FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New House Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well I've been a home owner for 48 hours now and I've never been so tired in my life!

The list of urgent things that we have to get is now onto its 2nd page, I've been to Wal-Mart and Home Depot more times in the past two days than I did in the past two months!

It's ridiculous, crazy, exciting, stressful and tons of fun all at the same time.

Yesterday we had Leons delivery our new bedroom set and king mattress, it was so funny watching those guys try to get it up stairs, in the end they had to call a 2nd crew to come and help.

I shoveled my own driveway this afternoon YEAH!!!

If any of you guys are home audio geeks I've got some questions for you about how to setup my room.

More later I'm so tired now I only got about 2 hours sleep last night.
Just be thankful that after you moved in you did NOT have to:

-call 1-800-GOT-JUNK
-reshingle a roof
-upgrade a majority of wiring from knob & tube
-upgrade to 100A service

In 1999 I was only the second owner of my house since when it was built in 1936 and boy could you tell. :lol:

Here's me the swinging bachelor and I still have have pink fictures in my bathroom. :rolleyes:
Nice.

It certainly is a whirlwind of activity to say the least.

I love home ownership.... If you really think of it though, your maintaining the bank's house. :lol:
ANTHONYD,Mar 3 2006, 08:45 AM Wrote:Nice.

It certainly is a whirlwind of activity to say the least.

I love home ownership.... If you really think of it though, your maintaining the bank's house. :lol:
[right][snapback]173182[/snapback][/right]

at least he's not maintaining the landlord's house.

Simon, let me know if you need help with any audio/home theatre setup...
Yeah, those first few days are insane, lemme tell ya. Even though I was lucky enough to have a month lead time to move in from my old place, moving day and the week or so afterwards was just so exciting/stressful/crazy, that I told myself I'm not moving ever again, barring marriage or death :P

NefCanuck
Its def a lot of high's and low's. I can vouch for that!!
With all of us moving, we should have a group buy for appliances
meford4u,Mar 3 2006, 02:04 PM Wrote:With all of us moving, we should have a group buy for appliances
[right][snapback]173247[/snapback][/right]

I'm in. Not kidding either. Wherever I can save a few hundred $$ is fine with me.
Flofocus,Mar 3 2006, 01:08 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Mar 3 2006, 02:04 PM Wrote:With all of us moving, we should have a group buy for appliances

I'm in. Not kidding either. Wherever I can save a few hundred $$ is fine with me.
[right][snapback]173249[/snapback][/right]

I am still at the hunting around stage, but I have my sister buying a new house and a good friend.
That is easily close to $30k in appliances with myself and my friend spending $10k easy and a minimum of close to $5k depending on how cheap and what you wanted. I know I can already get 5 appliances locally that are decent for $3200.
meford4u,Mar 3 2006, 01:04 PM Wrote:With all of us moving, we should have a group buy for appliances
Go to Goeman's. If you're buying a load you can get a good deal. I saved about $2G on $12G of appliances, plus got a bonus free dinner for 8 at Mother Tucker's.
OMG I'm stressed out of my mind right now. Between moving and work I haven't slept but a few hours in the last week. I actually had to leave my GF's parents house tonight because they kept on bugging me. Normally I can take it but today I just wanted to yell at the top of my lungs F**K off can't you people see i'm not in the mood!!!

I've been up since 2am I got maybe 90mins sleep worked until 7am took a load of things to the house, came back had a meeting took another load of things, came back work for 3 hours, took another load of things, went to get our blue,gray and green boxes, work for 2 more hours then my Dad helped me move some furniture. All I wanted to do tonight was do a bit of shopping like we had planned then come home and get maybe 5 or 6 more hours work done. I got to her house and I'm told by her sister shopping is canceled you got overruled.

I guarantee that I'm going to be made to pay for my "attitude" tonight. :(
best choice we ever made was hiring movers. 300% less stressful.
FociPhil,Mar 6 2006, 08:02 PM Wrote:best choice we ever made was hiring movers. 300% less stressful.
[right][snapback]173619[/snapback][/right]
I hear that. You never realize how much crap you have until you move.... :blink:
Congrats on the new house. B)

I just bought a new house in July and am still working on it. Added ceramic tile in baths. Hardwood floors in living room. Painted entire house inside. Now I am in the kitchen. I tore out all the floor, outside door, cabinets, appliances, and lights. Installed new door, cabinets, and just had corian countertops installed. Still have marble floors, paint and appliances to do. Replaced garage door. Still have more to do to setup the shop in the garage. At least this house is only 12 years old. My last house was over 50 years old and was stripped to bare studs and rebuilt from there.

Your 2 page list will never be finished. You will just keep adding things to it. But in the end it is all worth it.

Hang in there. It does get better. When you get you stuff moved in and get a few minutes to relax and enjoy the new house you will be happy you did it.

I am in on the group buy. Good appliances arn't cheap. B)