FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Duratec Engine Cover
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've got an '05 ST with the 2.3L Duratec, and am a little disappointed that not very many aftermarket companies are making engine covers for our engines yet.

I mean, apart from Cosworth that wants $150 USD for one.

Personally I think the COP look is a little cluttered.

So I picked up a sheet of 18ga Stainless, and am in the process of fabricating one, I picked up a small metal brake to make the bends properly. And a hand air shear

I was curious if any other Duratec guys are interested in something like this. I'm not trying to make a crapload of money, just basically cover expenses for the steel (stainless or galvanized you can paint yourself) and defray my investment in the brake and shear.

And as a side note, I do have a day job, so if I make these they won't be a next day shipping thing.

I'll post pics when I get underway (I know I know, TTIUWP), just sending out some feelers.

OAC_S
Might be something I'd be interested in, specially since I can get my dad to powder coat the resulting product for me. Depending on wat they looked like.
Nah... not just yet.
Well, it's done:

Made one error in judgement -- I used 16ga Stainless, was a little hard to work with (it's pretty tough to cut, even with an air shear), but it turned out alright. I think next time 18ga will be sufficient.

Before:

[Image: 2006_0206_232054AASmall.jpg]

After:

[Image: 2006_0304_235421AASmall.jpg]

[Image: 2006_0304_235435AASmall.jpg]

B)
HOW MUCH....holy crap...i love it...i have A BAZILLION IDEAS NOW....

How much to make one for little old ME....
Looks excellent - would that fit the 2.0 Duratec? And yeah - how much?
Slimsride,Mar 4 2006, 11:46 PM Wrote:HOW MUCH....holy crap...i love it...i have A BAZILLION IDEAS NOW....

How much to make one for little old ME....
[right][snapback]173402[/snapback][/right]
Thanks, at the moment, I'm testing out the mounting system to make sure no unexpected issues come up, and I have to get an accurate price on the steel (the place I bought the stainless gave me 16ga instead of 18ga, and the price was based on weight). So if all goes well I can get a price in a few days.

What I'm trying at the moment is using four pieces of black fuel injection hose, two on the rear rocker cover studs, and two on the ears on the fuel rail. The four stainless screws that you see on the cover hold four "stakes" that slide into the hose, so that the cover "seats" on top. My intention -- KISS -- is to keep it on good but still allow the service tech to be able to yank it off without major hassle (or chancing him messing the cover up). There is a punched out hole (top left corner) so that you can access the oil fill without removing the cover.

I'm guessing ballpark is $50-$60 plus shipping for stainless, a little less for galvanized if you want to paint it yourself. The cover would include the hose, clips and stainless screws and nuts and the edging around the cover.

I'll probably draw up some printable plans (template) for those that want to do it themselves, but let's make sure the mounting setup works first. I'd feel kinda stupid sending out units that don't work as planned.

So like I said, give me a bit to test it out.
Well put me on the list when you decide to actually send out the unit, or the plans....
OAC_Sparky,Mar 5 2006, 12:20 AM Wrote:Thanks, at the moment, I'm testing out the mounting system to make sure no unexpected issues come up, and I have to get an accurate price on the steel (the place I bought the stainless gave me 16ga instead of 18ga, and the price was based on weight). So if all goes well I can get a price in a few days.

[right][snapback]173404[/snapback][/right]

Looks nice, have you noticed any heat issues with that setup yet? I have no idea if any heat escapes through the top of the engine but it'd be something to check.

I'm gonna see how things go money wise and if you're interested in making these at the beginning of April I'll give you a poke about it.

NefCanuck
Looks great! We've gotta meet up sometime at Timmies, i'd love to check out that intake and engine cover!
I dunno..I am not feeling that cover at all...sorry!

what metal brake did you use? a vise mount one from princess auto?

Looks good, but i have to agree with bunny, just doesn't seem right
I think what you guys are missing ar ethe sides and or front to this cover. I think it looks nice but it would look nicer if you did something with the sides an or front. Either way nice clean job of what you got there.
Nice work looks like it can be on the market and do well.
So much better now it hides all the wires and that mess under the hood LOL

:bowdown:
NefCanuck -- no issues yet, mind you, the weather's cool but then, the front and sides are open. I think I've stood it off the top enough to avoid it.

Microbunny -- assuming you have a Zetec, yeah I wish that we could get a nice neat little cover like you guys but as you can see from the top pic the Duratecs have a rat's nest to deal with with all the COP and hoses. The Mazdas have a whole engine cover ($200, with a big honkin Mazda logo) to make it look good. Kinda had to work with what we have.

Schade -- It's the 30" brake from PA. I've got it bolted to a 2x8 that I can put in my workmate. The bends aren't as crisp as i'd like, only because the brake is designed for 17ga sheet metal not 16ga stainless (a lot harder to bend) but with thinner 18ga it works great.
OAC_Sparky,Mar 6 2006, 08:15 PM Wrote:NefCanuck -- no issues yet, mind you, the weather's cool but then, the front and sides are open. I think I've stood it off the top enough to avoid it.

Microbunny -- assuming you have a Zetec, yeah I wish that we could get a nice neat little cover like you guys but as you can see from the top pic the Duratecs have a rat's nest to deal with with all the COP and hoses. The Mazdas have a whole engine cover ($200, with a big honkin Mazda logo) to make it look good. Kinda had to work with what we have.

Schade -- It's the 30" brake from PA. I've got it bolted to a 2x8 that I can put in my workmate. The bends aren't as crisp as i'd like, only because the brake is designed for 17ga sheet metal not 16ga stainless (a lot harder to bend) but with thinner 18ga it works great.
[right][snapback]173602[/snapback][/right]

better late then never...

I got a duratec..thats why i commented!!

f***er!!

only took me 6 months to snap back!! :lol:
microbunny,Aug 14 2006, 09:48 PM Wrote:better late then never...

[right][snapback]202396[/snapback][/right]
Must be the 2.0L Duratec....explains the slow reply.

:o Oh SNAP!
OAC_Sparky,Aug 14 2006, 09:54 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]202399[/snapback][/right]

you know how it be....0-60 in 6 months flat!
How hot does it get up there? how about metal & CF one?
OAC_Sparky,Aug 14 2006, 09:54 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]202399[/snapback][/right]

Oi, 'bunny boy there has the STOCK 2.0L Duratec (Hence the slow "stock" reply :P :rofl:)

How is that cover working out for you? Any issues you've noticed?

NefCanuck
Pages: 1 2