FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Got A Question For Ya's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey My Buddy got a 01 sedan like I do... but he said that 00-03 is bad on tie rods. I personally haven't had any problems with mine since I got it in July and he has gone through three sets in 5 months. Has anyone else had an issue with them and if so is there any decent after market ones I can get.
Thanks All.
Whats he doing? running its car into every curb? No I haven't heard of these issues. It sounds like maybe theres a further mechanical issue which is causing the problem.....
I don't think there's any known issues with the tie rods... there is a known issue with front endlinks wearing out (I've had mine replaced once).

nothing major tho..
darkpuppet,Feb 19 2006, 11:36 AM Wrote:I don't think there's any known issues with the tie rods... there is a known issue with front endlinks wearing out (I've had mine replaced once).

nothing major tho..
[right][snapback]171309[/snapback][/right]

i've had the same problems, with my frontend links

but i have never had any problems with my tie-rods. I've had my 03 ZX3 since August of 2003 and never had a problem and i have 112600 kms on it!

mmm.. Well when i got my 01 se focus from SGI, i had to replace mine, since it had been in an accident, and it did have 150,000 so u gotta think i have some wear and tear on mine. Anyone else i've met that had a focus same year and such hasn't had that problem...maybe ur friend just dose to many e-brakes? or something? :unsure:
Well not everyone can drive a car or little lone a FORD, but he doesn't hit kirbs. The roads in North Bay ON suck the big one.... I would be afraid to drive a Bradley assalt tank on some of these roads. What issuse have you have with you heard of in the Focus'. I've only heard of the brake issue they had a couple of years back.
I'm in North Bay and blown a set of tie rods. Blame potholes. Just get a new set from Crappy Trash or Carquest.

Do you want to buy something? Not sure why this is here.

Moving to Focus talk yo!
Hey Oscar the Grouch. I'm from North Bay too.... What colour is your Focus? I have the Red 4 door 5speed with the FORD decal in the back window. I live in Trenton ON now; but I am up there all the time seeing my family and friends up there. I am gone to Key West Florida right now with work. We should get together some time.

Hey Flofocus what do you mean by your question?

You originally posted this in the "Want to buy" Section. That usually means your looking to purchase something.

I moved it though, were all good. :)
Mike Harrington,Feb 27 2006, 01:59 PM Wrote:Hey Oscar the Grouch. I'm from North Bay too.... What colour is your Focus? I have the Red 4 door  5speed with the FORD decal in the back window. I live in Trenton ON now; but I am up there all the time seeing my family and friends up there. I am gone to Key West Florida right now with work. We should get together some time.
[right][snapback]172412[/snapback][/right]

Gold with Black tails. This summer, it will have the 7 spoke Motegi MR7's back on.

[Image: car7.jpg]

Sorry bout the pic, only one I have till i get home from work. We could get together, but on the stipulation that beer and wings are available. :beer:
Never had that problem, and we've had the car for almost exactly 2 years now. Swerve, don't tank!

That ought to be the Focus owner's motto!

I'm in North Bay as well... we'll have to get a mini-meet going sometime in the spring if you're around.
As far as I know, there are no known issues on the tie rods. I'm on my original ones anyhow.

I'll assume it's road hazards that are killing them. Also, it could be a sign that something else is worn and not properly taking the impact.
The end links on these cars are garbage from the factory. They are a cast piece with ball in socket ends on them. The sockets are rubber filled which means two things, no true weather seal, dust will eventually destroy them, and they will have slop in them right from day one as the rubber will compress (letting in dust and grime that will eventually destroy them.

When you replace them, go to Canadian Tire and buy the end link replacements they carry for $17 each. They are a solid piece of steel tube with welded ends complete with boots held on by spring clamps and are filled with a lubricant. I'd guess they would last longer than the car. I also know we have two left in stock at my store on Preston Crossing, I ordered two for my car and a couple for the next Focus that comes through the shop with the same problem.

The difference in quality between the parts is rediculous, The stockers actually came apart as I was taking them off the car.

I've never seen a car come through the shop for a tie rod problem however, and there are a few Foci going through the shop. I had a faulty rack and pinion assembly in the Focus, and the boots on my axles were cracking at under twoo hundred kms but after they were replaced it's never had a front end problem other than the end links.
Come on now....you can't call it getting to gether between two or more guys without it sounding wierd unless there is beer and wings involved. I have plans for coming up to the big bay for Canada Day weekend. We should have a little mini meet like "NOS2Go4Me" suggested. We would have the perfect reason to go cruisin and to have a few at the end of the day.
Honkeytonk MonkeyHow hard is it to replace them. do you need any special tools for the job. and how long does it take to do. Cause mine are the original and I am going to replace them before the day they break when I least need them too.
Mike, you can access the lower bolt from under the car, and access the higher bolt by turning the wheel to lock, or removing the tire altogether. It's best to do the links while the car is sitting on it's tires though, so ramps or a full lift. I did mine in Canadian Tire's shop at work. To install the new links, if you get the better ones from CT, you're going to need a slim 18MM wrench to hold the the link while you tighten the bolt that holds it in place. If you don't you'll end up twisting and wrecking the boot on the ends. Park tools sells bicycle wrenches that work quite well and are fairly surdy. They are 2.5mm thick which is what you need for the job.
Thanks I will be doing that this weekend.