FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: One Ring To Rule Them All........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Nice!!! if i can find one at a dealer i might have to make a trip out there shortly. Selling my car privatley is too much hassle
Check it often then.....when I work out of the Montreal office, I swear every 3rd car is a WRX. :blink: :lol:
:lol:

All thats left now is learning to negotiate in french... :ph34r:
Bring beer and cigarettes. Your set.
euro_zx5,Feb 23 2006, 11:25 AM Wrote:I really don't like subbies much... for many reasons, mainly being way overpriced...

I know enough people have said it but: "compared to what". Have you priced a similarly equipped Audi?

It's nice to think people percieve my car as overpriced, I'm laughing all teh way to teh bank in that case.

As P-51 one said a base one is an absolute steel for what you get and a perfect example of how the more expensive ones stand is that when the automible journalist association compared sport sedans they put a regular WRX (non-STi) up against cars between $15,000 to $25,000 more BEFORE TAX. The results speak volumes:

http://www.ajac.ca/english/ccoty/2006/vote...edan.asp?lang=1

For the price of a 3 series have a WRX and a Focus, oh wait that has been done.
2001 ZTS,Feb 23 2006, 01:01 PM Wrote:
euro_zx5,Feb 23 2006, 11:25 AM Wrote:I really don't like subbies much... for many reasons, mainly being way overpriced...

For the price of a 3 series have a WRX and a Focus, oh wait that has been done.
[right][snapback]171893[/snapback][/right]

a blinged out focus at that :lol:
I have to concurr on the value of a Subie. I am activily seeking an '04 Audi S4, I have currently had four of them out on test drives and I must tell you this machine is far better than "people in the know" understand. Like P51 (Rob) I dont just consider myself a good driver I know I am , and more importantly with similar mechanical prowess as P51 , albiet generated from different learning curves I know a capable piece of machinary when I drive it.
Having said that the only reason I dont buy an STI , and I mean the only reason is that at this time in my life I want a level of refinement with a 340 hp rocket that the STI does not offer. The STI will very likely out perform marginally the '04 S4 in most if not all catagories except for overall level of finish which I am sad to say (being a huge Subie fan) does not hold a candle. For example a very good example of an '04 S4 will sell in the mid 50k area, an excellent example of the STI can be had for up to 20k less.....all things considered that is amazing value.

There is some argument about the quattro drive system being better than that of an STI (the name they give it illudes me at the moment) I have not fully got my head around some of the tech here so I will only comment to the extent that both of these systems clearly represent excellent engineering implimented in such a way that maintenece and overal longivity of the product are incredible on both designs.The rest of the commentary in this respect may be a moot point unless you are an all out track fanatic and are a capable enough driver to even take and exploit these systems to the edge .....

Now, just for giggles , here are a few of the things that as a driver , and having driven both of these vehicles, I find "different" between the two cars. Remember the Suaru is 15-20k less money.
- the driver position in the S4 is the very best in any car I have ever driven, the
STI does not fail here by any comparison, but is not as good.
-pedal position , weight of pedals when applied , position of your feet when your
driving "street aggressive" (read as , as fast as a test drive permits)is better in
S4.....but not by much.
-the lenear quality of the power in the S4 is intoxicating if not falsely confidence
inspiring, you have to be carfull because this car wants to go and before you actually know it is your try to scrub off speed to get through a twisty....the power of the STI is just plain thrilling ....period
-the chasis of the STI "feels" stiffer but that could just be the weight, seat time would tell the truth here.
-with tighter sway bars I believe the S4 would by a long shot be a better , more well behaved all around sport sedan...but will never "handle" as good as an STI
-The interior of the S4 rocks....the interior of the Sti almost rocks...
-both cars a very safe in all considerations fo such
-the S4 has a wolf in sheeps clothing apealls to me....evan when you change the exhaust and open it up it still has a refinement not offered in the STI, or many other cars for that matter.
-both feel torquey, more so in the S4 (read as the car with the V8)

Icould go on but the general point is that despite the fact that I prefer the S4, it in no way equates to any kind of value when compared to an STI....not even close. great car for a great price...
I've got a buddy with a STi here in North Bay, and another one drives by the house regularly. What a car.

For bang/buck, I'd go WRX. If pure budget was a concern, RS sedan with upgrades. It's the only car competing with the Focus right now in my mind.

The S4 is one hell of a car, but as noted above... 20K more at times than the STi. I can't justify that as the STi isn't cheap either. I'm all about the value, because every car ever made (except for known "classics" and collectors' items) are worthless when they're done.
What's even more amazing, is that same interior in the STI which is "almost as good" as the S4, is available in the RS for almost half the price.

It's just ABSOLUTELY BLOWS AWAY every other optioned up compact car selling for the same price. I think the only car that comes close, would be the Fusion. A Focus ST, or optioned Vibe, or Malibu, almost anything else is in a completely different universe, really.

The only "affordable" compact car that is better is the VW's, but then they're even more expensive, and don't have the AWD.

As for the S4 AWD system being better... the only thing I could think of is that the Audi's usually have Torsen diffs. These tend to be better on dry pavement, because they lock BEFORE the slip.

However, in slippery stuff, viscous diffs like Subbie uses are better. Torsens typically can only transfer a maximum of 3:1 torque. A viscous will transfer almost 100% once they really start to slip.
^^^^^^^

that is about the extent of my tech knowledge oon the awd as well ....so yea they are a different species really and hard to compare...

And I agree about the VW's prehaps if the golf wasn't so expense as a base than they might consider bringing the R32 here, which is a great car.

Dumb question here but is the Fusion really something that we would compare to say a WRX. In particular would it be as safe as the Subie.....which of coarse was the main topic here....
I know it's quite safe, compared to many cheap GM sedans. But I doubt it's quite as good as the Subbie. The Legacy is a gold star rated car, so is the Fivehundred.

Ford does weill with safety, no knocking that.

As for other comparisons... they're both family sedans, and could be considered "economical performance sedans". But yeah, a WRX is gonna blow away a Fusion.
no way they would ever bring the R32 to Canada. Especially Ontario. It comes no where close to passing emissions testing.

You can't even purchase or bring the car into several states in the US, including Cali.
^^^^^^

granted that is true ....but if there were a market, they would figure it out. It is simply to expensive a car to change to meet our requirements for such a limited number of sales.....sick little beast though, if i could I would buy one of those before going up to the Audi S4

edit;

just drop a friend off at her work and dude was there with a '04 STI, whenever I see this car I want one....just cant figure out what it is that stops me...
dad,Feb 24 2006, 02:22 PM Wrote:^^^^^^

granted that is true ....but if there were a market, they would figure it out. It is simply to expensive a car to change to meet our requirements for such a limited number of sales.....sick little beast though, if i could I would buy one of those before going up to the Audi S4
[right][snapback]172130[/snapback][/right]

When Aaron went to BC to buy his car, he was able to drive the R32 with a twin turbo conversion that he said was insane and way too much power for him to handle.
And then Marcel, the owner got in and drve the car and that was more fun than riding a hooker for the first time. Or atleast that's what I think he said :lol:
now....if Audi would bring the S3 over here it would be a very good comparison to the STI....that would be a car I would buy....which by the way is basically an R32
Pages: 1 2