FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Vw Sighting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was staring at the back end of this VW in the parking lot wondering why it had even caught my eye.... something about the way the exhaust was molded into the bumper.... I just couldn't put my finger on why it 'seemed' special....

first the front...

[Image: 11-02-06_1307.jpg]

anyone guess the car? should be simple to name as I've stated already that it oozes special.

To be honest, I can't say I've ever seen a car that just feels special without looking special. It just has such presence.... I can't describe it.

and no, I wouldn't even consider buying one myself
Phaeton,....nice!!

W12? or V8?
Eg & Laird eh, what did you get from Crappy Tire and/or Future Shop.

As for the car it is a Phaeton and probably the exact same one I posted about a couple months ago as it is the same colour in and out, I saw it in the same neighbourhood and there just ain't many around.

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.php...3320&hl=phaeton
maybe it was all the chrome from the front end was deflecting all that daylight into your eyes and it dazed you for a minute... :lol:
[Image: 11-02-06_1304.jpg]

yup... I forgot about your sighting Andrew, most likely the same Phaeton.

I'll be the first to admit that on paper, there doesn't seem to be much going on with the phaeton, but the truth of it is that the car just looks tight and oozes quality.... I can't even describe it, it's just something you feel when you're looking at it.

I can't say I've seen many cars that look as solid as this... even supercars don't appear this well assembled.
I worked as a VW mechanic for 2 years. VWs are not as well assembled as they appear. They look good, they drive good but they have the worst electrical and electronic problems I've ever seen. Most VWs are assembled in Mexico and that makes for a horrid end product. Germany assembled VWs are much better, chances are that the Phaetons are built in Germany at the price they start at. The W12 engine is an engineering amazement, I have to give them that. 12 cylinders of smooth power in the space of a medium sized 8 cylinder engine.
This quote is more than 1-1/2 years old but shows how rare these things are. I see more Masearti Quattroportes and Aston Martins and Bently's on a day by day basis which is why I made that post months ago:

Just how much of a mistake was it? If you to go by Canadian sales for the month of June 2004 alone it would look like a blunder of major proportions, being that only 2 were sold across the country. In comparison 96 BMW 7-Series were sold in June. The Phaeton reached what looks to be its "critical mass" in Canada during the month of April, when it achieved a total of 10 units sold. But on average, VW has only managed to sell about 6 cars per month during the first six months of the year for a total of 35 above the 49th parallel.

In the U.S. sales are no better, at least on a per capita basis. But according to Len Hunt, speaking to the media during the March 1st announcement of his promotion to Vice President in charge of the Volkswagen brand in the United States and Canada, the Phaeton is beginning to find its audience. Where buyers are more brand-conscious, such as on each coast, the full-size VW hasnt done that well, but the VP said in the middle of the country, where consumers size up the car on its own merits rather than just the badge, its doing better.

Full article (intersesting especially when taken in light of the other thread about VW job cuts):

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Volkswag...a-mistake/186/0

I'd love to come across one in a used car lot a decade from now low priced after being confused for a Jetta or Passat. I'm sure and can almost guarantee it will happen too. There have been stories of Chysler TC's being sold as LeBarons, I experienced it myself but was too poor at the time to grab it.
like I said, on paper and in 2 dimensions, the car looks like nothing special. But in person... it's a whole other matter.... that's a nice freakin' car

You noticed it and so did I and we both posted about it.

Both you and I see every kind of exotic and rare cars almost daily as par for the course but somehow we both think the Phaeton is unique.

Congrats, you've got: Understated conservatism.

Welcome to the hood!
NOICE car
yeah nice car. also what I find ironic, this VW sigiting post is beside the vw to cut 20,000 jobs :P ahh well, this may be the last time we see the phaeton on the roads.
i sat in one at the auto show a few years back, along with the toureg (sp?) and loved them both, tights cars for sure...

but $100K....meh.
2001 ZTS,Feb 12 2006, 12:19 AM Wrote:You noticed it and so did I and we both posted about it.

Both you and I see every kind of exotic and rare cars almost daily as par for the course but somehow we both think the Phaeton is unique.

Congrats, you've got: Understated conservatism.

Welcome to the hood!
[right][snapback]169914[/snapback][/right]

I'd still take the aston martin or quatroporte myself tho... my only complaint is that aston martins are a LOT smaller in person than they look in the pictures... except for the vanquish...
seeing how the v8 is sooo much cheaper than the kick-ass w12.... and it's t.dot... it has to be the v8. It's easier to tell with the euro-spec v-dubz.
There's one parked here at work... one of magna's execs. nice car... but i'd definatley take the ferrari or the gt2 that park beside it :lol:

Not my 100g's
I saw a Silver Phaeton at the Esso at Park Lawn and Lakeshore yesterday while I was getting gas. It was a beautiful car. It had Ontario plates and the old guy driving was in buying a coffee and getting directions. Not from around here I guess.