second the cop pulls you over.

The ticket could be giving for judgement call. Law says the officer has to be able to see your face and hands in the dark. So if you are a black guy and wearing a black shirt and have tints on, you are SOL. so make sure tints are off and interior lights are on.
BTW this is from Peel Police officers mouth.
In MB the tint laws are 50% fronts and 35% behind the front doors. I have heard of certain manufactuers factory glass tint + aftermarket film (done to legal limits) failing the light test because of the slight tint from the factory. A local shop was redoing a lot of VW's because of this.
OAC_Sparky,Mar 5 2006, 04:02 PM Wrote:
microbunny,Mar 5 2006, 02:33 PM Wrote:I work at a tint shop and 35% on the front 2 and 20%on the rest is 100% street-legal in the province of Ontario. Call Pointts, and take this to court...you'll get off, cause if you don't then alot of other people shoule be expecting tickets too!

Fight it man..
[right][snapback]173437[/snapback][/right]
The problem is that POINTTS isn't free. It'll cost you more than fighting the ticket.

It would be better if you could produce a receipt or something from a tint shop and defend yourself in court.
[right][snapback]173443[/snapback][/right]

Bad idea don't go with "POINTS" fight the ticket yourself.
Somebody mentioned about taking a picture of your car with the tints off Photochop it with no tints on the car LOL

I will find out more on your ticket 2morrow I have a cop friend very cool guy.

What region was the officer from?
Blackzx3,Mar 5 2006, 06:25 PM Wrote:  In the end though I don't know how a ticket like that effects your record or insurance. [right][snapback]173451[/snapback][/right]

Your insurance could be cancelled because this is a "modification" to the car and if you didn't tell them about it, well you know the rest.
I have 20% all around, and have not once been hassled by any cops, including the MP's here in Pet. I even have very bright lights (was flashed once by an MP, and I strobed him back and he got the hint...lol), a louder than stock exhaust, and usually don't drive the speed limit...again, no hassles.

The shop that did my tint showed my in writing before installing it that it is legal because of some stipulations. Also, if you paid taxes on the purchase and installation of the tint, and it was done so by a law-obieding, licensed shop, then that makes it legal in my mind.

I say fight it, and they should let you off...
I should make it clear I was pulled over at 9:30 am on sat, as I had just drop my brother off at his place, and was returning home myself when I got pulled over. The Sun Shade was open, letting in sunlight into the interior, as I love natural light in the car, all the time. Plus the cop could see me the whole time he was standing there at my door, before I put the window down.

My Insurance Company, and anyone that I talked to before said tinted windows are perfectly fine with them so long as it's done by a tint place or dealership. and it was Peel Region that I got pulled over in.

Funny thing is I talked to Some O.P.P. officers that came in to my work today and they looked over my car and said that it was perfectly fine with them, and the one even commented that it's the same tint they use on their unmarked units.

Still I'm going to try to talk to someone before I " claim " my right to a trial before I do anything maybe talk to the JOP, and see what he / she says.
Peel cops are :censored2: and your front window tint is fine he was just a bastard.

If you have proof that your front window tint is 35% bring it with you and talk to the JOP and you will be fine.

35% window tint is legal in Peel region.

Tiketz,Mar 7 2006, 12:18 AM Wrote:Peel cops are  :censored2: and your front window tint is fine he was just a bastard.

If you have proof that your front window tint is 35% bring it with you and talk to the JOP and you will be fine.

[right][snapback]173651[/snapback][/right]

Cool thanks man! that's all I needed to know :D
Frost__2001,Mar 7 2006, 01:00 AM Wrote:
Tiketz,Mar 7 2006, 12:18 AM Wrote:Peel cops are  :censored2: and your front window tint is fine he was just a bastard.

[right][snapback]173651[/snapback][/right]

Cool thanks man! that's all I needed to know :D
[right][snapback]173663[/snapback][/right]

you don't even need the proof, i fought the same ticket before i have 20% all around anf 5% sun stripe

Highway traffic act clearly says:

74. (1)No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,

(a)unless the windshield and the windows on either side of the compartment containing the steering wheel are in such a condition as to afford the driver a clear view to the front and side of the motor vehicle; and

(b)unless the rear window is in such a condition as to afford the driver a clear view to the rear of the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 74 (1).

Application of cl. (1)
(2)Clause (1)does not apply to a motor vehicle that is equipped with a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the motor vehicle and placed in such a position and maintained in such a condition as to afford the driver, otherwise than through the rear window, a clearly-reflected view of the roadway in the rear or of any vehicle approaching from the rear. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 74 (2).

there is no word about percentage... so cops can't do fawk all!

All I said in court was: your honour here is the copy of highway traffc act, my interpritation is that i can drive the car if i can clearly see my mirrors, front, rear and sides of the vehicle. I can see all that. What is your interpritation of that? Result...

Case dismissed :D

here is the Highway Traffic Act
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statute...ish/90h08_e.htm

good luck with the fight

Pages: 1 2 3