FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Bulb Myths
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bu...superwhite.html

maybe just one crack pot but it'd be interesting to see the weight of his arguments.
Nice find... he's got some good points.

Good enough for me at least, I've been eyeing Piaa's for some time now... :lol: But I don't wanna shell out the cash for replacements as the stock ones won't die for a long time.
euro_zx5,Feb 22 2006, 11:19 PM Wrote:Nice find... he's got some good points.

Good enough for me at least, I've been eyeing Piaa's for some time now... :lol: But I don't wanna shell out the cash for replacements as the stock ones won't die for a long time.
[right][snapback]171822[/snapback][/right]
As was I, and according to him PIAA's are no better than stock he says they are worse. Shorter lifespan, less useable light. Might make me reconsider "upgrading" my headlights. I will prolly still change the turn signal bulbs tho.
Phantom,Feb 23 2006, 12:21 AM Wrote:
euro_zx5,Feb 22 2006, 11:19 PM Wrote:Nice find... he's got some good points.

[right][snapback]171822[/snapback][/right]
As was I, and according to him PIAA's are no better than stock he says they are worse. Shorter lifespan, less useable light. Might make me reconsider "upgrading" my headlights. I will prolly still change the turn signal bulbs tho.
[right][snapback]171823[/snapback][/right]

That's exactly what I was planning...

*turns to TV and sees the Focus being dissed on the V-Dub commercial... bastards!!!!*

Anyways... I hate that commercial now. :lol: I'm planning on just changing to blacked out side markers, and/or add a tint to the headlights. I have seen worse headlights, being in Cavaliers and the such... *shudders* If I get the cash down the road, i'll get a HID conversion kit.
Phantom,Feb 23 2006, 01:12 AM Wrote:http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bu...superwhite.html

maybe just one crack pot but it'd be interesting to see the weight of his arguments.
[right][snapback]171821[/snapback][/right]
The guy's not a crackpot. Did you read (or try to read) his presentation to the U.S. government? He seems to have the science to back up his theories.

Also ... CTV news the other day did a test of automotive light bulbs and basically came to the same conclusion.
Click on Consumer Alert and scroll down to the video
Not sayin he is a crackpot. Just seems to be saying different from wat everyone else says. I'm tending to believe wat he is saying as it does make sense.
Exactly... we've been "blinded" by society's needless crap in our faces. You gotta have this, you gotta have that!

When my bulbs die, i'll replace them with expensive Piaa's, until then... i'm fine with stockers.

That link with the video even referred to HID's sometimes being not all they're cut out to be... ah well, more money in my pocket.
ZTWsquared,Feb 23 2006, 10:29 AM Wrote:
Phantom,Feb 23 2006, 01:12 AM Wrote:http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bu...superwhite.html

The guy's not a crackpot. Did you read (or try to read) his presentation to the U.S. government? He seems to have the science to back up his theories.

Also ... CTV news the other day did a test of automotive light bulbs and basically came to the same conclusion.
[right][snapback]171842[/snapback][/right]

i saw that CTV news story too the other day. trust me, its absolutely correct... most bulbs dont do didly squat..
paolo,Feb 23 2006, 12:40 PM Wrote:
ZTWsquared,Feb 23 2006, 10:29 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]171842[/snapback][/right]

i saw that CTV news story too the other day. trust me, its absolutely correct... most bulbs dont do didly squat..
[right][snapback]171862[/snapback][/right]

Well other then give you that blue or purple effect most people want to make some sort of statement or another.
So Silverstars do nothing? I have a hard time believing that.

The higher wattage from lower wattage is BS, but it's "easier" on the eyes than the dimmer yellow of stocker bulbs. Even the Eurolite H4s I have are noticeably easier on the eyes than stockers.

Maybe not "brighter", but driving at night for extended periods of time yields less fatigue.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 23 2006, 12:56 PM Wrote:So Silverstars do nothing? I have a hard time believing that.

The higher wattage from lower wattage is BS, but it's "easier" on the eyes than the dimmer yellow of stocker bulbs. Even the Eurolite H4s I have are noticeably easier on the eyes than stockers.

Maybe not "brighter", but driving at night for extended periods of time yields less fatigue.
[right][snapback]171906[/snapback][/right]
No that's not the lights fault, that's the result of you getting old. Now get over it. :D
I have always preffered the light I get from Silverstars over stockers... they are kinda like the GE "reveal" lightbulbs for in the house...seem to be more white in colour overall than the stock ones. Also, when I switched from the NA to the E-spec ST170's, there was an obvious difference in the amount of light, especially on the lowbeams. Maybe between bulbs of the same size/type/wattage there is no benifit to change them, but when you switch from a 9003 to H7 and H1 bulbs, there IS a difference. Besides, I think it looks wimpy when I see a plain jane sedan SE spi focus with hubcaps and the stock lightbulbs...they DO look amber and old fashioned.

It's funny though, with the ST170's I have a lot of people flash their brights at me all the time...they think mine are on until I slam the H1's on...and yes before you say anything about this, I had the headlights aimed on a headlamp aimer at a blue oval certified lincoln dealership. I think the cutoff angles are a lot different on the euro lights...could it be that they are more concerned with NOT outrunning their headlights than whatever is on the road directly in front of the car? I preffer having light further out from the car so that I don't outrun them in the boonies that is highway 60, when not going at a legal speed limit...lol
HIDS :D

pick them up at Oznium for $250 US a kit ;)
ZX3TUNR,Feb 23 2006, 10:34 PM Wrote:HIDS  :D

pick them up at Oznium for $250 US a kit ;)
[right][snapback]172024[/snapback][/right]
Point me to a place with 2005 headlights there Jay, Cept I want Hella. And at Oznium they just sell the conversion stuff. Here's info on that
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bu...onversions.html
and he says don't do it.
I bought a full set of Silverstars for my projectors last year. The lows burned out and I replaced them with $3 hella bulbs I found in the surplus section or princess auto. The light is much yellower than the white silvertars, but I can see alot more of the road and the light isn't as harsh. I went back and bought the rest of the bulbs. Even if I burn out one a year, at $24 I'll have 4 years worth of replacements.

Quote:Drivesthebeast

I think the cutoff angles are a lot different on the euro lights...could it be that they are more concerned with NOT outrunning their headlights than whatever is on the road directly in front of the car?

Most euro roads are two way traffic, the lights have shields in them so that the light forms a distict cutoff

___/----___/----

They are like this as not to blind oncoming traffic.

I bought the ebay dual halos last year, and after getting them home quickly realised they were aimed almost right straight down. After taking the car into the shop and having them set right, I have fixed the problem the lights are always taking heat for. I now project the pattern above a foot and a half up a wall at 25 feet. The highs are quite good out of the box so I didn't touch them. Right now though, I also get flashed by more vehicles than usual, mostly semi trucks or larger high up pickup trucks ??? I think it's not due to glare as I've seen my own car pass by on the highway, but rather that the projector itself is much brighter than the large area the stockers cover which tricks some driver's minds into thinking you have your brights on. The lamps use H3 bulbs much like the ST170s, as well they use H1 high beams. All I have to do is tap the switch for a second and I think they see the light ;)

I think that coloured bulbs do make a difference.... for they change the colour of what you view.... changing your visual input which make it for various people easier to see at night.... kind of like using a a bodyshop different bulb (ie "daylight") to give a more true type of light rather than a typical yellowed flourescant
I agree with you on that. Right now my low beams are yellow-ish in color, I see more of the area around the car. Yes the beam pattern is identical to the pattern with silverstars, but the white light was harsh to me and my eyes would get tired on a trip. My highs are still white, which seems to illuminates the lines on the road better, or at least make them stand out more.

Think of ski goggles, many have a yellow tint to them which makes everything appear sharper and more radiant which helps you spot contrast in the snow. Small bumps and dips are more easily spotted when they have become colored.
Phantom,Feb 23 2006, 12:12 AM Wrote:http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bu...superwhite.html

The guy wants you to purchase lights from him. Good luck.