FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Sony Digital Cameras
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i'm looking into buying a my gf a sony dsc-t5 or t7 digital camera for her bday, but was first wondering if anyone her has one or knows someone that has one and could comment on this camera? good? bad?
I have a Sony DSC-P10.
I love it, now I did not pay for mine though. We got them as bonuses one year at work. I don't even know how much it was, I'm told retail on them was $600 at that time.
There is no lag in taking pics, the features are abundant. Great battery life. Aluminum body. It even got dropped once!
I was told the good Sony models are the Made in Japan ones.
2 other folks I know actually paid for their Sony cams and love them.

Hope this helps.
My Mom has a Sony DSC-F505, great camera, great pictures (only 2.1 MP)... but I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE those MemorySticks or whatever... they're retardedly expensive (or were) in comparison to CF and others.

I'd get a Canon myself (for a P&S camera anyway).
Meh... i'm not a fan of Sony's... but they do make good cameras. If I were you, I'd steer clear of any camera with a small lens, that's your first warning. A smaller lens usually makes for a harder time to take much nicer photos.

Also, as said above, the memory stick is not popular with many people, especially if you only use the memory stick cards for your camera.

All I buy is Canon. My parents got their first one, I used it so often and ended up getting my own, and just last year my father bought a smaller Canon for my mother's birthday. So three Canon's (Power Shot A40, A70, A410)

They're super easy to operate, and if you look good enough, their mid-entry and entry models are packed with enough features to get your photography off to an amazing start.

At FutureCrap, they have an amazing offer on the Canon PowerShot A610, a 5.0MP cam with a swivel screen for only $400. Considering the price of the Sony's you posted, this Canon is by far a better deal, and will outperform/outlast them.

Just my two cents, from a Canon fanboy. :)
For the amount she wil use it, get whatever your budget can afford.

She's not going to expect to be getting a camera that would make her a professional, just one to have fun with.

When i bought Pat her first camera is was a Canon Rebel, bottom of the line no frills and she learned everything from that camera.

You might want to even investigate used as there are tonnes of used cameras that are really good for sale in shops in downtown To (camera shops like Vistek, Henry's etc)
meford4u,Mar 1 2006, 10:27 PM Wrote:For the amount she wil use it, get whatever your budget can afford.

She's not going to expect to be getting a camera that would make her a professional, just one to have fun with.

When i bought Pat her first camera is was a Canon Rebel, bottom of the line no frills and she learned everything from that camera.

You might want to even investigate used as there are tonnes of used cameras that are really good for sale in shops in downtown To  (camera shops like Vistek, Henry's etc)
[right][snapback]172937[/snapback][/right]

A Rebel as a starter cam? Wow meford... your wife's one lucky lady! Well... she does have a photography biz though... :lol: so that sort of makes sense. Sort of... :lol:
euro_zx5,Mar 1 2006, 10:33 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Mar 1 2006, 10:27 PM Wrote:For the amount she wil use it, get whatever your budget can afford.

You might want to even investigate used as there are tonnes of used cameras that are really good for sale in shops in downtown To  (camera shops like Vistek, Henry's etc)
[right][snapback]172937[/snapback][/right]

A Rebel as a starter cam? Wow meford... your wife's one lucky lady! Well... she does have a photography biz though... :lol: so that sort of makes sense. Sort of... :lol:
[right][snapback]172942[/snapback][/right]

I bought the rebel, not a digital 15 years ago, 2 lenses (35-70 and a 50-200 I think) a bag and a tripod for $500. And this was what Vistek called new/used equipment. The equipment was purchased through insurance, but the owner wanted cash so Vistek bought it back at 50% of the original price and then resold it to us at 75-80% retail. The bigger lens was however used.
And she still uses that camera on occasion. It still is in great shape. Has held up better than one of her professioal cameras and lens. But I am not complaining about Canon
And she wasn't in the business until 3 years afterward.

But back on track here.

If you buy her a camera, expect marriage.

Trust me.

I know
My mom has the DSC-W7. It seems to be a pretty good camera, like everyone says the memory sticks are a little bit of a pain, but I think sony makes a pretty good camera.
A rebel of any kind is not something I'd choose to give anyone with no knowledge of cameras at all. Lots to learn, generally too overwhelming.

As mentioned above about lenses. That DSC-F505 I mentioned, only takes good pictures cuz of it's lens. It's got a huuge lens (for a P&S camera).

Link to it. It's from 1999. Old by digital camera standards. So is my DSLR, it's an '02.
I've got a 3.2 with some movie capability MPEG and I've used it on several holidays, etc. There's a ton of options to set on it, most I have no clue what they do so it's got alot of features. I think I paid around $200 for it a year ago, then a couple memory cards extra. I'd buy another one for sure.
I've got a Canon A40 - excellent camera, no problems. Canon makes excellent dependable cameras - you can't go wrong !!