FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Police Testing (yet Again)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hope you make it this time.
Good luck to yah.
Whats involved in the physical test?
Is it like the ones here for normal cops in Toronto or are you doing something better?
Best of luck to you, here's hoping this time you make the cut so you can pursue your dream :)

NefCanuck
tdot-zx3,Feb 14 2006, 08: Wrote:Whats involved in the physical test?
Is it like the ones here for normal cops in Toronto or are you doing something better?
[right][snapback]170520[/snapback][/right]

Bobbing for doughnuts? :lol: (joke, I know lots of cops. Unfortunatly none are in the traffic division :rolleyes: )

The physical is a small part of it, it is a must have but once you are beyond a "pass mark" it means very little.

I don't know many beat cops but the resumes of some of these guys who are seargents and above would shock most, they shocked me and I'm usually immune. There are some real hardcore quality dudes in Metro experience and academic wise. I wish I could hire them away for my work, they could make a real killing in private business but thankfully they they are dedicated to policing.

This potential OPSU strike makes me VERY mad. If any of you hippies wants to take the subject on with me then go for it...........
Well I ask because I did a mock Peel test and ate it alive.... It was not even the slightest bit hard...

So I wonder if its harder in the prairies?

Granted its also your weight s2 that plays a huge factor... Im only 6'0 175-180... so its a tad different for me.
2001 ZTS,Feb 14 2006, 09:06 PM Wrote:

Bobbing for doughnuts? :lol: (joke, I know lots of cops. Unfortunatly none are in the traffic division :rolleyes: )

The physical is a small part of it, it is a must have but once you are beyond a "pass mark" it means very little.

I don't know many beat cops but the resumes of some of these guys who are seargents and above would shock most, they shocked me and I'm usually immune. There are some real hardcore quality dudes in Metro experience and academic wise. I wish I could hire them away for my work, they could make a real killing in private business but thankfully they they are dedicated to policing.

This potential OPSU strike makes me VERY mad. If any of you hippies wants to take the subject on with me then go for it...........
[right][snapback]170528[/snapback][/right]

Something we agree on... is it similar to the CUPE strike they're threatening province-wide?

I haven't called my brother-in-law for days, cause I'm afraid the subject will come up. I like the guy, and I have a feeling he's against the strike, but I don't wanna press it.

They're going to strike over pension allotment and management. PENSIONS! They should consider themselves lucky that their employer not only offers one, but contributes as well. That's more of our tax dollars feeding their retirement after our tax dollars feed their paycheques!

I'm sure they deserve their cheques. I simply don't see what gives any unionized employee the right to strike and remove services from a deserving public that already pays their cheque because they disagree with PENSION MANAGEMENT. That's what the CUPE strike is about, anyhow.

Sorry about borging your thread, Chad.
tdot-zx3,Feb 14 2006, 07: Wrote:Whats involved in the physical test?

It's an obstacle course, basically in a figure 8 pattern, 6 laps and in each lap is a stair pyramid, two bars to jump over, a 6 foot long mat to jump over and a ton of pylons. On average a good lap time is around 20 seconds. After that you go directly to a push/pull station anchored to the wall. You have to push 80 pounds and walk in 6 arcs touching the wall on each side (the machine acts as a pivot) and then after that you do 6 arcs pulling the 80 pounds. Right after that you go to another station that has a 3 foot high steel bar that you have to jump over 10 times and alternate a push up/sit up. Once your done that they clock your time. You then get like 20 seconds before you have to do a 100 pound bag carry for 50 feet which is NOT part of the timed test but required to pass. You have technically 4:45 seconds to finish the test. 90% of people pass it, it's honestly not that hard but it's harsh on the body if your not used to doing much for working out. ALOT of people go in without much training and literally are puking, damn near passing out after it.

It's not as hard as what I'm sure Toronto's testing is but it's competitive as the better you do, the better you look.....

There's a course layout of the POPAT (Police Officer's Physical Abilities Test) below..... it's from Regina's City Police Website but it's the same for Saskatoon. There's links on the right side of the page and videos....

http://www.police.regina.sk.ca/j_popat.htm

It looks 'slow' as in your doing a light jog which you are but it's designed to give every single applicant a MAX HEART RATE after 2 minutes of testing.
CUPE has nothing to bitch about. IBM just cut all benefits after retirement and Overtime earnings no longer count as pensionable earnings.

There goes my retirement... anyone else want to overpay me for techie work?

Good luck with the test Chad...
tdot-zx3,Feb 15 2006, 12: Wrote:Well I ask because I did a mock Peel test and ate it alive.... It was not even the slightest bit hard...

Granted its also your weight s2 that plays a huge factor... Im only 6'0 175-180... so its a tad different for me.
[right][snapback]170561[/snapback][/right]

It wouldn't be anything to you with your training you do. Like I said 90% pass it. I got a little less then 100 pounds on you and a few inches taller but keep in mind, I'm just a typical 3 day a week weight training/30 minute cardio type person that eats extremely healthy (and this is only about 6 months now) but needless to say I've heavily improved.

Example....

Pathetic as it sounds, about 2 minutes of a jog this past spring would be about all I could do (decent pace, out of breath) but last night for example, at the gym, first time using a treadmill, I was on there for over 20 minutes on an incline and at a very quick pace and it didn't seem to really cause me much grief. Super excited after that, basically any nerves that I had before are gone and I'm looking forward to this testing.
NOS2Go4Me,Feb 15 2006, 06:57 AM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Feb 14 2006, 09:06 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]170528[/snapback][/right]

Something we agree on... is it similar to the CUPE strike they're threatening province-wide?

I haven't called my brother-in-law for days, cause I'm afraid the subject will come up. I like the guy, and I have a feeling he's against the strike, but I don't wanna press it.

They're going to strike over pension allotment and management. PENSIONS! They should consider themselves lucky that their employer not only offers one, but contributes as well. That's more of our tax dollars feeding their retirement after our tax dollars feed their paycheques!

I'm sure they deserve their cheques. I simply don't see what gives any unionized employee the right to strike and remove services from a deserving public that already pays their cheque because they disagree with PENSION MANAGEMENT. That's what the CUPE strike is about, anyhow.

Sorry about borging your thread, Chad.
[right][snapback]170567[/snapback][/right]

No worries about borging man, not at all.......

Are you talking about the Metro Toronto Police or OPP? I think it's pretty standard across the board for police service to have quite an exceptional benefit package along with as mentioned pensions that they contribute to also. I haven't looked into it but there's pages of 'benefits' in the info I've seen.

Does anyone have any news links on this potential strike? Just curious as I've heard nothing of it yet.....
Actually CUPE is Canadian Union of Public Employees, and they're threatening to strike by Thursday. OPSU is Ontario Public Service employees Union (OPSEU?), might be the same thing or affiliated anyways.

OPSU may be the Ontario Police Services Union, but I've never heard of that before.
Yeah I'm part of a union here (SGEU) which is Sask. Government Employees Union and they've threatened strike action last summer I believe. It truly sucked even for people in the union. It's almost like even the union member's didn't have alot of say, which was really strange, as we had a vote and a bunch of meetings. It seems that it's started up by the union management first and then taken to the members.

I don't know, I just go day to day, not much care about union issues actually even though I do believe it's very important in my current job. It's almost like it's so far past my head that I don't even need to concerm myself with it.

So I'm going to assume then that police service is under the OPSU? I know here the police service has it's own separate union, not part of the cities public works (at least I'm 99% sure).....
tdot-zx3,Feb 15 2006, 02: Wrote:Well I ask because I did a mock Peel test and ate it alive.... It was not even the slightest bit hard...

[right][snapback]170561[/snapback][/right]

The peel test is pretty easy if you train for it a little! I passed it all with peel but didn't make it past the final interview.... not really sure why but I'm planning on going back and trying it again!

Now Going back 2 yrs.... Might have changed a little not sure but

Here in ontario for most of the other areas aside from PEEL (they have thier own physical) use a standardized testing which sounds the same as what is described above for Sask, but the only difference is that you don't have the 3FT Bar Jump and pushup/situp.... from the push/pull excercise you go straight to the bag pull but it is 150lbs, and it is part of your time. You have 215 sec to complete the circut.
Chad you would make one scary looking cop. Good luck and if you do make it please take it easy on us skateboarders. I say that because I yet again got another fine for skateboarding lol.

For any one who hasnt met Chad he's a giant LOL. I think I come up to his knee cap.
darkpuppet,Feb 15 2006, 08:45 AM Wrote:CUPE has nothing to bitch about.  IBM just cut all benefits after retirement and Overtime earnings no longer count as pensionable earnings.

There goes my retirement... anyone else want to overpay me for techie work?[right][snapback]170577[/snapback][/right]
But you see, this is where you have it backwards.

Rather than looking at the situation from "well, I don't have it, why should they?" look at it as "too bad I don't have a unified voice bargaining on my behalf to keep companies from reaping profit at the expense and sufferring of their employees (or worse yet, their retirees)". A union would have fought to keep the company from raping their retirees.

Or is IBM unprofitable?

I don't blindly agree with everything that unions do, but I'll take one over not having one.

On topic, good luck with the test.
ZX3TUNR,Feb 15 2006, 05:15 PM Wrote:For any one who hasnt met Chad he's a giant LOL. I think I come up to his knee cap.
[right][snapback]170633[/snapback][/right]

Chad make me feel short and i'm 6'1"
Haha, well I've 'shrunk' somewhat in size but packed on alot of muscle in the past 4 months or so.

I still can't understand why I weight what I do. I'm pushing 260 pounds right now and I'm not fat at all actually.

On a side note, I think it's my size that limits my cardio as I got 'literally' close to 100 extra pounds more then an average 'recruit' going though the testing.....

I was actually told by the recruiter that even though my time was about 20 seconds off the average, considering my size, it was a very good time I clocked in the course.

I think I was the only one that 'tossed' the 100 pound bag in the air at the end of the test (you have to lift it off the floor and walk 50 feet) less then 10 seconds after you finish the timed portion and most people wait for the 1/2 minute to catch their breath before lifting it. I'm currently using over 100 pounds as a workout weight when I do my arm curls (two arms together, not singles).
good luck with this Chad, you know what they say 3rd times the charm.
OAC_Sparky,Feb 15 2006, 01:15 PM Wrote:But you see, this is where you have it backwards.

Rather than looking at the situation from "well, I don't have it, why should they?" look at it as "too bad I don't have a unified voice bargaining on my behalf to keep companies from reaping profit at the expense and sufferring of their employees (or worse yet, their retirees)". A union would have fought to keep the company from raping their retirees.

Or is IBM unprofitable?

I don't blindly agree with everything that unions do, but I'll take one over not having one.

On topic, good luck with the test.
[right][snapback]170654[/snapback][/right]

I'm on the inverse of that. My little brother was in some BS union when the No Frills he was working for decided to "lay off" people, even after being lauded by the boss as one of the most flexible and dependable guys there.

Unions promote everyone, retain the un-needed, and protect the guilty from instant recriminations for their actions. Why else is the term "city road crew" or "Toronto construction worker" a slur? Because you see 5 guys standing around watching 1 guy dig a hole. Your tax dollars pay for each of them to stand there, however.

Also, I have a jackass brother-in-law who can't check his own oil in his car, but he's unionized and receives a wage increase at set intervals regardless of merit or performance aside from minimums. He's a pipefitter / welder apprentice, and if any serious company knew how stupid he really was - they'd fire him on the spot for a gross lack of competence. But now that he's hired, he can't be fired unless he meets some wacky criteria, and he knows it. Every time we lower our IQ going to my wife's sister's place... I can feel the rage building up. This is the same guy that commented that his engine bay was dirty (clean it, asshole!) and "Is that my exhaust?" - while pointing to his intake hose on his 350 V8. *sighs*

Unions and solidarity are grade-school gang antics that appeal to blue-collar workers who haven't got a hope in hell of getting by in the working world on their own, on their own merits. I'll have worked in the same office now (with promotions) for 4 years this summer, successfully garnering raises regularly due to MERIT, PERFORMANCE and CREDIBILITY... all without the aid of a union. I'm offered yearly training because they WANT me to stay, not because they have to train me. My company's under no such obligations. Same for the benefits and pension contributions.

If someone said they were unionizing this office, I'd flip the union monkey the bird while chewing out the retard that invited such madness while walking for the door.

Legislation is what's needed to ensure that PUBLICLY-PAID employees are treated fairly, all the while protecting taxpayers' dollars. I saw my brother's pay stub while in Toronto in January, and I got to see what they took off a kid that worked as a stock boy, albeit supervisor with a tad more pay. It completely negated his bonus as a shift leader. I guarantee you they were making less than non-union counterparts (I have friends that work for stores here in NB and area that aren't unionized... yet), but they were being led to believe they were making more. That's wrong. But the union execs don't care as long as they're being paid to negotiate ludicrous terms in exchange for a healthy salary.

Sorry, but that's my opinion. And that's not even public employees.
Pages: 1 2 3