FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Exhaust Gone Bad On A 02?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My mom has a 2002 ZX5 and it doesn't even have 100,000 km Its been driven all year round. She has been saying for awile that the car isn't performaing as well as it use to and it made alot of rumble noises.

I took it for a drive it did feel sorta slugish and it sounds like a heat shield was rataling like crazy. She took it to her mechanic and they said it needed a new exhaust. I picked her up since she was leaving the car overnight and they had already ordered a MADE IN CHINA TIN CAN FULL EXHAUST. Entire cat back and even has a cheap looking lunch box. I wasn't to happy about that as she wasn't even given an option of an OEM or aftermarket one and they didn't tell her any prices. This thing better be $100 -$150 tops, and the worse part is I don't even think it needed a exhaust. What do you guys think?
If it's sluggish and rattling, maybe a collapsed catalytic converter? Too much back pressure, combined with the platinum catalyst vibrating. I'd tell the shop not to bother with the exhaust, send it back, and take it somewhere else.

Oh, and even the cheap aftermarket cat-back exhaust for these cars is $400. That's how I justified the MBRP to the accountant (aka wife). :)
reldridge,Jul 30 2009, 09:48 AM Wrote:Oh, and even the cheap aftermarket cat-back exhaust for these cars is $400. That's how I justified the MBRP to the accountant (aka wife). :)
[right][snapback]291953[/snapback][/right]

Ditto
We'll see about that because if thats the case they will be getting an ear full from me.
Shady dealers FTL. Next time, have her specify IN WRITING at the time she drops off the car (at ANY dealer) that any change from the scope of work or any work to be done as the result of exploratory labour MUST be either verbally approved or have written approval. It might take a little longer to get the car back, but then you don't end up with situations like this.

My dealer tried that once years ago, and they suffered for it. It's on my service record / account (for any new hires to the service dept.) that they have to call me for anything at all, even if it's extra grease or whatever.

The bad part is, did she approve it when told of it? Was she told of the fact it was a knock-off exhaust? Some dealers need to lose their franchise in order to teach the "herd" a lesson, methinks.

My advice is to switch dealers. Being down south and all that, that shouldn't present much of a problem.