FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Parkour Article In Toronto Sun
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a heads up for those of you that can get your hands on today's Toronto Sun (Feb 22/06).

On page ten Mike Strobel writes about Parkour and its beginnings and included in the article is a shot of Dan & some comments from him...

NefCanuck
some one scan and/or type it up, i wanna read this!!
FociPhil,Feb 22 2006, 11:34 AM Wrote:some one scan and/or type it up, i wanna read this!!
[right][snapback]171749[/snapback][/right]

Haha... Just move back to toronto so you can buy it yourself...

hahaha :lol:

PS. Sask sucks :lol: :) :lol:
fawkin lazies
:P
http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/...22/1455792.html

Quote:As a small band of city bike couriers looked on and judged the traceurs from the other side of the park, Iaboni said he knows there will be questions about selling out -- turning a wacky but free-spirited pastime over to ad agencies who live high up in the buildings traceurs race around.
[Image: columnist_burnett_thane.jpg]

Dan ^
nass,Feb 22 2006, 08:08 PM Wrote:[Image: columnist_burnett_thane.jpg]

Dan ^
[right][snapback]171786[/snapback][/right]

Not quite, Dan's not as ugly as that mug ;)

NefCanuck
This particular article/story about parkour & dan was also posted on the Rogers (RCI) Company-Wide Intranet, Industry news section, second heading down. I was reading some of it this morning when I got in to work, Way To Go Danno!!
Its a s***ty article.... he mocks us completely and used quotes to make a story go in the direction he wanted it to....

ugh... I should know this by now...

For instance my punk comment was taken 2000% out of context and he cut words all around it .. ha ha ... but thats the media for ya right
tdot-zx3,Feb 24 2006, 07: Wrote:Its a s***ty article.... he mocks us completely and used quotes to make a story go in the direction he wanted it to....

For instance my punk comment was taken 2000% out of context and he cut words all around it .. ha ha ... but thats the media for ya right
[right][snapback]172053[/snapback][/right]

I know your pain (maybe even worse than yours)... drop the hammer, and pretty much everything I said on Tuner Transformation was taken out of context...

context?! you want the context?! YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE CONTEXT!!!

I'm quite convinced that people in media are really very little people with over-inflated egos...

p.s. you should write an op-ed piece and mail it in. if not to get your own say, to at least let the paper know this guy is a chucklehead.
ehh dont worry bout the useless quote its still better than the "arm strengthening" comment from BT.
I hate most media types, but I've found (oddly enough) that some radio personalities can be the fairest out of all I've met. It's too bad that you got misrepresented like that tho Dan.

I agree with Steve, write a letter and mail it in. Tell them what he made out of the article definitely wasn't what you saw it being, and that you don't like being misquoted.
tdot-zx3,Feb 24 2006, 07: Wrote:Its a s***ty article.... he mocks us completely and used quotes to make a story go in the direction he wanted it to....

[right][snapback]172053[/snapback][/right]

As bad as the article is, it is exposure. Maybe you'll get people out to see you and by showing them what you do, hopefully you will change their view of parkour from whatever false impression The Sun's article may have left them with.

NefCanuck
neuf canuck nailed it right on the head,. there will always be good and bad publicity, in the case of bad or out of context quotations, dont think of it as bad, cus before it was even published, people never even knew about you nor parkour, now they do... its a step in the right direction to becoming a celebrity figure.
Ya .. its all good.

We were in 10+ publications accross the country this past 3 days doing the media tour so I had lots of time to do some better articles and correct that monstrousity.

BC was totally awsome... Im such a fan that I want to move there indefinetly in the future if I can find a way to do so. Coming back to Toronto was a huge bummer.
tdot-zx3,Feb 24 2006, 08: Wrote:Ya .. its all good.

We were in 10+ publications accross the country this past 3 days doing the media tour so I had lots of time to do some better articles and correct that monstrousity.

BC was totally awsome... Im such a fan that I want to move there indefinetly in the future if I can find a way to do so. Coming back to Toronto was a huge bummer.
[right][snapback]172169[/snapback][/right]

Well, you made it into the 24 (LIfestyle section). However, it was sourced from Canadian Press, and there was a picture (Steve LeBlanc, I believe).

tdot-zx3,Feb 24 2006, 07: Wrote:Ya .. its all good.

[right][snapback]172169[/snapback][/right]

here here...

It may not be as sunny (rains most the time), but can't deny the outdoors there.