FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Cars From The Us
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know EXACTLY what is involved when you import a car from the US...Taxes, fees this kind of thing....

also the car would be either a '04-05 audi S4 or '02-'03 bmw M3....so my guess is that it would not be any different than the Canadian car...

any help here would be helpfull
excellent thankyou.....I wonder if there is a import agency out there that would just handle the deal....the difference in cost of the car permits ALOT of elbow room for someone to make some money as an agent
dad,Feb 13 2006, 12:52 PM Wrote:excellent thankyou.....I wonder if there is a import agency out there that would just handle the deal....the difference in cost of the car permits ALOT of elbow room for someone to make some money as an agent
[right][snapback]170048[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, cars are way cheaper in the US. I'm kicking myself for not buying an STI in the US instead of my WRX.

Hell, even a $5000 dirt bike is $1000 cheaper in the US!
I have found an average of 15k swing in costs for an '04 S4......after the dollar conversion.......
ELISE ELISE ELISE ELISE..... I mean if you import, might as well be really original ;)
cant run that car through my business Marc......besides would I even fit in that car?
dad,Feb 13 2006, 02:03 PM Wrote:cant run that car through my business Marc......besides would I even fit in that car?
[right][snapback]170184[/snapback][/right]
I'd find a way to fit.
Do it yourself. It's dead simple. After you purchase the car you have to give the heads up to the border crossing approximately 48 hours in advance you will be crossing.
Have your paper work handy ( you need purchase agreement and notice of where the car was made)
When you get to Canada you need to go to your local CT and have the car pass a registration check and then submit the paper work to the Ministry of Trans. to get ownership papers for Ontario.
Then the usual plates, stickers, emissions?? etc.
yea I have done some home work today and it does not seem that difficult....however time is money and presummably if I am working while someone else is importing the car for a fee than it may come close to a wash....or at least an acceptable fee ....if you know what I mean
Don't forget, you need documentation to prove that the car meets all applicable Canadian laws. Some cars do not. Like, you can't import an EVO, because it doesn't pass our 5mph bumper laws. I believe you can't bring in an STI because of the HID's, etc....
you also apparently need a certificate that indicates if the vehicle is clear of any recalls or that the recalls have been satisfied....which is easy if you buy it from a dealer but you have to go to the manufacturer if you buy the car from a private source.
Let me know how it goes... I just wish i could find an agency to do the work for me Maybe i'll import an STI in the summer depending on the cost involved.