FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Wtb / Please Donate: Old Comps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's that time of year (almost): spring cleaning!

In the process of doing that, if you guys have any older computers / chassis with some of the following parts still intact and attached:

Motherboard
CPU / HSF
Power supply
RAM
Network card (THIS IS A BIGGIE)

I'd be interested in bargaining for the computer's detainment and subsequent release into my custody ;)

I've got a dual-format distributed computing setup finally running at the house. i recondition / refit older computers and use them for Stanford University's (fairly) well-known Folding@Home project.

Here's a link to Stanford's main site and they have a quicklist on the right hand side of current projects and progress made: http://folding.stanford.edu/

If the computer is sitting there doing nothing, I'll give it a good home.

Minimum requirements: P3-500, 128MB RAM, working PSU/motherboard/hopefully a network card, although I have some extras.

For the geeks, I've attached a network diagram explaining how it works.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b322/log...workRevised.jpg

I'm not looking to shell out silly amounts of cash here as these comps will be doing DC work and sucking up electricity. It IS a good cause. Donations are most gratefully accepted (in computer form, not cash). :)
damn, where was this post last week when i was looking to find someone to take ownership of my Power PC box... complete with ATX PSU, SCSI & IDE drives, RAM, PCI Network Cards, Etc.. i would have gladly gave it away for free to u noz
The code I have for both boot environments is X86, but I think I can get a hold of the guy that did the original image compile and get the PPC version ported over. Shouldn't be too hard.

So if you guys know of any iFarted PPCs sitting around, let me know and I'll contact the PXE env. guy and see if it's possible.

I appreciate the offer anyways Paolo. :)