FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Lemon Focus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am so unhappy with my focus... this is unbeleavable :( i've got an '05 zx4 ses with atx, 60k on it, yes, i drive a lot :) all the things that are going wring with the car are driving me insane! Both front wheel bearings, cv shafts-right one was replaced twice, sway links and sway bar bushings, sun roof when it goes in the up position - suppose to close with one touch of a button - well it doesn't, sqeaks and rattles - lets not even touch that. Rough idle - iac valve replaced the problem is back again, throttle body cleaned, induction service done. I am up to date on all my services and regular maintenance, always done at the dealer. Now, my final drive gear is making a whining noise - so i need a tranny :o wtf ? I just had transmission valve body replaced because i had rough shifts up/down 3rd gear, coil pack cracked-replaced... i just don't know was i lucky enough to buy a lemon? any of you guys have similar problems? Btw, most of the mileage is highway driving - commuting to school/work, i am not even hard on the car, anyways to make the long story short i am just pissed.
yeah, def sounds like you got yourself a lemon. I haven't heard much in regards to problems with the new foci's.

I have a 00 ZX3, was in the shop for 2 weeks the 1st week I bought it. Recalls had tobe done. :rolleyes:

But honestly, that was about it for problems, other than my darn ignition tumblar. <_<
I've got an 01 ZX3, my second one, ditto for me first week I had it I had all sorts of issues and then its been a good car since then.

Did you buy it from Ford or a small corner dealer? I thought there were lemon laws that protected us from this?
hardk0re,Mar 2 2006, 11:00 AM Wrote:I've got an 01 ZX3, my second one, ditto for me first week I had it I had all sorts of issues and then its been a good car since then.

Did you buy it from Ford or a small corner dealer?  I thought there were lemon laws that protected us from this?
[right][snapback]173001[/snapback][/right]
bought it from the dealer, the car had 13000km on it - was a demo. Not sure about the lemon laws. what are they about anyhow?
Quote:The Bill provides remedies to a consumer who enters into an agreement to purchase a motor vehicle on or after the Bill comes into force if a substantial deficiency arises in the motor vehicle that is covered by a manufacturer's warranty and the manufacturer has, on three previous occasions, attempted to remedy the deficiency. A deficiency is considered substantial only if it constitutes a substantial impairment to the use, value or safety of the motor vehicle.

The consumer has the option to require the manufacturer to repurchase the motor vehicle or, at no cost to the consumer, to provide the consumer with a replacement for the motor vehicle and to transfer to the consumer clear title to the replacement. If the consumer requires the manufacturer to repurchase the motor vehicle, the repurchase price is the price that the consumer paid for it, less a reasonable allowance for depreciation in the value of the vehicle from the time of purchase to the time that the consumer first gave notice to the manufacturer of the deficiency.

Guess its only applicable to the same issue thats not being resolved.
Ya the lemon law only applies to the same problem occuring repeatedly. And even if you can claim its a lemon, its alot of work to go through the process. My ex-GF parents went through it with GM and it took them months to finally get the issue resolved. Just FYI.
zx4_ses,Mar 2 2006, 10:41 AM Wrote:I am so unhappy with my focus... this is unbeleavable  [right][snapback]172998[/snapback][/right]

It does sound like you have an unusually high incidence of problems - probably an "early build" vehicle.

Except for the 2000 Focus ... all the others I've had (6 in total) have been pretty good cars and the 2004 the best (if you don't count the missing rear seat heat duct) - a couple of minor recalls, no failures whatsoever and except for tinny sounding doors, it's actually squeek and rattle free.

If you own the car (not leased) then you should seriously consider a Ford extended warranty - you may still be eligible if you're not too far over the 60k mark.

The unfortunate truth is that with Ford only the squeeky wheel gets the lube, and even then they make you work hard for it ... so if you really want someone to do something about it, you have to start making a lot of noise - diplomatic is good, but "loud" and constant is essential -- and start with the dealer.

Send a strongly worded letter to Seana Chadwick at Ford in Oakville -- she's the Director of Customer Satisfaction.

If you financed it ... send a letter to the finance company or bank - and if it's Ford Credit, even better.

Send a letter or email to the Ministry of Consumer and Business Services ... but they will probably refer you to CAMVAP

So, consider a CAMVAP action ... check out The Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan

And send a letter to the Automobile Protection Agency (APA)

If you'd rather not fight the fight, consider your options to dispose of the vehicle.

For example, you should also see about getting the dealer who sold it to you to give you a favourable value as a trade in for another car -- if he thinks he risks losing a good customer and if he thinks that you might make trouble for him -- he just might do it.

Just my .02 and some thought starters. Good luck.

03 zx3 here and have yet any problems.
i'm not touching this thread....

I 've been there man.
[Image: IMG_604.jpg]
I've only had to replace the EGR tube from the exhaust to the EGR valve (that tube is 149 bucks)
ANTHONYD,Mar 2 2006, 12:49 PM Wrote:i'm not touching this thread....

I 've been there man.
[right][snapback]173037[/snapback][/right]

How cute they draped his coffin in Work Orders.

I think the sunroof may be like that on purpose. There is a new law (or recomendation) that one stop closures be banned unless they have an automatic stop in case someones hand (or a kids head in the case of power windows) gets stuck.
i you have the one touch sunroof and it won't close with one press, it may be stuck in "alignment mode" (if they have that feature -- best to check your owner's manual).

for example, my 2002 zx5 has the moonroof, and it's one touch close, open, and vent. But if you press the button in a certain interval, it will go into alignment mode.

In that mode, you are able to manually set the fully open and fully closed position of the sunroof, and then put it back into 'normal' mode.

Only thing is that it's possible to accidentally put it into alignment mode... I did it with the ZTW wagon the dealership lent me... couldn't figure out why the sunroof suddenly stopped working, but I apparently hit the open/close button in the wrong sequence.

anyhoo..just a thought.
zx4_ses,Mar 2 2006, 09:41 AM Wrote:I am so unhappy with my focus... this is unbeleavable  :(  i've got an '05 zx4 ses with atx, 60k on it, yes, i drive a lot :)  all the things that are going wring with the car are driving me insane! Both front wheel bearings, cv shafts-right one was replaced twice, sway links and sway bar bushings, sun roof when it goes in the up position - suppose to close with one touch of a button - well it doesn't, sqeaks and rattles - lets not even touch that. Rough idle - iac valve replaced the problem is back again, throttle body cleaned, induction service done. I am up to date on all my services and regular maintenance, always done at the dealer. Now, my final drive gear is making a whining noise - so i need a tranny :o  wtf ? I just had transmission valve body replaced because i had rough shifts up/down 3rd gear, coil pack cracked-replaced... i just don't know was i lucky enough to buy a lemon? any of you guys have similar problems? Btw, most of the mileage is highway driving - commuting to school/work, i am not even hard on the car, anyways to make the long story short i am just pissed.
[right][snapback]172998[/snapback][/right]

Wow, guess I should count my blessings that so far I've only had my '05 in for the fuel guage sender unit (They replaced the pump as well on their own initative)

Never had an issue with the sunroof yet, but I'll keep an eye on it (I'm more of an A/C man myself though :P )

The idle? Did they feed you the TSB about the cold idle being craptastic because the car is designed to heat up the catalytic converter first at all costs? No fix is in the works for ATX cars like ours apparently (Though the MTX '05 Focus did get an engine computer reprogramming)

Mostly highway eh? That should be actually easier on the car than what I do (majority city, short trip, its only the weekends that I can really give the car a good workout)

Hrm, I'd keep on them about the repairs and such. Yes, try to get the extended warranty, 'cause it sounds like you're gonna need it <_<

NefCanuck
ANTHONYD,Mar 2 2006, 05:49 PM Wrote:i'm not touching this thread....

I 've been there man.

I wonder if there is a link between cleaning your car too much and all the problems you had? :ph34r:

Guess its only applicable to the same issue thats not being resolved.
[right][snapback]173006[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

thanks for the info
ZTWsquared,Mar 2 2006, 12:40 PM Wrote:It does sound like you have an unusually high incidence of problems - probably an "early build" vehicle.

[right][snapback]173020[/snapback][/right]

most likely :( i hear a lot of 2000 were having tons of issues with them, premature brake wear, for example
NefCanuck,Mar 2 2006, 05:17 PM Wrote:Wow, guess I should count my blessings that so far I've only had my '05 in for the fuel guage sender unit (They replaced the pump as well on their own initative)

Never had an issue with the sunroof yet, but I'll keep an eye on it (I'm more of an A/C man myself though :P )

The idle?  Did they feed you the TSB about the cold idle being craptastic because the car is designed to heat up the catalytic converter first at all costs?  No fix is in the works for ATX cars like ours apparently (Though the MTX '05 Focus did get an engine computer reprogramming)

Mostly highway eh?  That should be actually easier on the car than what I do (majority city, short trip, its only the weekends that I can really give the car a good workout)

Hrm, I'd keep on them about the repairs and such.  Yes, try to get the extended warranty, 'cause it sounds like you're gonna need it <_< 

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]173075[/snapback][/right]
they did feed me the TSB, my opinion? BS coming to a traffic light after good 30 km on a highway, and some city driving and you car feels like a diesel? warm up catalytic my A**

As far as the ESP goes... i wish i had the money for it. School is taking most of it right now...

I 've been there man.

feel sorry for you brother, i guess we are in the same boat :)
darkpuppet,Mar 2 2006, 05:05 PM Wrote:i you have the one touch sunroof and it won't close with one press, it may be stuck in "alignment mode" (if they have that feature -- best to check your owner's manual).

for example, my 2002 zx5 has the moonroof, and it's one touch close, open, and vent.  But if you press the button in a certain interval, it will go into alignment mode.

In that mode, you are able to manually set the fully open and fully closed position of the sunroof, and then put it back into 'normal' mode.

Only thing is that it's possible to accidentally put it into alignment mode... I did it with the ZTW wagon the dealership lent me... couldn't figure out why the sunroof suddenly stopped working, but I apparently hit the open/close button in the wrong sequence.

anyhoo..just a thought.
[right][snapback]173074[/snapback][/right]

i am not completely sure, it was one touch when i bought the car, it does work as a one touch once in a blue moon, most often it doesn't. :)

Anyways, since i am really close to 60k 59869 or smth like that i've decided to drop it off at the dealer and get the bloody thing fixed. Described the problem - would close as a 1 touch, etc. They've called me 4 hours later saying they cannot duplicate the problem, wtf? Asked the advisor if the car is in the shop ,because usually it is acting up on warm days - she said yes. So in their words the cars has warmed up. I leave my house get to the dealership - its seating right where i left it, didn' t even move!!! They are trying to tell me to take it back , the work order will be open for a little while, so if it acts up - drive by and let us see it. My actions? Hopped in, the pulled it right in front of the service dept. called she shop foreman and showed him my problem. He was really nice about everytning, said that he has never seen anything like it before and that was it! why cant ford do things the easy way? :angry:

I 've been there man.

Just a question, how many of those work orders are for little things, like a service package or a filter or something?

Pages: 1 2